When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, MrBarry465 said:

The zero covid strategy is gradually reached over an extended period, vaccinating consistently, aggresively and with restrictions being eased. It just takes longer to get there. The zero-covid strategy is aspirational, it's not something I am saying will be achieved overnight.

It's key that the border restrictions are enforced properly. 

You said we shouldn't be forcing people out to reach herd immunity through people catching the virus naturally when the vaccines are here. So you must be saying close down till we vax about 70 percent which will take all year probs.

15 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Simple explanation: they're different "folk". This thread isn't something produced by one or two people. There's loads on here, probably about 50, with at least 20-odd regular contributors. There's certainly no consensus, indeed, there are regular arguments.

When you're behind a screen it's easy to look at something like this and see it as "other" with you on the opposing side. But it's not. It's loads of different others, all with different viewpoints and lived experiences. Are some of those people acting a bit like you point out? One or two maybe. And is the mood here prevailingly negative? Well yes. 1000+ people are dying every day, we can't leave our homes, our hospital infrastructure is close to being overwhelmed. The positive is that "it might end soon". But it's hard to celebrate that as "soon" probably still means 30,000+ more people dying. So yeah it's not going to be all that jolly.

But I'd suggest instead of seeing it as a "thread", see it as a collection of people, all trying to find a way through this mess, as best they can, and sharing ideas, thoughts and feelings that may or may not reflect your own, but are genuinely what they feel, in the moment.

None left but would upvote this! Great post.

17 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

just watched an article on BBC news about the current state of things in a uk hospital ..... bloody horrendous 😞 

The NHS staff deserve to have their stories heard after this pandemic.

The public need to have it put front and centre imo.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

You said we shouldn't be forcing people out to reach herd immunity through people catching the virus naturally when the vaccines are here. So you must be saying close down till we vax about 70 percent which will take all year probs.

They said September to have the entire population done with the first jab fyi.

My response was to a poster who was effectively saying that there should be no resrictions once the older people are vaccinated, which is really stupid.

Could we not "flick the switch" in June, but have a law that no employer can compel someone to work outside of home who has not yet been offered a vaccination, and individual furlough at 80% is available for anyone who doesn't want to go to work until that point?

So those who want to shelter until they get the jab can do, and those who want to go out again before can too?

(You could even get fancy and have pub/gig/restaurant entry conditional on either having been vaccinated or opted out, so you couldn't take furlough and still take the mick, and the prioritise the vaccine roll out for people not comfortable going out without it)

16 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Simple explanation: they're different "folk". This thread isn't something produced by one or two people. There's loads on here, probably about 50, with at least 20-odd regular contributors. There's certainly no consensus, indeed, there are regular arguments.

When you're behind a screen it's easy to look at something like this and see it as "other" with you on the opposing side. But it's not. It's loads of different others, all with different viewpoints and lived experiences. Are some of those people acting a bit like you point out? One or two maybe. And is the mood here prevailingly negative? Well yes. 1000+ people are dying every day, we can't leave our homes, our hospital infrastructure is close to being overwhelmed. The positive is that "it might end soon". But it's hard to celebrate that as "soon" probably still means 30,000+ more people dying. So yeah it's not going to be all that jolly.

But I'd suggest instead of seeing it as a "thread", see it as a collection of people, all trying to find a way through this mess, as best they can, and sharing ideas, thoughts and feelings that may or may not reflect your own, but are genuinely what they feel, in the moment.

A thoughtful, rounded analysis. Really support this view.

9 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

??? I must have missed that one.

Yeah. Not loads and loads, and they were socially distanced, but there were small comedy gigs, big outdoor gigs etc. Main one I can think of was the Hot Chip Margate gig - I watched online but you could buy tickets to attend as a socially distanced punter. The Jazz Cafe IN Camden and Ronnie Scott's in Soho were both open for socially distanced gigs.

I didn't go to any of them as I didn't feel it was wise personally. But they were happening. My point is just that if they can do events with restrictions last summer then I can't see why they wouldn't this summer.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

The mind boggles. Either way it'll be an absolute howler if Starmer doesn't kick the ball in to this open goal in 8 minutes time...

I would really like to understand the logic behind the lack of any fucking border control until 2021 during the pandemic.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

The mind boggles. Either way it'll be an absolute howler if Starmer doesn't kick the ball in to this open goal in 8 minutes time...

I know it's projection but when I look at her face, all I see is contempt for others.

She's like Basil Fawlty. Incredibly sycophantic to people in power and with status and looks down her nose and bullies everyone else who she considers beneath her. It takes away from any potential 'attractiveness' for me. 

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

To be fair I think the way you suggest is what will end up happening. The government have sort of said that so far. 

Yeah I dont imagine its party time for spring. By summer may be a different matter. And I dont think they'll wait for 70% of vaccinations before doing that