When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

I understand that everyone wants to be hopeful but it's the naivety that makes me laugh.  As the WHO say, no one is protected until we are all protected so as long as other countries are not able to fully vaccinate then expect tests and isolation on entry to every country and for it to be strictly enforced hence why even the tories are floating the idea of using hotels for it. That will kill tourism stone dead this year, not to mention the idea of bands touring even if socially distanced gigs return. 

Also just for the original variant,  the new clinical trials started are due to run for 3 years. Things aren't going back to what we think of as normal.  

5 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Surely if they want it the 2032 games would be theirs? 

They've been struggling to actually find hosts recently.

It's a money pit now for any nation that doesnt have 90% of the infrastructure already built in a host city. Or just any city that does not have a practical use for facilities built for the sole purpose of the games. It really hits winter olympic hosts the hardest. World Cup is similar nowadays.

Who wouldve thought that Biden couldve came up with a better syringe to get more doses out of every vial.

8 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

It seems like we are all on the same page with things being opened up slowly (the correct decision) but what are your predictions for when the following will be back? Apparently the scientists have told Spaffer May at the earliest...

Gyms/Hairdressers/non-essential retail etc:

Pubs, restaurants, cinemas etc:

Events (with distancing measures):

International travel:

In the EU they have now proposed a roadmap for international travel.

International travel allowed but only with both test and quarantine for now, will be no longer required when countries have a rate per 100,000 and positivity rate that is no longer classified as red. So could travel to Greece, Finland and Norway right now.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

International travel allowed but only with both test and quarantine for now, will be no longer required when countries have a rate per 100,000 and positivity rate that is no longer classified as red. So could travel to Greece, Finland and Norway right now.

For a second I wondered why we're greyed out? Then I remembered...

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood but are you saying that once a country leaves a red category, then BOTH the quarantine and test requirement is dropped? 

7 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I’m presuming lockdown will go on until at least the Easter break. I can’t see schools going back before then.

You’d imagine - unless there are more variants - that the extra two weeks could make a big difference to the vaccine rollout? 

7 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Apologies if I’ve misunderstood but are you saying that once a country leaves a red category, then BOTH the quarantine and test requirement is dropped? 

Yeah, I believe so.

So I think if the UK were in the EU our numbers would need to drop from present 520 cases (per 100k) down to <150 cases to no longer be red.

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

People shouldn’t be going to large house parties and I’ve got no issue throwing the book at them but those £800 fines will do precisely fuck all to suppress the spread. 

What happens if there’s only 14 people at the party?

Slap on the wrist?

8 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I imagine it'll be versions of lockdown, where you can meet x amount of people in certain locations. I really doubt we'll be in this lockdown till the summer.

They’re well aware of the mental health struggles these lockdowns are bringing.

Surely the rule of six outside or forming another ‘bubble’ with at least one other household so we can see family will be on the agenda soon?

26 minutes ago, xxialac said:

My friend lives overseas a country that has had a handful of Covid cases, and was back to normal with zero covid after it closed its boarders 

It used.tonhave daily flights from the UK these are no fortnightly. You have to have a negative test 72 hours before travel, and then quarentine for 2 weeks on arrival. If you live there your quarentine can be done at home (your basically tagged) and if your not your in a hotel at your expense. People have been jailed for breaking quarintine.

On the last flight that arrives from the UK 14 tested positive during quarentine. 

Just now, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

My friend lives overseas a country that has had a handful of Covid cases, and was back to normal with zero covid after it closed its boarders 

It used.tonhave daily flights from the UK these are no fortnightly. You have to have a negative test 72 hours before travel, and then quarentine for 2 weeks on arrival. If you live there your quarentine can be done at home (your basically tagged) and if your not your in a hotel at your expense. People have been jailed for breaking quarintine.

On the last flight that arrives from the UK 14 tested positive during quarentine. 

Taiwan? 

German professor on why we can't reopen when the vulnerable are protected. Makes for tough reading.

"The moment we open the door and we get a quick infection, we have an enormous and unfortunately long-term and tough sick leave. People are not that sick after an infection. But they won't come for the next three or four months more on their feet, they are always sickly. They can always be put on sick leave. As an employer, you can only look at that and consider what to expect when you get into such a situation. It is also of no use to the employer. When everyone is allowed to go to the restaurant again and the schools are all completely open, but the workforce is constantly on sick leave, and that will come. That is practically certain. For this reason alone, those who should who think about this entire subject from an economic point of view, simply make it clear that nothing is likely to be gained for the economy, but rather that the economy will be rendered a disservice if you want to ease too quickly. "

16 minutes ago, xxialac said:

My friend lives in a city in Latin America that had a tonne of Covid and their politicians acted quickly and made good decisions and now they haven't had a case in 6 months.

Caracas?

Yeah, it's mental isn't it. 

It is mental, the government here in the U.K. is the main reason we are seeing such a bad pandemic in this country. I’ve said it before but we have the worst possible Prime Minister at the worst possible time.