When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Quite a decent chance of full herd immunity there .... imagine being one of the few that doesn’t want it ... 

They may be protected but still won't be able to travel and the nightmare of being stuck on the paradise island of the Seychelles will continue.

Edited by xxialac

3 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Fair play to them as well. Looking at the rate administered per 100 people is the most fair way to compare between countries too, so by all means they are just nudging ahead of the UK at the mo!

Yeah definitely. Different conditions to transport the vaccine round but still a great effort nonetheless!

3 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Fair play to them as well. Looking at the rate administered per 100 people is the most fair way to compare between countries too, so by all means they are just nudging ahead of the UK at the mo!

Yeah but the logistics behind arranging a rollout for less than 100k people is somewhat easier than that of 68m. 

3 minutes ago, st dan said:

Yeah but the logistics behind arranging a rollout for less than 100k people is somewhat easier than that of 68m. 

Yes but they will have considerably less people to sort out and organise the rollout and less resources and less people to administer. I personally think looking at vaccines per adjusted pop is the same as looking at case rates per adjusted pop.

Just saying they are doing a good job that’s all! (As is uk- some other countries need to speed the hell up!)

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Yes but they will have considerably less people to sort out and organise the rollout and less resources and less people to administer. I personally think looking at vaccines per adjusted pop is the same as looking at case rates per adjusted pop.

Just saying they are doing a good job that’s all! (As is uk- some other countries need to speed the hell up!)

Oh yeah appreciate that, they have of course done well and the adjusted population is the only real way to compare. I was just saying that they won’t need mass vaccination sites to be created etc like many others have had to organise - all which will take time. 

Edited by st dan

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Lovely to be discussing the vaccine rollout of the sunny Seychelles today ... 🙂 .... the ups and downs of this thread 🙂 .....who would have thought we would be discussing this one year ago 🙂 

Indeed. What a nice change of pace.

It’s good to celebrate the successes of other countries and take positives where we can get them!

They do like a nice fruit bat curry on Mahe. They used to sell them frozen in the supermarkets when I was there many, many years ago. Wonder if they're a bit more wary now...

https://www.thecreolemeltingpot.com/fruit-bat-curry-kari-sousouri/#:~:text=Unlike fruit bats in other,and are safe to eat.

Something I was thinking about is that I think that even though the UK is moving at a much quicker rate on vaccination than a lot of EU countries, I think we will all be looking at a similar time for easing in the spring. Provided the new variants aren’t more transmissible in the summer (SA variant is spreading like wildfire in the heat over there which is concerning) then we know this virus is seasonal so probably all countries will be easing restrictions around April/May.

Obviously the faster you vaccinate the more lives you save but in terms of looking purely at when restrictions will ease I don’t think our faster vaccinations in Q1 means we will have more relaxed measures than the EU in Q2.

Things took a turn for the worse again come September 2020 so as long as the whole of the UK and EU can achieve “herd immunity” through vaccination by the end of Q2/August, then a significant 3rd wave/spike could be prevented come autumn in all of these countries. So essentially, if the EU can approve AZ and up capacity and rollout, I think they will see very similar “freedoms” that we will see this summer. The most important thing right now is getting our horrendous death toll down, but similarly a lot of EU countries are doing this through lockdown and rolling out vaccines (albeit slowly so far).

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Something I was thinking about is that I think that even though the UK is moving at a much quicker rate on vaccination than a lot of EU countries, I think we will all be looking at a similar time for easing in the spring. Provided the new variants aren’t more transmissible in the summer (SA variant is spreading like wildfire in the heat over there which is concerning) then we know this virus is seasonal so probably all countries will be easing restrictions around April/May.

Obviously the faster you vaccinate the more lives you save but in terms of looking purely at when restrictions will ease I don’t think our faster vaccinations in Q1 means we will have more relaxed measures than the EU in Q2.

Things took a turn for the worse again come September 2020 so as long as the whole of the UK and EU can achieve “herd immunity” through vaccination by the end of Q2/August, then a significant 3rd wave/spike could be prevented come autumn in all of these countries. So essentially, if the EU can approve AZ and up capacity and rollout, I think they will see very similar “freedoms” that we will see this summer. The most important thing right now is getting our horrendous death toll down, but similarly a lot of EU countries are doing this through lockdown and rolling out vaccines (albeit slowly so far).

Well not all of the EU is in lockdown ( France for example just has a curfew)

IN theory, if vaccinating more people reduces infections/death/hsoptialisations, restrictions will be lighter for us than elsewhere

40 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I’m not really sure what’s going on there tbh. Have a couple of friends who live out there. Lockdown just got extended until mid feb yesterday and actually the measures were tightened too. Numbers are on the way down though but daily death toll is very high from pre Christmas infections.

Vaccines are very slow. Only looking at 50-60,000 a day. On a good day it will be 90,000. Obviously using only Pfizer and Moderna so far but it just seems like it’s not really taking off it’s feet. The latest Pfizer delays will only slow them down more. EMA really needs to get moving with the AstraZeneca approval. Hopefully next week.

It's the same here to be honest. The Pfizer vaccine is the only one we have in any meaningful quantities and it's just not suitable for the type of mass vaccination hubs we have ready. The Moderna one is fine (and our entire shipment was administered in one weekend to GPs and practice nurses last week to road test the hubs), but we are only getting a trickle of it at the moment (though it was welcome as originally we were told we'd get nothing til March/April). Expect things to ramp up significantly when OX/AZ gets approved. Here we have asked AZ to deliver early (before the approval) so that doses can be sent to all mass hubs and vaccination can start immediately after the EMA decision (presumably if it wasn't approved, we'd just have to hold on to them til it is...but I don't expect that to happen). When Pfizer was approved it took about a week to get the deliveries, get them shipped within the country and start vaccinating (though it was over Christmas), so hopefully having stock in situ and ready to go will speed that up (also, the EMA approved the Pfizer vaccine early, so if that happens with the OX/AZ one, we'd like to be ready to go straight away!). 

55 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Have never come within 2 metres of anyone at my local polling centre, except for maybe at the desk when signing in. Could all be masked though and would feel safer than the supermarket I reckon, especially with numbers down a lot by then. Local elections in particular don't exactly have a major turnout!

Take your own pencil!

(Incidentally, I did vote-counting in the 2019 European election. There seemed to be a correlation between people voting for certain parties and those who used their own felt tip 🤣)

2 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Take your own pencil!

(Incidentally, I did vote-counting in the 2019 European election. There seemed to be a correlation between people voting for certain parties and those who used their own felt tip 🤣)

There’s always postal voting too!