When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I just don't think gigs are coming back until at least next year unfortunately- we're being told all this repeatedly but choosing not to hear it. The government might want to reopen but gatherings are extremely unlikely this year I think - it'll just be pubs and most people will be happy.

By the time we're all vaccinated it'll be time for winter restrictions. You can't reopen gatherings then expect people to stick to the rule of 6 in September onwards again

I don't think anyone with any great authority has said no gigs until next year?

Fauci, for example, touched on it and predicted Autumn for concerts.

As a minimum, small gigs will happen. And that's being incredibly conservative.

The thing is, it was never a certainty that we'd get a vaccine at all let alone so quickly. What if we didn't have a vaccine this year? What was the plan?

There would have been focus on testing to get the big events to go ahead. Now that we have vaccines and can get a good proportion of attendees vaccinated by Summer, it makes the testing much easier as there are fewer people to test.  The combination of vaccinations and testing should mean that events *could* go ahead albeit with risk.

I worry that now we have the vaccine, we've stopped working on the other things needed for events to go ahead and it's just a case of restrictions until the majority of the country have had both doses which writes off any major events until 2022 at the earliest.

15 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I just don't think gigs are coming back until at least next year unfortunately- we're being told all this repeatedly but choosing not to hear it. The government might want to reopen but gatherings are extremely unlikely this year I think - it'll just be pubs and most people will be happy.

By the time we're all vaccinated it'll be time for winter restrictions. You can't reopen gatherings then expect people to stick to the rule of 6 in September onwards again

Thats unduly pessimistic IMO. I can see open air gigs in the summer for sure 

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Thats unduly pessimistic IMO. I can see open air gigs in the summer for sure 

When Vallance is on about needing 70% vaccinated to remove restrictions and then talking about needing something next winter then I think it's entirely realistic- we'll be "lucky" just to see pubs open by June I just don't see gatherings being remotely an option

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

That’s good news! Not sure if another one was confirmed last week or I’m thinking of the Pfizer CEO just saying their one was, either good to have confirmation. 

Yes it’s definitely “highly” effective against the new variant and should be against the SA variant and Brazil variant too (although still waiting for data). 

I was reading last night though that whilst the vaccines will hopefully work against all of these variants, we should expect a reduction in efficacy compared to the efficacy from clinical trials. So hopefully they should still all be “highly effective” against these new variants however efficacy may be reduced from say 95 to 80-85% or so.

That was my understanding of it anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a theory that vaccinating the vulnerable population first could actually cause the virus to be able spread amongst less vulnerable people and mutate further into stronger strains? 

If the above is right I can't see restrictions being lifted until everyone is vaccinated so we're looking at at least autumn for some normality? 

Given our single shot strategy, this seems worthy of much more attention than it's getting:

Israel’s coronavirus tsar has warned that a single dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine may be providing less protection than originally hoped, as the country reported a record 10,000 new Covid infections on Monday.

In remarks reported by Army Radio, Nachman Ash said a single dose appeared “less effective than we had thought”, and also lower than Pfizer had suggested.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/19/single-covid-vaccine-dose-in-israel-less-effective-than-we-hoped

11 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

When Vallance is on about needing 70% vaccinated to remove restrictions and then talking about needing something next winter then I think it's entirely realistic- we'll be "lucky" just to see pubs open by June I just don't see gatherings being remotely an option

I dont see furlough extended to June.

Also vallance didn't say the govt will wait for herd immunity before removing restrictions

Just now, Brave Sir Robin said:

Given our single shot strategy, this seems worthy of much more attention than it's getting:

Israel’s coronavirus tsar has warned that a single dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine may be providing less protection than originally hoped, as the country reported a record 10,000 new Covid infections on Monday.

In remarks reported by Army Radio, Nachman Ash said a single dose appeared “less effective than we had thought”, and also lower than Pfizer had suggested.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/19/single-covid-vaccine-dose-in-israel-less-effective-than-we-hoped

We have discussed this. No solid evdience of this yet

3 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a theory that vaccinating the vulnerable population first could actually cause the virus to be able spread amongst less vulnerable people and mutate further into stronger strains? 

If the above is right I can't see restrictions being lifted until everyone is vaccinated so we're looking at at least autumn for some normality? 

THe govt arent going to wait for everyone to be vaccinated to lift restrictions. No govt will be

4 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Does it not take like 2 weeks to get up to as much protection as one dose can give? It seems premature to me.

The scientific position always has to be don't remove restrictions until everyone (or most people) are vaccinated.

Of course, that is the best case scenario from a scientific point of view.

That's not to say that's what *will* happen. It's not for Vallance or the other scientists to do anything other than give the advice based on the science. It's then for the government to, rightly or wrongly, weigh that up against all of the other things (mental health, economy, PR etc.).

So, just because Vallance says we need 70%+ vaccinated or infected for herd immunity, that doesn't mean that's the approach that we'll take.

Edited by FakeEmpire

When Nick Ferrari, the presenter, asked if Patel wanted the police to be “moved up the ranks” for vaccinations, she said a lot of work was taking place on that issue. When Ferrari asked why that was not happening, if ministers were in favour, and why the police were not being treated like the over-75s, she said a vaccine delivery plan was in place. Ferrari then asked if that meant the police would be “promoted up”. Patel replied:

We’re working to achieve that ... I’ve been saying to policing partners in particular, get ready.

Ferrari then asked what again what was stopping Patel if this is what she wanted. She replied:

We’re working with the JCVI which is the Joint Committee for Vaccination and Immunisations. They are the ones that are determining this, it’s not for politicians.

Just now, FakeEmpire said:

The scientific position always has to be don't remove restrictions until everyone (or most people) are vaccinated.

Of course, that is the best case scenario from a scientific point of view.

That's not to say that's what *will* happen. It's not for Vallance or the other scientists to do anything other than give the advice based on the science. It's then for the government to, rightly or wrongly, weigh that up against all of the other things (mental health, government, PR etc.).

So, just because Vallance says we need 70%+ vaccinated or infected for herd immunity, that doesn't mean that's the approach that we'll take.

Yeah I agree. It isn't rocket science what will reduce infections. Lock stuff down and shut as much as possible and limit interactions. 

That can only continue so long though and it can't be till everyone is vaccinated.

14 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Yes it’s definitely “highly” effective against the new variant and should be against the SA variant and Brazil variant too (although still waiting for data). 

I was reading last night though that whilst the vaccines will hopefully work against all of these variants, we should expect a reduction in efficacy compared to the efficacy from clinical trials. So hopefully they should still all be “highly effective” against these new variants however efficacy may be reduced from say 95 to 80-85% or so.

That was my understanding of it anyway.

I saw that too but I think the changes in efficacy are pretty small and should still give a strong level of immunity to the virus. At the moment anyway.