When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Frankly if shutting us off from the world for a time gets us to a place where I no longer have to worry if my kids can go to school or stay over their grandparents whilst we go out for drinks with our friends then I’m all for it.

Edited by Mimo
  • Upvote 1

Just now, st dan said:

The thought of International travel in a global pandemic (with the exception of returning nationals) is utterly absurd anyway. 

What about e.g. families who live in different countries?

A parent who leaves a poorer country for a better paid job to provide for their family? 

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

What about e.g. families who live in different countries?

A parent who leaves a poorer country for a better paid job to provide for their family? 

yeah...well...it's rough. There are a lot of people here who have family in other countries...my missus for example who has an elderly mum and other family all in Japan...she wants to get over there but can't. But, feels like govt might want to try and get cases down as low as possible, and avoid these other variants coming in...which means tighter restrictions on the borders,,,similar to what they have done in east asia and oz/nz. The only problem is, how long does it last? because unless tackled globally it's always going to be out there.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

we might become a vaccinated covid free island paradise...?

I have little doubt we will lose our nerve at introducing the critical 'controlled quarantine' plan that's needed to truly make that work. And too many infected hauliers will come having got through the ropey quick testing.

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’m fine with zero covid and shutting off to the world as long as we rapidly invest in getting vaccines out to other countries once we are done here. Don’t want to be holidaying in Cornwall every summer for the next decade. 

We've just dropped our pledge on percentage of international aid, which tells you all you need to know about the government's vision for supporting the wider world.

MUKGA hats incoming...

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

We've just dropped our pledge on percentage of international aid, which tells you all you need to know about the government's vision for supporting the wider world.

MUKGA hats incoming...

There’s a slight difference between altruistic foreign aid and ploughing money into vaccines that get travel up and going in order to benefit our own citizens. I’m talking about Spain and Greece, not third world countries. 

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

MUKGA hats incoming...

but it actually in our interest to sort this out globally...hopefully leaders in of the wealthier countries understand this..

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

There’s a slight difference between altruistic foreign aid and ploughing money into vaccines that get travel up and going in order to benefit our own citizens. I’m talking about Spain and Greece, not third world countries. 

We're going to use UK budget to spend on supporting Spain and Greece? ('rapidly invest')??

12 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The new James Bond film has been pushed back to October. 

So way over a year after it was meant to be released? Surely at this point they should just do what Disney did and put it up for online purchase and sell it to a streaming service?

Or are they THAT worried about the loss this film is going to make.

Imagine after all these delays it gets poor reviews lol. What was the point. Surely it costs a lot in marketing to keep delaying.

Edited by Matt42