When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Cancellation and business interruption cover is one thing, but good luck in finding a company willing to insure for communicable diseases for the forseeable future......

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/22/government-stalls-on-insurance-scheme-for-uk-music-festivals#comment-146898438

Not to be insensitive at all, but outside of care home residents and breakouts in those settings, how come so many 85+ are still being admitted to hospital? 
On the basis that these won’t be going out to work etc, and we are all still in a lockdown so there is nowhere for them really to be visiting. I would like to think people aren’t visiting their elderly relatives in person at this stage of the pandemic with the new strain still so rife.

Are some picking up the virus whilst getting out getting the vaccinations do we think? Or are they coming in with non-Covid issues and then picking it up whilst in hospital? I can’t think of any other explanations. 

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

Not to be insensitive at all, but outside of care home residents and breakouts in those settings, how come so many 85+ are still being admitted to hospital? 
On the basis that these won’t be going out to work etc, and we are all still in a lockdown so there is nowhere for them really to be visiting. I would like to think people aren’t visiting their elderly relatives in person at this stage of the pandemic with the new strain still so rife.

Are some picking up the virus whilst getting out getting the vaccinations do we think? Or are they coming in with non-Covid issues and then picking it up whilst in hospital? I can’t think of any other explanations. 

got it off their grandkids over christmas.

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

How many 85+ people do you think can cope in daily life without at least some sort of support from family or care providers? Be it care, cleaning, washing, food shopping etc. It's the main reason why the whole 'lock down the vulnerable/elderly only' argument doesn't work. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, steviewevie said:

got it off their grandkids over christmas.

or carers taking it in seems more likely ... lots of agency being used to cover the home where my friends aunt and other friends mum are ... and now have it .... they still haven't sorted this protection ring around them 😞 

2 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

How many 85+ people do you think can cope in daily life without at least some sort of support from family or care providers? Be it care, cleaning, washing, food shopping etc. It's the main reason why the whole 'lock down the vulnerable/elderly only' argument doesn't work. 

Of course - hadn’t really thought of that! Naivety on my part as my family members who were lucky enough to make they age were more or less self sufficient right until they passed, but obviously appreciate this isn’t the norm or the case for the majority. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

1066530516_Screenshot2021-01-22at15_35_36.thumb.png.6327f99ed8d54bbe9eb0a6806fdf0f45.pngI think in a month or 6 weeks ish we will be in much better shape re hospital figures/ deaths. This is England only but clearly a huge amount still coming from the 75+ category who will all have one dose soon enough.

Time will tell!

This can’t be right, the nurses and doctors on tv keep telling us there’s loads of young people in hospital this time around? 

You nearly have to squint to see those 15-44 lines. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2