When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

very sobering .... I dont think words can cover it ..... but thanks so much for all you do

During the first wave we used to discuss the cases & deaths after each shift. Now we really do. Guess it's become our way of getting away from it all. Helped of course by cider and red wine. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Exactly.

It’s correct and fair to point out that the UK has the highest deaths/population reported in the last 7 days.

What’s not correct is David Schneider’s assertion that the UK has “the worst death rate in the world” without any reference to the short time period. Other countries such as Belgium, Czech Republic and Italy as well as a few micro states are higher up the wall of shame than we are. 

To me we should compare ourselves to other islands because we have a fantastic advantage there. We are by far and away the worst island for death rates. To nit Pick the statistics to make a point makes you as bad as those you criticise for doing the same

53 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Israel haven't taken the same approach as us in terms of delaying the second dose, so it appears that those infected after the first dose will have been infected too soon before getting any immune response from the first dose (i.e. within 10 or so days of the first shot), so the title is a bit misleading as the risks of getting infected in that interim period are known and would be there regardless of whether the second dose is delayed.

4 hours ago, Ozanne said:

According to the government it’s not the right time to make comparisons to other countries, this is said whilst they congratulate themselves on one of the best vaccine rollouts in the world. 

I seem to remember folk on here decrying any attempt to compare the strong UK vaccination roll-out performance compared to the rest of the world. Meanwhile there is a race to dig up as many negative covid related comparisons as possible.

It seems to be 'good' to point out where we fall behind, but 'bad' to point out where we are ahead.

This thread is mostly just janother example of the sad world of heavily polarised, over simplified, confirmation-biased & entrenched 'political' views that we now live in.

Edited by HalfAnIdiot
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, gazzared said:

Do all the other countries measure the death rate the same as the UK ?.....Deaths within 28 days of a positive test ?

It varies, we also count suspected deaths that fit the clinical profile but may not have a positive test. It’s a combination of clinical assessment and test data. Other underlying co-morbidities are also recorded. WHO issued guidelines on reporting and most places that are transparently reporting more or less follow them. There’s a lot of confounding factors associated with fatality rates, so difficult to compare, but obviously caseload plays a big role (though some places in the Middle East have high caseloads and very low fatality counts). 

Edited by Toilet Duck
Typo!
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

It varies, we also count suspected deaths that fit the clinical profile but may not have a positive test. It’s a combination of clinical assessment and test data. Other underlying co-morbidities are also recorded. WHO issued guidelines on reporting and most places that are transparently reporting more or less follow them. There’s a lot of confounding factors associated with fatality rates, so difficult to compare, but obviously caseload plays a big role (though some places in the Middle East have high caseloads and very low fatality counts). 

Thanks alot 👍

17 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

I seem to remember folk on here decrying any attempt to compare the strong UK vaccination roll-out performance compared to the rest of the world. Meanwhile there is a race to dig up as many negative vivid related comparisons as possible.

It seems to be 'good' to point out where we fall behind, but 'bad' to point out where we are ahead.

This thread is mostly just janother example of the sad world of heavily polarised, over simplified, confirmation-biased & entrenched 'political' views that we now live in.

Hard to know where to start with this.

Maybe the reason to 'dig up many negative comparisons' is because so many negative comparisons can be made??

And don't kid yourself that humans haven't always taken sides in debates and been guilty of confirmation bias...

But most importantly, not all comparisons for Covid are equal. The most critical metric is of course the # of fatalities as a proportion of the population. On any count, the UK has done disastrously and it's very easy to map poor decision-making, poor communication and lack of leadership at the government level to the outcomes.

The UK has now seen in excess of 100,000 deaths (FT)

And this is based on a meaningful period - 9 months' data.

Whilst, yes, it's been a good start and that's pleasing, the far less critical measure is vaccines administered as a) it's far, far too early to draw conclusions (the UK with a headstart partly has done 10% of the population and mostly just 1 jab) and b) it's also too early to see what effect this will have on the overall fatality rate, relative to other countries.

And the economy is the second worst in Europe too. I'd say that's also a vital measure to judge the government on.

No one can bring back those 100,000 dead and other countries around the world do not have such devastating loss of life.

That's why it's fair to place more emphasis on that in the narrative.

14 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Maybe the reason to 'dig up many negative comparisons' is because so many negative comparisons can be made??

And don't kid yourself that humans haven't always taken sides in debates and been guilty of confirmation bias...

But most importantly, not all comparisons for Covid are equal. The most critical metric is of course the # of fatalities as a proportion of the population. On any count, the UK has done disastrously and it's very easy to map poor decision-making, poor communication and lack of leadership at the government level to the outcomes.

Whilst, yes, it's been a good start and that's pleasing, the far less critical measure is vaccines administered as a) it's far, far too early to draw conclusions (the UK with a headstart partly has done 10% of the population and mostly just 1 jab) and b) it's also too early to see what effect this will have on the overall fatality rate, relative to other countries.

And the economy is the second worst in Europe too. I'd say that's also a vital measure to judge the government on.

No one can bring back those 100,000 dead and other countries around the world do not have such devastating loss of life.

Perhaps you shouldn't have as you seem to have missed the point. I don't need the patronising response thanks. I'm only too well aware of the facts.

1 hour ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

I seem to remember folk on here decrying any attempt to compare the strong UK vaccination roll-out performance compared to the rest of the world. Meanwhile there is a race to dig up as many negative vivid related comparisons as possible.

woah.

26 minutes ago, xxialac said:

For what it’s worth, I thought this was a well laid out, detailed response. It didn’t seem patronising to me 😃

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2