When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 hours ago, steviewevie said:

kind of used to it...new normal. I'll be scared to go outside when it's all over.

I feel like I've been under lockdown forever, to be honest, but actually have been under tier 3 (briefly!) and then tier 4 since mid December, which for me amounts to the same thing really. We were only in tier 2 between the lockdowns for a couple of weeks and in that time we saw one set of friend outdoors and I went to the gym a bit. So life hasn't felt that different since the November lockdown really. Just one long stint of home working and virtual exercise classes, punctuated with the odd video chat. 

There is light at the end of the tunnel, though, I keep telling myself! 

It's all about the numbers. Let's see where we are in March...things may be really starting to improve. I think going forward there may be a debate about suppressing virus completely versus ending lockdown/restrictions and getting back to normal, but the latter will no doubt win out if numbers dying and in hospitals are low.

3 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

It’s a tough one, isn’t it? Struggling with not being able to see family but making the most of wfh before that all changes - and it clearly will once these Tories decide to ‘open the economy’ fully. There will be the same mistakes as last year in that area.

They’ll get away with it too mate, they always do 😞

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

They’ve decided to delay everyone’s second dose in favour of getting as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible (one dose gives you protection, the second one is just a booster to give longer term immunity) 

I knew that was the plan, I just wasn't sure of the timeframe between jabs. My friend says the staff there are concerned over the mixed messages they're receiving over the efficacy of the first dose.

52 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

But don’t worry they’ve handled the vaccination program well so we can forget all of this 

Literally no one here has said this.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

There’s been plenty of people on here telling you they’ll be restrictions in place after Easter, it shouldn’t come as a surprise to you. 

You think that in April/ may places will all be tier 3 or 4 but by June Glastonbury is going to go ahead? How is that realistic?

Also would be lovely if you could stop being such a know-it-all all the time 😇

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

can chalk up another covid positive (wife's colleague) to the unnecessary "go in to work, you cannot work from home" policy being operated in some govt-controlled establishments.

And the fuckers are blaming the public!!!

I've got a mate who works as an accountant, messing about with Excel all day and he's been forced to go into the office "to show support" for the doctors and nurses. Which enlightened organisation does he work for?

The NHS 🙄

58 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They never learn their lesson at all, how many times have we opened up too early and been right back at square one. Are they really this inept or do they know that whatever happens they’ll get away with it so will just do whatever they want.

Also the CMO is wet? Maybe the CMO is trying to do his job in the middle of a pandemic. This cabinet really are worthless. But don’t worry they’ve handled the vaccination program well so we can forget all of this 😔

Dude, you keep going back to this as if those of us who can recognise a win (vaccinations) are completely blind to the other things that the government has failed on.

Acknowledging how well the vaccination programme is going isn't mutually exclusive with giving the government a get out of jail free card.

You need to stop talking down to people it comes across as very condescending. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Dude, you keep going back to this as if those of us who can recognise a win (vaccinations) are completely blind to the other things that the government has failed on.

Acknowledging how well the vaccination programme is going isn't mutually exclusive with giving the government a get out of jail free card.

I was agreeing with the last poster in that response, so I don’t think I was being condescending. In fact I’m starting to see more and more people in general start to ignore previous failings as the vaccination program rolls on.

You can indeed credit the government for the vaccine rollout (which I have done) and still hold them to account for their actions which sadly have cost lives. 

6 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Well said. 

Ozonne is always extremely condescending unless it’s people agreeing with him all the time! 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ozanne said:

I was agreeing with the last poster in that response, so I don’t think I was being condescending. In fact I’m starting to see more and more people in general start to ignore previous failings as the vaccination program rolls on.

You can indeed credit the government for the vaccine rollout (which I have done) and still hold them to account for their actions which sadly have cost lives. 

Could it be that the people you are referring to are simply celebrating the potential way out of what has been the toughest period many of us have ever experienced in our lives?

I see no reason to look down on those who are dwelling on a positive given the amount of negatives we've been dealt over the last year or so.

It just appears that you are always using the "people are so thick if they speak good of the government's vaccine rollout without stating in the same sentence that there have been many failings" stick to beat down any bit of positivity.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

under lockdown many people can prove where they caught the virus, as some will have only had contact with others at work.

Yep, and even if they caught it on the train/bus or in the shops on their lunchtime, it’s all connected with being made to go into work. 

2 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

The Telegraph really is terrible these days. Though they’re not wrong on that headline. And the Mental Health report is extremely worrying.

A better version here

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jan/19/one-in-four-uk-young-people-have-felt-unable-to-cope-in-pandemic?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

If you look to the graphs in the Guardian article, the rates of anxiety aren't that much higher than the past few years- this has been an issue for longer than the pandemic, unfortunately.

32 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

under lockdown many people can prove where they caught the virus, as some will have only had contact with others at work.

Good point, I didn’t think of that. 

33 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Could it be that the people you are referring to are simply celebrating the potential way out of what has been the toughest period many of us have ever experienced in our lives?

I see no reason to look down on those who are dwelling on a positive given the amount of negatives we've been dealt over the last year or so.

It just appears that you are always using the "people are so thick if they speak good of the government's vaccine rollout without stating in the same sentence that there have been many failings" stick to beat down any bit of positivity.

I don’t think people are thick at all, you’re the one that’s said that and I’m not really sure that’s fair on anyone. You’ve quoted something that hasn’t been said unless I have then please can you point it out and I’ll apologise?

You are missing the fact that I’m pointing out the successes too, but also saying that I’m seeing some people starting to move past the mistakes. I’m very happy that we are vaccinating as many people as possible! Maybe you shouldn’t give people such a hard time that are doing that but also remembering the failings our government have inflicted which have meant we have the highest death count in the world per capita. 

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t think people are thick at all, you’re the one that’s said that and I’m not really sure that’s fair on anyone. You’ve quoted something that hasn’t been said unless I have then please can you point it out and I’ll apologise?

You are missing the fact that I’m pointing out the successes too, but also saying that I’m seeing some people starting to move past the mistakes. I’m very happy that we are vaccinating as many people as possible! Maybe you shouldn’t give people such a hard time that are doing that but also remembering the failings our government have inflicted which have meant we have the highest death count in the world per capita. 

I've not said that you've said it directly (and i'm pretty sure you know i'm not saying this) I'm merely stipulating that by constantly bringing up the governments failings when other posters say positive things it comes across as an air of you know better than us or that we are bad people for speaking up of the government whilst not acknowledging the bad at the exact same time.

I'm not missing any point my friend, if I am i'm more than happy to be corrected by others.

Edited by JoeyT
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

Also this terrible polling for Labour seems to have not been posted here by a certain someone... Can’t imagine why!

1DA85735-1439-4B14-BAC7-3DE4FF63211A.jpeg

So after calling out some people for selective poll posting it is now normal for pretty much any major poll to be posted by someone. I think this is however the first time a poll of Welsh voting intention has been posted ever. I think we may now be leaning into a position where bad polling for Labour is more likely to be posted along with some snark about bias.

This is supposedly a thread about Coronavirus so whilst a poll showing Labour doing badly in Wales is relavent in that Welsh Labour's Coronavirus response has been pretty dismal it really doesn't need to come with selective posting as the isn't happening and even if it were it isn't the end of the world as this isn't supposed to be an exhaustive record of the polls.