When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I've not said that you've said it directly (and i'm pretty sure you know i'm not saying this) I'm merely stipulating that by constantly bringing up the governments failings when other posters say positive things it comes across as an air of you know better than us or that we are bad people for speaking up of the government whilst not acknowledging the bad at the exact same time.

I'm not missing any point my friend, if I am i'm more than happy to be corrected by others.

Actually I was talking about the government’s failings earlier on in response to a post that was also criticising them. So when you say it’s when ‘other posters say positive things’ that not true. Trust me I don’t know better than anyone here, my posts have just been pointing out a trend I’ve seen online in general. You are accusing me of calling people thick, looking down on people and thinking I know better; which is unfair as I’ve said none of those things you just have the perception that I have.

You aren’t missing the point but you are missing where I am too praising the vaccine rollout, sharing stats that praises this and happily talking up the programme. I’m just doing both praising and remembering the failings. Although I’m sure you’ll just ignore that 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, mcshed said:

So after calling out some people for selective poll posting it is now normal for pretty much any major poll to be posted by someone. I think this is however the first time a poll of Welsh voting intention has been posted ever. I think we may now be leaning into a position where bad polling for Labour is more likely to be posted along with some snark about bias.

This is supposedly a thread about Coronavirus so whilst a poll showing Labour doing badly in Wales is relavent in that Welsh Labour's Coronavirus response has been pretty dismal it really doesn't need to come with selective posting as the isn't happening and even if it were it isn't the end of the world as this isn't supposed to be an exhaustive record of the polls.

I think my point was obvious. Certain people will post polls but literally only when Labour are doing well in them. You either have to post them all (if you want a clear picture) or none at all imo. I can guarantee next Westminster poll which has Labour leading will be posted here but the next one which shows a Tory lead will be ignored. 

9 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Matt Hancock is now isolating till Sunday, terrible shame that we might not hear from him in that time period 

He’s just been on Sky News, live from his weird little room with no door!

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Actually I was talking about the government’s failings earlier on in response to a post that was also criticising them. So when you say it’s when ‘other posters say positive things’ that not true. Trust me I don’t know better than anyone here, my posts have just been pointing out a trend I’ve seen online in general. You are accusing me of calling people thick, looking down on people and thinking I know better; which is unfair as I’ve said none of those things you just have the perception that I have.

You aren’t missing the point but you are missing where I am too praising the vaccine rollout, sharing stats that praises this and happily talking up the programme. I’m just doing both praising and remembering the failings. Although I’m sure you’ll just ignore that 🤷‍♂️

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

The final point I would make however is that given the "likes" (if you can call them that) which my recent posts on this matter have received I feel safe in the knowledge that the points I have been trying to make are valid.

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

The final point I would make however is that given the "likes" (if you can call them that) which my recent posts on this matter have received I feel safe in the knowledge that the points I have been trying to make are valid.

Good for you. I feel safe in the knowledge that I’ve never actually called anyone thick or think I know better. I note you have also ignored my last points as it clashes with the point you are trying to make. 

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Germany is surprisingly low here

Genuine question- Why is it so much higher in the UK than other countries? is it because there's been a lack of right-wing press opposition to vaccination? Is it cultural? Are they historically vaccine disasters in other countries? Greater trust in the NHS? What's going on in France, Japan and Germany for there to be such caution/hostility?

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Germany is surprisingly low here

Are France not going to have Covid problems long term if well under half of their population want to get the vax. I am also surprised about Germany who I always view as dead sensible, pragmatic people. Japan also shocks me.

Fairly certain I read uptake was well over 90% in the oldies in the UK too which is even more vital.

6 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Genuine question- Why is it so much higher in the UK than other countries? is it because there's been a lack of right-wing press opposition to vaccination? Is it cultural? Are they historically vaccine disasters in other countries? Greater trust in the NHS? What's going on in France, Japan and Germany for there to be such caution/hostility?

