When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

sure....and I appreciate that...without all the investment we just simply wouldn't have had the vaccines as quickly as we did...but surely there comes a point where we have enough to cover our population and vaccines should be directed to poorer parts of the world. Global Britain and all that.

Im sure once weve vaccinated enough to open up safely we will sell on any extra doses we have to other countries

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

sure....and I appreciate that...without all the investment we just simply wouldn't have had the vaccines as quickly as we did...but surely there comes a point where we have enough to cover our population and vaccines should be directed to poorer parts of the world. Global Britain and all that.

Not sure what the UK will do with their spare doses, but this is exactly what will happen to the spare doses the EU has ordered (neighbouring countries outside the EU first then elsewhere if they aren't getting doses via CEPI/COVAX). There's no point in hanging on to them, they don't have that long a shelf life. 

So in the first 7 days of reporting daily figures it seems the total is going to be around 1.8 million first doses. Very good going. Hopefully by tomorrow start to see those numbers jump up again to the 2.5/3 million a week territory.

Also clear there is going to be a weekend dip which will be reported on Sunday & Monday at least for the time being.

53 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Saw a tweet over the weekend (can't find it now) saying how it is absolutely mental how in the UK everyone used to be expected to go to work with a nasty cold or cough, and then it would be become a rolling joke/'office banter' (sure you all know the type) and perfectly normal how the person had then passed it on and infected their colleagues. So true and hopefully a massive thing of the past now!

46 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Yep its ridiculous, we get 2 sick days a year before there's an informal meeting. But everytime someone has a cold or flu they pass it around the staff, so everyone is sick but no one is staying home, so about a week in everyone has a fucking cold and it is miserable to be at work (even more so)

44 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

If someone had the flu I have no idea how they could even make it to work. Proper flu= bed bound.

I think with working from home becoming normalised for office workers you’ll see most of them just take a WFH day when they have a cold but I think you people are mistaken that non-WFH eligible people* such as those in construction or manufacturing will stop going to work if they have a cold. Catching a cold is very normalised, it’s a bit gross and you might feel a bit shit, but it doesn’t stop you going about your day to day business. I can’t see many businesses telling you not to come in in case you infect the entire floor, because what’s the downside of that really? Some people get a sniffle for a few days? Unless we are now thinking common cold bugs have a wide range of possible outcomes like covid does and therefore we should try to contain their spread lest they infect a more vulnerable person?

* - Technically I think nearly everyone should be able to WFH at least some of the time. I was an assistant manager in a supermarket when I was in uni, and I probably spent 70% of my time on the shop floor and 30% doing HR type nonsense in the back room. No reason I couldn’t be at home for the 30%. 

43 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

If someone had the flu I have no idea how they could even make it to work. Proper flu= bed bound.

I don't disagree that people often overstate a cold as "flu" but does flu always mean bed bound? Or is it like COVID and one person can get it and just have minor symptoms, but pass it on to someone else who ends up much worse?

32 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

We still have offices open now and bosses are demanding some workers go in so I don’t know if much will change. People will be quick to forget.

We do, but we have loads more offices that never even re-opened when they were told they could in the summer (we actually went to the extent of making our offices "COVID safe" but the numbers never got low enough that the company were confident in having them open).

We also have loads of companies telling employees that some home-working is going to be the new normal long term. It's a boon for them - you need less office space if everyone is only in 3 days in 5. And once you acknowledge that people can work productively from home, the whole cold/flu in the office thing becomes a thing of the past: "not feeling well - don't come in mate, but you can still get that report to me by the end of the day as planned".

I don't for a minute think that every company will go this route, but flexible, mixed working is popular, and not just with the workers, but the managers, and the execs as well. If a company offers that sort of flexibility will be a question you ask at an interview and will be part of the benefits package they try and sell you. Companies not offering this will be a red flag for many of us, as it indicates they don't trust their employees to be productive at home, which means there are likely some major issues there with productivity in general (you can punch the clock at 9 and 5 every day and still get bugger all done - I don't think slackers are only slackers at home and work in the office).

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I think with working from home becoming normalised for office workers you’ll see most of them just take a WFH day when they have a cold but I think you people are mistaken that non-WFH eligible people* such as those in construction or manufacturing will stop going to work if they have a cold. Catching a cold is very normalised, it’s a bit gross and you might feel a bit shit, but it doesn’t stop you going about your day to day business. I can’t see many businesses telling you not to come in in case you infect the entire floor, because what’s the downside of that really? Some people get a sniffle for a few days?

I think that might be where we start seeing masks being used though. Catching a cold is normalised right now for sure, but maybe it won't be if the WFH middle-classes stop getting them. 

(Also when I get a cold, being light-headed is one of the major symptoms, so I'm not sure you would want me on a construction site...)