When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

33 minutes ago, BobWillis said:

This can’t be right, the nurses and doctors on tv keep telling us there’s loads of young people in hospital this time around? 

You nearly have to squint to see those 15-44 lines. 

Its a rate per 100,000 rather than an absolute number, and there are a lot more young people than there are over 80s so the proportion of 80s in hospital will be a lot higher

Without lockdown and the schools being closed, the daily cases would be ridiculous wouldn’t they!! Would easily top 100,000 a day. Surely even the biggest sceptics of lockdowns are now seeing exactly why they are required - the push back against them seems to be dwindling (as awful as they are). 

Just now, st dan said:

Without lockdown and the schools being closed, the daily cases would be ridiculous wouldn’t they!! Would easily top 100,000 a day. Surely even the biggest sceptics of lockdowns are now seeing exactly why they are required - the push back against them seems to be dwindling (as awful as they are). 

yeah, NHS would definitely be overwhelmed by now.

I just keep thinking though, what would we be doing if there was no sign of a vaccine being available for the forseeable...?

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, NHS would definitely be overwhelmed by now.

I just keep thinking though, what would we be doing if there was no sign of a vaccine being available for the forseeable...?

Getting a new govt. Vaccine has got them off the hook.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Why won't vaccinating the vulnerable end lockdown?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55757369

Sociologist Prof Robert Dingwall, who advises the government on the science of human behaviour, believes that point will be reached sooner rather than later.

"I think we will see a pretty rapid lifting of restrictions in the spring and summer.

"There are some sections of the science community that want to pursue an elimination strategy - but once you start seeing fatality levels down at the level of flu I think the public will accept that."

4 minutes ago, Oboy82 said:

So govt still has no interest on offering insurance so every fest going ahead would be at own financial risk. Expect full festival write off this year then https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/22/government-stalls-on-insurance-scheme-for-uk-music-festivals

my reading of that is that they want to offer insruance past a certian point ( i.e, if they say it can go ahead in JUly, July onwards)

Higher deaths because of higher case numbers, and higher case numbers because the government opened up too early in December and allowed Christmas mixing. Now "very uncertain evidence" of the new strain being more deadly gets them off the hook?

Will definitely be waiting for the real evidence of this before believing it...

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Higher deaths because of higher case numbers, and higher case numbers because the government opened up too early in December and allowed Christmas mixing. Now "very uncertain evidence" of the new strain being more deadly gets them off the hook?

Will definitely be waiting for the real evidence of this before believing it...

I suspect it could be it results in more deaths because its easier to transmit. But let's see what happens when they get more evidence.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

I suspect it could be it results in more deaths because its easier to transmit. But let's see what happens when they get more evidence.

more deaths because the health service is unable to give the same levels of care because of the numbers both in hospital and the numbers of workers ill or isolating .....