When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Exactly.

It’s correct and fair to point out that the UK has the highest deaths/population reported in the last 7 days.

What’s not correct is David Schneider’s assertion that the UK has “the worst death rate in the world” without any reference to the short time period. Other countries such as Belgium, Czech Republic and Italy as well as a few micro states are higher up the wall of shame than we are. 

but if our current daily death rate is the worst, then we have the worst death rate in the world don't we?

Edited by steviewevie

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

but if our current daily death rate is the worst, then we have the worst death rate in the world don't we?

According to the government it’s not the right time to make comparisons to other countries, this is said whilst they congratulate themselves on one of the best vaccine rollouts in the world. 

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

No.

Schneider didn’t say he was on about the DAILY death rate 

so...what is death rate then? It's not total deaths is it? It's the current rate of deaths? It could be per hour, or per day, or per week, or per month etc...but I think most would see it as per day wouldn't they? But, I guess he could have been clearer. In the end, we have the highest daily death rate because of government decisions last month.

Just now, steviewevie said:

so...what is death rate then? It's not total deaths is it? It's the current rate of deaths? It could be per hour, or per day, or per week, or per month etc...but I think most would see it as per day wouldn't they? But, I guess he could have been clearer. In the end, we have the highest daily death rate because of government decisions last month.

I’d say if you’re going to loudly claim we have the “highest death rate in the world” I’d suggest you’re talking about deaths since the start of the pandemic 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Exactly.

It’s correct and fair to point out that the UK has the highest deaths/population reported in the last 7 days.

What’s not correct is David Schneider’s assertion that the UK has “the worst death rate in the world” without any reference to the short time period. Other countries such as Belgium, Czech Republic and Italy as well as a few micro states are higher up the wall of shame than we are. 

In terms of overall mortality numbers per capita we don't have better stats than Czech Republic or Italy. The difference between the countries is negligible and the data is obviously imperfect. 

We do have better stats than Belgium, however.

So in terms of deaths per capita from major countries Belgium is the worst and UK, Czechia and Italy are as bad as each other with the joint second highest numbers. 

37 people died in Belgium today to the UK's 1,610 so we may in fact catch up with them or overtake them.

Edited by xxialac

31 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Less than 20 deaths per day during the three months where were largely allowed to mix households and go to the pub (household mixing was legalised on 4th July and the rule of 6 brought on 14th September)

I’m convinced this virus is seasonal 

DEE71498-2041-4CC5-AB26-0C6591B1BFA3.png

Isn't the simpler answer that household mixing was allowed during those summer months because cases were so low to start with? To then allow any degree of household mixing when cases were orders of magnitude higher has now led to the spike in deaths?

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

UK currently has highest coronavirus death rate in the world, researchers say

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-uk-records-599-more-coronavirus-deaths-and-another-37-535-cases-12191659

No doubt I will be criticised for saying this, probably with someone sarcastically saying "oh well let's celebrate only currently having the worst death rate", but the key word in this is 'currently'. Last week, next week, tomorrow maybe, another country will have the worst death rate. It's a snapshot in time which suits somebody's argument.

How many opposition members have resigned in the same period?

I found out today that the Governments 'Culture Recovery Fund' has changed it's wording from March to July. Quote:

"Applicants should apply on the basis of a gradual increased capacity over April - June (accounting for social distancing measures still being in place) culminating in full reopening without capacity constraints by July. Organisations should continue to assume that, by the end of June, they will be able to operate without capacity constraints such as social distancing, although there may be ongoing measures such as a requirement for masks or managing visitor flow. We recognise that you may not be able to attract pre-Covid levels of attendance, visitor numbers or income by this point, but you do need to demonstrate how you would be able to run a viable and sustainable operating model thereafter". 

I would presume it's subject to change but maybe of some interest to this thread and to organisers of the festival?

5 minutes ago, The Dawg said:

I found out today that the Governments 'Culture Recovery Fund' has changed it's wording from March to July. Quote:

"Applicants should apply on the basis of a gradual increased capacity over April - June (accounting for social distancing measures still being in place) culminating in full reopening without capacity constraints by July. Organisations should continue to assume that, by the end of June, they will be able to operate without capacity constraints such as social distancing, although there may be ongoing measures such as a requirement for masks or managing visitor flow. We recognise that you may not be able to attract pre-Covid levels of attendance, visitor numbers or income by this point, but you do need to demonstrate how you would be able to run a viable and sustainable operating model thereafter". 

I would presume it's subject to change but maybe of some interest to this thread and to organisers of the festival?

so tight for Glastonbury...why don't they just delay for a few months...?

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Less than 20 deaths per day during the three months where were largely allowed to mix households and go to the pub (household mixing was legalised on 4th July and the rule of 6 brought on 14th September)

I’m convinced this virus is seasonal 

DEE71498-2041-4CC5-AB26-0C6591B1BFA3.png

Its probably due to the very warm weather we had meaning people wanted to meet outside where theres far less transmission, hopefully come spring things will be able to have a similar effect 

45 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Good grief. US in for a rough ride next few weeks and months..? Isn't the UK virus, sorry I mean B117 there now?

Yeah, we got the variant over here and its spreading. A notable factor has been the covid test that LA County had been distributing to clinics and such that it had a higher chance to return a false negative. That specific test was meant to be used on patients with symptoms and not just anyone. So of course over here there were plenty of people who went to an urgent care and got tested so that they could go to a holiday party or something and got a negative. when in fact they were contagious, so here we stand. But at least vaccination sites are popping up. Dodger Stadium is up and running and theyre going to be able to distribute 12,000 jabs a day at peak capacity. Just need more of those now.