When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Absolutely but it was an interesting little discussion nonetheless. He raised some good points but as you say we need to vaccinate the vulnerable first.

I wonder how many others in society have that view though?

My boss at work thought we should lockdown everywhere apart from London as that was full of young people making money.

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

This chap in my team at work today on a Zoom call was passionately saying how the government have the vaccine program the wrong way round and they should be vaccinating the young first. The ones going out keep the country running so to speak, your delivery drivers, police, teachers etc. It’s not personally my view but your post made me think about it. 

Absolutely front line medical staff should have been amongst the first to receive it. The best metaphor I can think of is akin to the airplane safety announcement before take-off, always fit your own oxygen mask before helping others. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Absolutely front line medical staff should have been amongst the first to receive it. The best metaphor I can think of is akin to the airplane safety announcement before take-off, always fit your own oxygen mask before helping others. 

I think that was sort of his point. As the elderly in care homes were secluded away so could keep the virus out whilst they vaccinate the people that bring items into the home. I suppose he slightly misses the point about care homes being hit quite heavily but I can see what he means. 

1 minute ago, shoptildrop said:

My job is ethics and CSR management in supply chain, this ruling is a really bad sign of morality ... It's a slippery slope and dread to think how this snowballs into other areas 😞

That’s an 80 seat Tory majority for you 😕

19 minutes ago, Cooter said:

I have a feeling (due to lots of googling!) the vaccine situation, with regards to new strains etc, is about to go tits up.  Hopefully I'm wrong but I think the world has underestimated this thing in a big way.

More specifically, a lot of people are being rightly vigilant about all the things that can go wrong. Immunity evasion, allergic reactions, manufacturing problems.  They all deserve attention... But, despite all the noise, I don't think any of these are going to cause us a big problem. The allergic reactions are pretty small, given the number of jabs given, for every report saying the vaccine won't work with new variants, there are several more predicting or showing they do.

And the manufacturing - well it's going to be a long road to get the whole world protected, but it's going to happen and as privileged residents of the UK (those of us who are), we're all going to be covered by the end of the year.

I'm not dismissing the concerns, but I genuinely believe it's going to be ok. I really do.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

He brought up Indonesia! But didn’t mention the influencers 😂

Think anyone who suggests we follow Indonesian policies shouldn't really be listened to. My mum spends alot of time over there so knows alot of locals and although they don't appear to have suffered too badly from Covid the Dengue fever death are apparently through the roof.  Makes you wonder how many unreported covid deaths there are worldwide.

34 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

No. We have a heavily polarised, predominantly self-righteous viewpoint determined to launch patronising passive aggressive attacks on anyone daring to put forward and celebrate positive news.

I only hang around here for the highly informed and balanced input from @Toilet Duck.

What a lot of nonsense. People are not 'attacked' for putting forward positive news, they may be 'challenged' for making a particular point. That is not the same as being attacked for sharing good news.

And unpicking your previous comment:

"This thread is mostly" (gross generalisation)

"sad world" (over simplified, the very thing you go on to attack people for)

of "heavily polarised" (he says, whilst making a polarising point...)

"over simplified" (really? I see lots of debate on here)

"confirmation-biased & entrenched" (biases are an inbuilt part of being human)

"political views that we now live in" (we are in fact more politically disengaged as a society than we used to be)

Ironically the latest message above is self-righteous, patronising, passive aggressive (and dare I say it, slightly paranoid)...the very things you have accused others of.

Edited by xxialac

26 minutes ago, xxialac said:

What a lot of nonsense. People are not 'attacked' for putting forward positive news, they may be 'challenged' for making a particular point. That is not the same as being attacked for sharing good news.

And unpicking your previous comment:

"This thread is mostly" (gross generalisation)

"sad world" (over simplified, the very thing you go on to attack people for)

of "heavily polarised" (he says, whilst making a polarising point...)

"over simplified" (really? I see lots of debate on here)

"confirmation-biased & entrenched" (biases are an inbuilt part of being human)

"political views that we now live in" (we are in fact more politically disengaged as a society than we used to be)

Ironically the latest message above is self-righteous, patronising, passive aggressive (and dare I say it, slightly paranoid)...the very things you have accused others of.

"Paranoid" - thanks for that. Cheap shot - play the ball not the man. 

My point stands, and I notice has gained some support.

Perhaps you should reflect a little and consider your unconscious biases before responding. That way you might at least mount a coherent and worthwhile defence.

I'm still not confident that we get out of this in 2021, there is far too much 'hopium' going around.

1. 1/3 of patients back in hospital after "recovering", and 1/8 recovered patients is dead, new study

2. Nurses in the UK are nearly in total breakdown mode

3. Portugal hospitals on the brink of collapse.

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’m gonna be raging if that means somehow mine gets delayed ... and yep I’m being a tad selfish ... ffs I hope this isn’t true 

I'm looking forward to finding out how on earth they are going to identify office workers. 

Right lads, let's start with all caucasian men called Gary...

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Wednesday's i

How weird, we’ve just been talking about something similar. I wonder how they’ll go about doing it, I hope that the people that were expecting a vaccine in one of the groups already publicised still get one though. 

2 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Not sure why they keep pivoting and changing strategy, I just wish they would stick to one fucking path for christs sake.

It just smacks of little to no proactive thinking and just pure reactivity. 

At the very least if they go this route then decide early and outline the reasons why clearly. Don’t just leave it till the last moment and leave people hanging.