When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

why not teachers or transport workers?

From the article

Under the Institute's plan, the nation's 500,000 teachers and 600,000 transport workers would only be in the second phase of the vaccine rollout, but would be at the top of the priority list for that phase.

Just now, zahidf said:

From the article

Under the Institute's plan, the nation's 500,000 teachers and 600,000 transport workers would only be in the second phase of the vaccine rollout, but would be at the top of the priority list for that phase.

It makes sense with the idea that you can vaccinate teachers and send kids back to school, but they'll still transmit to their parents so keeping them closed til March time is probably the only answer. I think he's on about doing the supermarket workers and police like now.

Not sure how that particularly boosts the economy but it definitely gives some protection to those who are public facing now

18 minutes ago, alanr said:

That makes my blood boil. Little Britain mentality.

Spain, by contrast, has said everyone is welcome to the vaccine and they won't make any judgements. Doesn't matter even if you are undocumented and not legal in the country, you can get the vaccine.

The fact that cases went up to 60,000+ for a week or so makes it appear that 40,000 is steady progress - but that’s still way too high. Concerning as we have been in lockdown for approaching 3 weeks now so really should have been expecting a more drastic decrease. 

Just now, st dan said:

The fact that cases went up to 60,000+ for a week or so makes it appear that 40,000 is steady progress - but that’s still way too high. Concerning as we have been in lockdown for approaching 3 weeks now so really should have been expecting a more drastic decrease. 

Not really. if R is 0.8, and its a 20% decrease, its pretty much in line

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

I think it’s because of the fork of lockdown we have that cases aren’t falling as sharply and in some cases appear to be plateauing. The government will say it’s because we aren’t following the rules when it’s more likely it’s the rules themselves that’s the issues. 

With today's number the UK is now into 2nd of major countries with the highest deaths per capita (behind Belgium) in the entire world.

Given that Belgium saw 48 die to our 1,401 today we may go on to overtake them.

Pretty shameful stuff. So many people on this board could see that being lax at Christmas was complete folly. 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think it’s because of the fork of lockdown we have that cases aren’t falling as sharply and in some cases appear to be plateauing. The government will say it’s because we aren’t following the rules when it’s more likely it’s the rules themselves that’s the issues. 

we got a big drop off from the numbers in highly populated areas like London that went into lOckdown early .... everyone joined at different stages so its quite hard to work out where we are ? 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

we got a big drop off from the numbers in highly populated areas like London that went into lOckdown early .... everyone joined at different stages so its quite hard to work out where we are ? 

Yeah, might watch the press briefing, interested to see what Whitty, Vallance and Bojo say. I guess it will be a lot of we're turning the corner, but still have a long way to go etc.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

It is yeah, I took that to mean as cases were so high the initial impact of this lockdown got that down but to get it down further and quicker they would need to tighten them a bit more maybe, I could be wrong though. 

15 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Wonder if this is a precursor to stronger restrictions? Lockdown clearly isnt working in bringing the numbers down 

How can you say the bold bit with such conviction? There are 15k fewer cases this week than last. Given the size of the peak in cases it was always going to take longer to get down to manageable levels even in a lockdown.