When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 minutes ago, xxialac said:

One issue that might arise though is that EU is seriously considering closing its borders to non-EU countries.

That wouldn't last till June id have thought.

I'd assume they'd be an exception for Sport. And i don't see that being feasible in Summer months anyway given the importance of the summer season for a lot of countries in the EU

Edited by zahidf

43 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Something we ought to be wary of and i realised yesterday, is the UK gov are now including lateral flow tests in their overall testing figures on the dashboard and positivity rating (this apparently started a couple months back). As we know these aren’t the most reliable, it is making me take the test positivity rates with a pinch of salt. Some other countries do not do this and base their positivity rates and number of positive cases on PCR only... I didn’t actually realise any of that because it looks like we are doing significantly more testing now than other countries but that’s just down to us counting use of lateral flow tests when in reality our PCR testing is similar to other countries.

It doesn't make a difference though as the PCR capacity is at 800,000+ tests daily, so the daily test requests are still below capacity and anyone who has symptoms is able to have a test. 

12 minutes ago, zahidf said:

That wouldn't last till June id have thought.

I'd assume they'd be an exception for Sport. And i don't see that being feasible in Summer months anyway given the importance of the summer season for a lot of countries in the EU

Yeah, agree with all that.

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Medical grade masks?

Is there enough of them about?!

For starters they need to stop this medical exemption ( self diagnosed ) loophole ... no mask no entry ... that stops any kind of confrontation... and if you can’t wear one working the same will need to apply .. online is available and so is help if necessary ... the numbers of exempt yesterday was ridiculous... despite the supposed clampdown ... I believe in many countries exemption doesn’t exist when out and about ?! 

Just now, steviewevie said:

I was hearing this morning on radio some Israeli saying they're going to have vaccine passports for people who've had 2nd jabs so they can go to certain social places...

That's one way to make sure younger people don't follow the rules 

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

I think the issue I've been having and i'm sure countless others are having is with the generalisation of when this will end with words such as "few" or "soon" or "in the coming months"

The fact is there isn't an end date really, which makes the current stage we are at all the more frustrating.

Western Australia for instance had a very clear road map which shows what you could / can look forward to. I've attached below for reference (albeit now out of date). Why can't our government produce something similar? It would certainly give us all something to work towards.

COVID-19-WA-roadmap - My Beach

image.png

Absolutely this. A 'few months' is an indeterminate amount of time and is actually quite a long time to be in lockdown when you think about it. 

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Anecdotal only, but apparently any left over Pfizer vaccines which MUST be used are going on NHS staffs second doses after the 21 day period if there is no one available to take it as a first dose

That’s what I’ve heard from my partner from first hand experience 

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

interesting

Yep, they really didn't help themselves with the emergency use authorisation after 70 odd patients, but since then they have followed the normal scientific protocol for reporting their data. It looks fine, similar to the OX/AZ jab (immune response wasn't as robust, but their efficacy data is similar and would probably benefit from the same extended gap between doses). The very interesting thing from their data is that the lyophilised (freeze-dried) version of the vaccine didn't lose much in the way of potency in terms of the immune response elicited, making shipping an absolute doddle compared to the Pfizer jab (room temp vs -70 odd degrees). How a freeze-dried version of the OX/AZ or J&J jabs perform (which are very similar, in fact the J&J jab is essentially one step of the Russian one) would be interesting to know and would be a big help once they start getting rolled out in parts of the world where even refrigeration is difficult. 

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Anecdotal only, but apparently any left over Pfizer vaccines which MUST be used are going on NHS staffs second doses after the 21 day period if there is no one available to take it as a first dose

They're going to need it at some point anyway. Anything better than wasting it!

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Hopefully some more big vaccination numbers announced later today- can't afford many dips to reach the mid Feb target. If it's clear the numbers are gonna be lower at the weekend too we need weekday numbers to be consistently high.

65 more centres have opened up as well

There is some quite encouraging data buried in the headline Israel figures:

According to preliminary results published last week from a study of 600,000 recipients of the Pfizer vaccine, of 4,500 Israelis who tested positive after receiving their first vaccine dose, 244 were admitted to hospital because of the coronavirus in the first week following the jab,.. In the second week after the jab, 124 people were taken to hospital, but after that only seven more people fell ill enough to stay in hospital.

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/covid-vaccine-israel-vaccination-roll-out-transmissibility-programme-palestine-834999?ITO=msn

That suggests to me a very high real-world efficacy in terms of serious cases, which are after all the most important from a personal protection point of view.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

65 more centres have opened up as well

I really think that March time the daily figures will be gigantic when the kinks are ironed out and more centres are going for longer (24/7) and more vaccines are available. Plus the age groups they are doing atm must be the slowest to get done (care homes and over 80s).

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

what's a 'mass event' tho?

The numbers aren't actually relevant, because it's not like everyone is in close contact with everyone. 

Which ultimately means a large wedding of say 200 people might have more cross-infections than Glastonbury for 200,000 people.

Other than outdoor events though, everyone is breathing the same air.