When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, tarw said:

The one thing that I take from our response to COVID is that our success story (vaccinations) has been largely down to the fact that it has been implemented by the public sector (NHS.)

The failures (track and trace and testing) have been implemented by the private sector (Serco, Lighthouse Labs)

The real failure of this government has been sticking to their ideology (and rewarding their donors) instead of pragmatism.

Absolutely spot on there mate. Unfortunately the average voter probably won’t recognise that though!

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

Absolutely spot on there mate. Unfortunately the average voter probably won’t recognise that though!

They never do, they happily ignored the fact that the Tories lied to them in last General Election. A fact that was proven a week before polling day. 

1 hour ago, incident said:

Yes, it potentially could be the difference between life and death.

The vaccines are not 100% - it's inevitable that even once fully vaccinated people will die of this, and that's likely to be the eldest / most vulnerable (ie typical care home residents) as they're the least likely to develop sufficient protection as a result of the vaccines.

Additionally, as we've seen in Norway, the most frail residents may actually be at risk from common adverse effects of the vaccine (they are very old and very sick, so something that would be no bother to a younger, healthier person could be deadly). The best way of protecting these individuals is herd immunity through vaccination (especially if it's considered too risky for them to have the vaccine themselves). I trained at a big cancer centre in the US. Flu shots were mandatory, no exceptions, the patients were just too vulnerable. Their policy was, don't want to get a flu shot?, fine, it's your choice, but you can train somewhere else. I had to get a Hep B shot too so I could handle blood in the lab. Again, I could refuse, but our biosafety committee wouldn't authorise me to use blood samples unless I did. 

My partner and a group of her colleagues (all NHS) had the Oxford vaccine last week and out of the 7 of them that had it, 5 had to have either a day or two off of work following it due to having bad side effects such as  a fever, bad headaches, sickness and bad body aches.

I’ve genuinely never seen my partner in such a way, she was suffering terribly for one day and then on and off the next. She was 100% after those two days though. 

Some colleagues the week before had the Pfizer vaccine and had no side effects at all so I’m just wondering out of interest if anyone else has experienced any negative effect of the Oxford vaccine too 🙂 

*this isn’t me saying ‘x’ vaccine is better than ‘x’ vaccine; I don’t and won’t give a damn which vaccine I eventually get, just get it in me! 

1 hour ago, incident said:

Yes, it potentially could be the difference between life and death.

The vaccines are not 100% - it's inevitable that even once fully vaccinated people will die of this, and that's likely to be the eldest / most vulnerable (ie typical care home residents) as they're the least likely to develop sufficient protection as a result of the vaccines.

They're not 100% against getting infected, but so far they have been 100% against severe disease, haven't they?

1 minute ago, rascalpete said:

Just back from my Janssen trial enrolment. I’ve been jabbed with something so who knows!! No side effects yet but if I get them I expect them to take a good few hours yet.

Exciting! Good stuff for going on the trial. Let us know how it goes, good luck!

1 minute ago, Andre91 said:

My partner and a group of her colleagues (all NHS) had the Oxford vaccine last week and out of the 7 of them that had it, 5 had to have either a day or two off of work following it due to having bad side effects such as  a fever, bad headaches, sickness and bad body aches.

I’ve genuinely never seen my partner in such a way, she was suffering terribly for one day and then on and off the next. She was 100% after those two days though. 

Some colleagues the week before had the Pfizer vaccine and had no side effects at all so I’m just wondering out of interest if anyone else has experienced any negative effect of the Oxford vaccine too 🙂 

*this isn’t me saying ‘x’ vaccine is better than ‘x’ vaccine; I don’t and won’t give a damn which vaccine I eventually get, just get it in me! 

