When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Why doesn't the speaker hold the PM to account in regards to answering the actual questions?

He might as well not be there...

Exactly this is a farce. This is our democracy??? We need serious reform. No point following the rules n traditions of parliament if it does no one any good

19 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Restrictions is so vague though. Can range from mask use in supermarkets to closing schools. Obviously there will be some restrictions for the foreseeable it is just a case of what and when.

Masks on public transport, wfh where possible, social distancing through most of 2021, no indoor nighclubs open - need I go on?

30 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Could we not "flick the switch" in June, but have a law that no employer can compel someone to work outside of home who has not yet been offered a vaccination, and individual furlough at 80% is available for anyone who doesn't want to go to work until that point?

So those who want to shelter until they get the jab can do, and those who want to go out again before can too?

(You could even get fancy and have pub/gig/restaurant entry conditional on either having been vaccinated or opted out, so you couldn't take furlough and still take the mick, and the prioritise the vaccine roll out for people not comfortable going out without it)

That would probably make sense (though I feel when people start having it...suggested that redundancies may happen that will force them in anyway), as it will be a lot less deadly by that point and really we're again at the point where it's all about protecting hospitals. The only problem is those hospitals have been relentless and they'd probably still fill up 

All of this comes down to the generously low estimate of 25% of hospitalisations being under 55s, that 25% will become an insurmountable absolute number if restrictions were eased. So anything between now and 70% vaccination is allowing people to catch it slowly while waiting for a vaccine to protect the NHS as it has been the whole time. Normal treatments need to happen, and doctors and nurses need a few months away from this before next winter hits.  None of that would happen if we let the virus run loose.  

I do think we need to be trying to either build up the NHS or expand the  private service alongside it to increase capacity - I feel like in all this we're very accepting that the NHS is essentially massively low on capacity.

So essentially I don't think it's pessimistic to write off 2021 for the big things we used to enjoy - it's probably better to understand they aren't part of this "new normal" than to live in false hope

There is no honesty from government though, I've got this feeling that people will be given hope for these things at regular intervals then have it taken away, just as it has been for the past year. But I guess the alternative is people just dropping restrictions like we're starting to see in Europe, because they can't accept the reality of the situation

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah. Not loads and loads, and they were socially distanced, but there were small comedy gigs, big outdoor gigs etc. Main one I can think of was the Hot Chip Margate gig - I watched online but you could buy tickets to attend as a socially distanced punter. The Jazz Cafe IN Camden and Ronnie Scott's in Soho were both open for socially distanced gigs.

I didn't go to any of them as I didn't feel it was wise personally. But they were happening. My point is just that if they can do events with restrictions last summer then I can't see why they wouldn't this summer.

My local theatre opened up a tent in the local park so that the performance that were due to be held there could happen socially distanced so I could see some events approaching this instead of outright cancelling or postponing further, there will 100% be gigs, events and maybe some festivals this year but in which capacity will depend on the next few months 

9 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

That would probably make sense (though I feel when people start having it...suggested that redundancies may happen that will force them in anyway), as it will be a lot less deadly by that point and really we're again at the point where it's all about protecting hospitals. The only problem is those hospitals have been relentless and they'd probably still fill up 

All of this comes down to the generously low estimate of 25% of hospitalisations being under 55s, that 25% will become an insurmountable absolute number if restrictions were eased. So anything between now and 70% vaccination is allowing people to catch it slowly while waiting for a vaccine to protect the NHS as it has been the whole time. Normal treatments need to happen, and doctors and nurses need a few months away from this before next winter hits.  None of that would happen if we let the virus run loose.  

I do think we need to be trying to either build up the NHS or expand the  private service alongside it to increase capacity - I feel like in all this we're very accepting that the NHS is essentially massively low on capacity.

So essentially I don't think it's pessimistic to write off 2021 for the big things we used to enjoy - it's probably better to understand they aren't part of this "new normal" than to live in false hope

There is no honesty from government though, I've got this feeling that people will be given hope for these things at regular intervals then have it taken away, just as it has been for the past year. But I guess the alternative is people just dropping restrictions like we're starting to see in Europe, because they can't accept the reality of the situation

A good response. 

Although not clear on your point around 'redundancies'? 

Edited by MrBarry465

5 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

A good response. 

Although not clear on your point around 'redundancies'? 

ah as in if they went down that road of saying employers can't "compel" people in overtly, the employers can just sort of hint at redundancies maybe being needed and it would have the same effect

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Apparently Yorkshire are leading the way when it comes to vaccinations. Any record of that in the figures?

Only interested as I’m racing @crazyfool1 to be the first to get jabbed. 

South west doing pretty well too ... I saw a figure of 9% jabbed here somewhere 

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

ah as in if they went down that road of saying employers can't "compel" people in overtly, the employers can just sort of hint at redundancies maybe being needed and it would have the same effect

I can't see how if someone hadn't had a vaccine yet, was able to do the job effectively at home for the last 10 months - would result in mass redundancies? 

I've already told my company I don't intend to come into the office until I've had a vaccine, it's an entirely reasonable position.

Wonder if Priti’s comments today that the borders should have been closed 10 months ago will be the end of her time in a high level role in the government?

On the top of my head I can’t remember a single one of the others admitting mistakes had been made, we’ve seen constant squirming when they’ve been repeatedly asked, and every time up to now they’ve been adamant the governments approach has been correct all along. 

20 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

My local theatre opened up a tent in the local park so that the performance that were due to be held there could happen socially distanced so I could see some events approaching this instead of outright cancelling or postponing further, there will 100% be gigs, events and maybe some festivals this year but in which capacity will depend on the next few months 

Yeah there was quite a lot of stuff going on like that, most of it outdoors but not all of it. A lot of venues can't afford to put on socially distanced shows so that meant many didn't attempt it, but live music and comedy did happen last year.

Just now, st dan said:

Wonder if Priti’s comments today that the borders should have been closed 10 months ago will be the end of her time in a high level role in the government?

On the top of my head I can’t remember a single one of the others admitting mistakes had been made, we’ve seen constant squirming when they’ve been repeatedly asked, and every time up to now they’ve been adamant the governments approach has been correct all along. 

Is she trying to distance herself for a leadership bid?

May God have mercy on us all.

11 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

I can't see how if someone hadn't had a vaccine yet, was able to do the job effectively at home for the last 10 months - would result in mass redundancies? 

I've already told my company I don't intend to come into the office until I've had a vaccine, it's an entirely reasonable position.

I agree, I just mean the threat of it could be used by the old fashioned types of bosses to coerce people back in - I heard of a lot of that in September when the "get Britain back to work" drive was going on, bosses hinting that those in the office have a better chance "in any redundancy situation" (alongside the Daily Mail pushing that all work could move offshore)

Horrible situation but the market we live in!