A mix of a lot of things I'd imagine, not to dismiss the success but we also approved and started vaccinating earlier too. Trust in the NHS is a key reason as well as many people wanting to protect themselves and others as we've seen the devastation the virus can cause 

11 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

The rates will go up as more people are vaccinated. A lot of people are simply waiting to see its safe. The UK figures have jumped in recent months in terms of trust of the vaccine.

25 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I think my point was obvious. Certain people will post polls but literally only when Labour are doing well in them. You either have to post them all (if you want a clear picture) or none at all imo. I can guarantee next Westminster poll which has Labour leading will be posted here but the next one which shows a Tory lead will be ignored. 

But the point you have made has been made repeatedly in this thread over the last 6 months, in fact it is made every time a poll that isn't favourable to Labour comes out, it gets posted on here with a claim that it wouldn't have been posted by some other posters. It will happen with the next one as well.

The best way of establishing the actual public mood is to look at all polls, taking particular care to look at the changes happening from the previous polling by the same pollster so that any movements you are seeing aren't down to methodology. If lots of the pollsters are showing movement in the same direction then that is pretty good evidence of a genuine change in public mood. The parties themselves employ researchers to spend a huge amount of time going over the polls, looking at the sub-samples and working out what can and just as importantly what can't be learned from them. They also have somebody post the results on social media if they look good and not if they don't. None of this is shocking, so whilst I would support and probably contribute to a thread that involved detailed polling analysis this would not be what most people want in this very general thread, so I have zero problem with Labour supporters talking up Labour leads, I also have no problem with Tory supporters talking up Tory leads but unsurprisingly there are less of them on a Glastonbury forum.

10 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yeah, I’d say it’s a mixture as@Chapple12345 said, but I think another key element may be that us Brits seem to be struggling a lot more with lockdowns (actually complying with the rules, and the associated mental health issues this all brings) compared to many counties across Europe - certainly backed up by a couple of friends I have living in Spain and Germany. 
So if the vaccine is seen as the only real way out of this nightmare, then maybe we are willing to do whatever it takes to get things back to ‘normal’ as soon as possible.

25 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

we don't mind what we put in our bodies.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

This is worrying: should it be made mandatory to have a vaccine to work in a care home?

Don't know if this is too simplistic and subject to the caveat of the 10-day window for immunity to come into effect, but will it overly matter provided all of the care home residents have been vaccinated and should theoretically then be protected?

1 minute ago, hodgey123 said:

Don't know if this is too simplistic and subject to the caveat of the 10-day window for immunity to come into effect, but will it overly matter provided all of the care home residents have been vaccinated and should theoretically then be protected?

Some care workers are agency and move from care home to care home though. 

2 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

It’s a tough one, isn’t it? Struggling with not being able to see family but making the most of wfh before that all changes - and it clearly will once these Tories decide to ‘open the economy’ fully. There will be the same mistakes as last year in that area.

I think at the moment the issue for me is that we are going to be having restrictions well into April or beginning of May given the case rate was so high. People say it's 'only' a few more months but a month (let alone another 3?) is a long time to be in lockdown (we've only been in this one for 2 weeks and it feels much longer already as I said initially). 

Just now, zahidf said:

Some care workers are agency and move from care home to care home though. 

I wouldn't be opposed to mandatory vaccines for the workers, but not sure how them moving between care homes makes a difference when the theory is that all care home residents will be vaccinated within the next few weeks?

Just now, hodgey123 said:

I wouldn't be opposed to mandatory vaccines for the workers, but not sure how them moving between care homes makes a difference when the theory is that all care home residents will be vaccinated within the next few weeks?

Not just care homes i guess, also in the community care stuff, and vacciantion rates would be variable

Just now, hodgey123 said:

Yes, it potentially could be the difference between life and death.

The vaccines are not 100% - it's inevitable that even once fully vaccinated people will die of this, and that's likely to be the eldest / most vulnerable (ie typical care home residents) as they're the least likely to develop sufficient protection as a result of the vaccines.

• Like 1