When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Simple explanation: they're different "folk". This thread isn't something produced by one or two people. There's loads on here, probably about 50, with at least 20-odd regular contributors. There's certainly no consensus, indeed, there are regular arguments.

When you're behind a screen it's easy to look at something like this and see it as "other" with you on the opposing side. But it's not. It's loads of different others, all with different viewpoints and lived experiences. Are some of those people acting a bit like you point out? One or two maybe. And is the mood here prevailingly negative? Well yes. 1000+ people are dying every day, we can't leave our homes, our hospital infrastructure is close to being overwhelmed. The positive is that "it might end soon". But it's hard to celebrate that as "soon" probably still means 30,000+ more people dying. So yeah it's not going to be all that jolly.

But I'd suggest instead of seeing it as a "thread", see it as a collection of people, all trying to find a way through this mess, as best they can, and sharing ideas, thoughts and feelings that may or may not reflect your own, but are genuinely what they feel, in the moment.

Your expanding far beyond my original point and so you do misrepresent me somewhat. However if my post in any way increases the acceptance and rational consideration of views that are outside of the dominant meme of this thread I'll be happy. 

Edited by HalfAnIdiot
Typo

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

That would probably make sense (though I feel when people start having it...suggested that redundancies may happen that will force them in anyway), as it will be a lot less deadly by that point and really we're again at the point where it's all about protecting hospitals. The only problem is those hospitals have been relentless and they'd probably still fill up 

All of this comes down to the generously low estimate of 25% of hospitalisations being under 55s, that 25% will become an insurmountable absolute number if restrictions were eased. So anything between now and 70% vaccination is allowing people to catch it slowly while waiting for a vaccine to protect the NHS as it has been the whole time. Normal treatments need to happen, and doctors and nurses need a few months away from this before next winter hits.  None of that would happen if we let the virus run loose.  

I do think we need to be trying to either build up the NHS or expand the  private service alongside it to increase capacity - I feel like in all this we're very accepting that the NHS is essentially massively low on capacity.

So essentially I don't think it's pessimistic to write off 2021 for the big things we used to enjoy - it's probably better to understand they aren't part of this "new normal" than to live in false hope

There is no honesty from government though, I've got this feeling that people will be given hope for these things at regular intervals then have it taken away, just as it has been for the past year. But I guess the alternative is people just dropping restrictions like we're starting to see in Europe, because they can't accept the reality of the situation

I’m ever the optimist so I would expect that a sizeable majority of the current estimate of 25% of hospitalisations in the under 55 year olds will be part of the vaccine priority group 9 (16-64 year olds with underlying health conditions). This cohort is planned up to April so hospitalisations may not be as pessimistic as you say for the under 55 year olds

31084D20-0FCD-4303-B68D-F608F03FC7F0.jpeg

2 minutes ago, phimill said:

I was looking at the vaccine data - and could it be down to reporting being out of sync. Monday and Tuesday data sets could actually be Saturday and Sunday actuals. Which would fall in line with todays big increase (i.e. Mondays actuals)

Quite possibly an element of that, but I think there has been a wee dip out with the weekend somewhere. Weekly totals will give a better picture but it is hard not to look daily for me.

13 minutes ago, northernringo said:

That's my dad booked in for his first injection on Sunday so in my house that will be him, my sister and my mum all with their first jab and just me without.

Great news mate. With the improving numbers in NI there’s real light at the end of the tunnel. 

• Upvote 1

Thought some of you might find this interesting - I've just been offered the vaccine through work, which has come as a shock. I work for a Sport and Employability charity, and we're apparently part of a consortium called Living Well UK (LWUK). We do work with lots of vulnerable young people, but not face-to-face at the moment (nor will we for a while, I'd imagine).

Apparently this will not adversely impact on other priority or vulnerable groups receiving the vaccine (these are specific slots that would otherwise go to waste, and is done alongside the existing priority groups vaccination programme). 

Just told the wife who's a teacher and she's pretty peeved off considering teacher's aren't being offered it nor are they part of the key groups.

I can only have this before 24th Jan so it's a quick turnaround. 

Edited by Stokesy10

1 minute ago, Stokesy10 said:

Thought some of you might find this interesting - I've just been offered the vaccine through work, which has come as a shock. I work for a Sport and Employability charity, and we're apparently part of a consortium called Living Well UK (LWUK). We do work with lots of vulnerable young people, but not face-to-face at the moment (nor will we for a while, I'd imagine).

Apparently this will not adversely impact on other priority or vulnerable groups receiving the vaccine (these are specific slots that would otherwise go to waste, and is done alongside the existing priority groups vaccination programme). 

Just told the wife who's a teacher who's pretty peeved off considering teacher's aren't being offered it nor are they part of the key groups.

One of my friends works for a similar charity and has also been offered one

2 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Just told the wife who's a teacher who's pretty peeved off considering teacher's aren't being offered it nor are they part of the key groups.

One of my friends works for a similar charity and has also been offered one

11 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Just told the wife who's a teacher and she's pretty peeved off considering teacher's aren't being offered it nor are they part of the key groups.

Go to waste?!

I wonder if they are trying to forward plan and fill up the un-glamourous nighttime slots at the centres delivering vaccines 24 hours a day?

Edited by JoeyT

1 hour ago, mazola said:

Zero covid is impossible,  it can be achieved in the short term with super strict border controls, lockdown and a functioning track and trace system, but it is not a long term solution. The vaccine doesn't eliminate the virus, but it protects against the most severe symptoms. The virus is with us now and we must learn to live with it.

What we need to see from the government is what the strategy is for coming out of lockdown, if they even have one.

My opinion is it should be based on hospitalisations and deaths, and what figure is acceptable. If we get the figures below that of an average flu year deaths, then it should be business as usual.

I agree with all of this. It’s much more realistic than some of the stuff being bandied about by the likes of I-Sage and Srdhar.

1 hour ago, st dan said:

Hadn’t even considered that but it’s certainly possible. Her words of ‘I was an advocate of closing them last March’ were very direct and very obvious, so she must have other intentions. 

Nothing to do with Covid, she just prefers it if the borders are closed

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Go to waste?!

I wonder if they are trying to forward plan and fill up the un-glamourous nighttime slots at the centres delivering vaccines 24 hours a day?

There's always some vaccines left at the end of the day. Some people won't turn up, the vaccines come in batches of certain numbers, sometimes they're manging to extra doses out of a vial. It's good to have people ready to take these, regardless of what priority group they're in, as other wise they will be wasted as they have to be used that day once they're mixed etc. 

Just now, duke88 said:

There's always some vaccines left at the end of the day. Some people won't turn up, the vaccines come in batches of certain numbers, sometimes they're manging to extra doses out of a vial. It's good to have people ready to take these, regardless of what priority group they're in, as other wise they will be wasted as they have to be used that day once they're mixed etc. 

I wish I Knew how to get one this list ... I can get to my mass vaccination centre at 10 mins notice .... 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

I wish I Knew how to get one this list ... I can get to my mass vaccination centre at 10 mins notice .... 

Pop down and ask someone working there. They'll know how much they are usually "wasting" and im sure will be able to say pop down 30mins before the end of play and we can squeeze you in

• Upvote 1