When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, jannybruck said:

Anecdotally, a friend who works in an ICU was told earlier in the month to expect hospitalisations to peak this week. So hopefully.

Depends a little bit where in the country you are. Where I am the itus are still full, patients are being transferred between regions to help manage demand and all elective operations stopped. Fingers crossed it should get better soon but care is still needed to help avoid inadvertent transmission. Also important to say that if you do need treatment you will get it but it's stretched. 

Just catching up on that outbreak programme which was on ITV earlier this week.

Fucking hell the Chinese government are dodgy aren’t they.

Gutting to think we’ll never fully know the truth nor will they be punished for being a bunch of C U Next Tuesdays.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Almost as much  as the UK one.

The bar is pretty high given our government but the Chinese govt are so far above it for what they’ve done / didn’t do, I don’t think it can be understated.

They were fully aware of human to human transmission and allowed everyone to travel across the country to celebrate Chinese New Year.

Seriously.

Edited by JoeyT

Something I’ve really noticed when going shopping is the majority of people walk by the hand sanitizer and don’t appear to be using it, on a micro level it’s worrying but on a macro level it’s terrifying that people seem to think there better or immune, now obviously some people may use their own or wear gloves (still not great). What are peoples thoughts on this and observations. What can stores do about it? @crazyfool1 - what have you noticed

11 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

The bar is pretty high given our government but the Chinese govt are so far above it for what they’ve done / didn’t do, I don’t think it can be understated.

They were fully aware of human to human transmission and allowed everyone to travel across the country to celebrate Chinese New Year.

Seriously.

They allowed people to travel round the world with it. Not a big leap that they figured it in their favour to share the pain. 

That said I think that was a good lesson for our lot with this new strain as I wouldn't have put it past us to cover up our December issue...

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

They need to do something - I guess whatever they do would look like an incentive to catch it and be paid to stay at home, but it is balanced out by £500 not being that much for a 2 week isolation....

25 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Seriously.

To be fair though.... We almost let everyone do this, almost a whole year later. I do see your point, and it is fucking shady in many respects, but I do partly think the complete magnitude of the problem maybe hadn't manifested itself. Or if it had, they didn't have a fucking clue what the best public health approach was. Totally shitting themselves probably. We had the benefit of hindsight almost, having seen it play out already, and what did we do? Fuck all. 

Edited by Sasperella

With the new that Glasto has been cancelled, it reinforces my belief that there will be a cautious approach throughout this year. The focus just needs to be on getting people vaccinated and giving the NHS some well earned rest and respite. 

Large scale events and such will not be possible, safely, until 2022 in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Seriously.

I watched that, they could’ve easily contained it within China and stopped it spreading to the rest of the world. They effectively ignored it and denied it’s severity seemingly on purpose to allow it to spread out of the country first over new year.

They’ve also tried to create a narrative to suggest the virus originated elsewhere:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/29/a-year-after-wuhan-alarm-china-seeks-to-change-covid-origin-story

Shady as fuck 

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Sterling rising on the vaccination roll out going well

20210121_215330.jpg

The FT headline is misleading and they should know better as it's not as simple as that. Sterling is also rising because of other factors, in particular the Biden-related market sentiment. 

And it's a *very* modest rise. Here's the last nine months against the euro.

image.png.4daa38f2bab4a0c5ba2522a8cd71e89d.png