My sister had her first Pfizer shot on Friday. No adverse effects at all. Arm a bit tender, but nothing different to your average flu shot. Some years I've been floored for the afternoon by my flu shot though (this year nothing). I think it's just variable, some reports suggest that the 2nd Pfizer shot has more side effects. Thankfully all bar a handful of anaphylactic reactions in people that were already at risk of them, there's very little coming through on the active surveillance on these vaccines so far (don't know where they publish it in the UK, but here adverse events are reported weekly by the HPRA....presumably the MHRA have a similar system and the pharmacovigilance is openly reported). Obviously we don't have the OX/AZ shot yet though!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

My sister had her first Pfizer shot on Friday. No adverse effects at all. Arm a bit tender, but nothing different to your average flu shot. Some years I've been floored for the afternoon by my flu shot though (this year nothing). I think it's just variable, some reports suggest that the 2nd Pfizer shot has more side effects. Thankfully all bar a handful of anaphylactic reactions in people that were already at risk of them, there's very little coming through on the active surveillance on these vaccines so far (don't know where they publish it in the UK, but here adverse events are reported weekly by the HPRA....presumably the MHRA have a similar system and the pharmacovigilance is openly reported). Obviously we don't have the OX/AZ shot yet though!

Thank you!

16 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

My wife is getting hers next week, but 6 of her colleagues have already had theirs in recent weeks.  They all got the Pfizer 1st shot and 3 off them were off sick immediately for 2 days.  One of them has had both shots, and didn't notice anything either time!  My wife will be getting the AZ.

8 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

They're not 100% against getting infected, but so far they have been 100% against severe disease, haven't they?

In the trials, yes, but in care homes you're looking at a situation where a much higher percentage will be immunosuppressed, and that group were largely excluded from the trials.

Wales figures are in.

On the plus side numbers of cases continue to fall (11 days in a row) and deaths seem to be starting to fall (although way too high).

On the down side vaccinations are really frustrating (10,195 or 0.33% increase compared to 13,402 or 0.43% increase reported on Friday).  Welsh government is being pretty shit on this (no figures reported on the weekend, 1.4% down on where England were yesterday and 1.8% behind Northern Ireland, still having over half the Pfizer vaccine unused and just generally saying stupid things and not recognising why people are annoyed at this) and there is a huge amount of frustration as to what the hell they are doing.  

Will be interesting to see if this is an outlier to what other UK countries report, and whether we'll see numbers escalating during the week rather (Sunday to Saturday) rather than picking up from where they were the previous week.

9 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Wales figures are in.

On the plus side numbers of cases continue to fall (11 days in a row) and deaths seem to be starting to fall (although way too high).

On the down side vaccinations are really frustrating (10,195 or 0.33% increase compared to 13,402 or 0.43% increase reported on Friday).  Welsh government is being pretty shit on this (no figures reported on the weekend, 1.4% down on where England were yesterday and 1.8% behind Northern Ireland, still having over half the Pfizer vaccine unused and just generally saying stupid things and not recognising why people are annoyed at this) and there is a huge amount of frustration as to what the hell they are doing.  

Will be interesting to see if this is an outlier to what other UK countries report, and whether we'll see numbers escalating during the week rather (Sunday to Saturday) rather than picking up from where they were the previous week.

Interesting that deaths are down. Based on hospital admissions peaking around 12th January, unfortunately uk wide death figures should be at their highest this week and next week before coming down in February.

13 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Wales figures are in.

I read an interview with Drakeford the other day where he essentially said they are going to spread out the administering of the vaccine. His reasoning was "so the vaccinators aren't sat around doing nothing". So we could be vaccinating at a higher rate but he's decided not to. How can he justify that, if just 1 person who should have had the vaccine dies because he's spaced them out, it's on him. Unreal.

EDIT: Here's the quote.

The First Minister said Wales was using all the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, which is made in the UK and can be kept in a fridge, as they get it. But he defended keeping back tens of thousands of doses of the Pfizer vaccine that had been given to Wales as he said it had to last until the beginning of February.

"We won't get another delivery of that until the end of January, probably the beginning of February," he said. "We have to use that over that six week stretch. It would be logistically very damaging to try and use all of that in the first week, and then to have all our vaccinators standing around with nothing to do for another month."

Edited by DareToDibble