When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Matt42 said:

I’m kinda hoping that when hot weather comes around doing nothing won’t feel so bad. It wasn’t so bad last summer, made good use of London’s parks.

yeah, the first lockdown was glorious for the weather which made it much easier. 

Life with covid was always going to harder once we returned indoors after the summer.

I was starting to feel quite hopeful but the headline news about the BMA calling on the government to halve the vaccine dose gap today has set me off worrying again.  I just want to know that people (including my clinically vulnerable parents) will be fully protected, based on solid evidence, even if it takes a bit longer. 

I can cope with other restrictions staying in place for the rest of the year but I just want to see my parents and I want them to see their grandchildren.  They’re growing up so fast.

6 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

What exactly are AstraZeneca doing? Are we currently basically the only country in the world getting substantial doses of the stuff?

Hoping we don’t get hit by supply Issues which would upset the great progress made. 

Pfizer are having the same problems. If i had to guess, its a general issue in terms of mass production of vaccines

EU havent helped by taking so long to approve it either TBH

Edited by zahidf

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Thanks all - yeah last week there were a few things with COVID that just really got me down.

I love my job, and I imagine that I’m not alone in this, but I virtually live to work at the mo as it’s the only thing bringing some sort of stability. I hate to say it, but work gives a little bit of an escape and the hours pass by.

This week was a kick in the balls as it looks like the time I’ve taken off for summer holidays won’t be going anywhere. Hard to explain as well but I’ve got to take a certain amount of time off before the end of April (year end stuff) and it’s just bleak because I really should be using this time to do something fun! 

Of course I’m not alone in this but it feels like at the moment it’s really hard to have any kind of a break from this mess. Very grateful to still have a job, but it is hard when works the only solid thing going!

Yeah I completely relate to that thing of work keeping you going. I'm freelance so was worried at the start of all this that I might be let go, but have been lucky to be working on full pay throughout. It really has been a godsend to have some structure and routine.

That said, like you I just didn't see the point in taking holiday (being freelance I technically don't have to either, which doesn't help, although my partner is employed and does have to use his up, so am kind of nudged by him doing so).

Last year was a bit ridiculous as I didn't take any more than the odd day off until October when we forced ourselves to go away in the UK for a week. We didn't do a lot, but it was so worth doing. But I just never saw the point in taking time off to just sit around the flat and I suppose I've kept thinking that it's not for much longer. And it won't be now, but it's still worthwhile taking a break.

Was kind of dreading the two weeks I took off over Christmas but in the end it was really nice to sleep late, read, exercise, watch TV etc and we made the most of it. Appreciate it's always easier for me to say that living with a partner, but it is definitely worth taking the time off as otherwise you just risk burnout. 

I have two little trips booked for May and July, but if they can't happen this year I'm still going to make myself take the time off.

And yeah the weather definitely makes a difference. Feel way more cooped up doing this in winter. The fact it's dark when I start and finish work doesn't help.

Hang in there dude. Light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

8 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yeah, I'm just wondering how so many people are coming in. Unless they're all business travellers and returning nationals.

I expect it could be returning nationals/people will leave to remain coming back to avoid the rumoured quarantine? I dont really want to judge based on photos. As per the summer, you can get an picture which shows something as being more crowded than reality e.t c

7 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I completely relate to that thing of work keeping you going. I'm freelance so was worried at the start of all this that I might be let go, but have been lucky to be working on full pay throughout. It really has been a godsend to have some structure and routine.

That said, like you I just didn't see the point in taking holiday (being freelance I technically don't have to either, which doesn't help, although my partner is employed and does have to use his up, so am kind of nudged by him doing so).

Last year was a bit ridiculous as I didn't take any more than the odd day off until October when we forced ourselves to go away in the UK for a week. We didn't do a lot, but it was so worth doing. But I just never saw the point in taking time off to just sit around the flat and I suppose I've kept thinking that it's not for much longer. And it won't be now, but it's still worthwhile taking a break.

Was kind of dreading the two weeks I took off over Christmas but in the end it was really nice to sleep late, read, exercise, watch TV etc and we made the most of it. Appreciate it's always easier for me to say that living with a partner, but it is definitely worth taking the time off as otherwise you just risk burnout. 

I have two little trips booked for May and July, but if they can't happen this year I'm still going to make myself take the time off.

And yeah the weather definitely makes a difference. Feel way more cooped up doing this in winter. The fact it's dark when I start and finish work doesn't help.

I'm technically on holiday at the moment. From furlough. Yay.

It does mean I get full pay rather than just 80% and we aren't allowed to carry it over to next year so have to use it up before end of Feb. By the time our year ends I'll have done less than 5 months work

And I was looking ay my Google maps timeline for a (grim, desperate) laugh the other day. Reminded me it's exactly a year today since I last saw my mum

25 minutes ago, zahidf said:

They are coming back in aren't they?

It’s distorted by:

- most terminals being closed and many airports too meaning a concentrated entry point 

- customs not being properly staffed because apparently it’s fine to have covid spread in long queues at the borders 

- having passport and test checks in one place doubling the queue time

10 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Very similar experiences here. The weekend is the same as the week just without the structure or talking to different people really.

I've actually found myself doing bits and pieces of work over the weekend and evenings just to kill the boredom, I'm not one to sit and watch hours and hours of TV or films (although I like documentaries on in the background while working or the cricket). 

Last year I had had 3 days off between between 3rd of January and of September (I changed job in September following remote interview etc... In February / March.. still not met anyone!) Other than that I took 2 days off. I was dreading the boredom of two weeks off over Xmas but actually really enjoyed it. I've not really seen the point in taking days off before Xmas but since then I can see the appeal as I found it really refreshed me. 

I've redisovered my love for Football Manager and a couple of my mates from home who are spattered across the glob have rediscovered a computer game we played when kids, none of us are by any means 'gamers' but that has been a great bit of escapism and a chance to catch up on teams etc... And basically dick about and hear some different voices.

The company I now work for has been really good and is encouraging us to finish early on Fridays and take a walk or something and enjoy the outside in the daylight while on the clock. Equally we have a virtual pub once a fortnight in my part of the business where one of the team who's really into his cocktails has started to suggest a cocktail and share the ingredients and then shown people how to mix it. Other random topic of conversations are discussed like what do you call a bread roll? And just other random crap like that. Its actually really nice to have a few hours of escapism. 

• Like 1