When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

On 1/16/2021 at 3:30 PM, Spindles said:

Yeah, furlough has been the one policy that I've been impressed by.  I don't think we should be too critical of the testing either, as while there were some bumps on the road when you look at the numbers we have achieved it is the largest mass testing programme in our history, we are performing over 600k tests each day right now.

Much of this government's response has been a day late and a dollar short, but I'm not going to deny the successes.

Furlough has been great for those it has helped, but I don't think it can really be looked at in isolation. It was part of a set of measures to help protect people financially and the support for the self employed, gig economy, zero-hour contract folk was abysmal.

It's like saying their policy on shutting nightclubs was a huge success: all the nightclubs closed and this clearly saved loads of infections that would have happened in nightclubs. But you can't just look at that in isolation - because it's how they handled the closing (or not) of everything.

Furlough was a blunt implement, and it helped a lot of people, but plenty of people have fallen through the cracks while, frankly, plenty of other employers used it where they didn't really need it.

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Free broadband for those with kids who don't have any broadband during a pandemic and when kids are having to be schooled at home.

It's slightly different to I've-won-the-argument man's version.

And I've-won-the-argument man's version wasn't designed to provide broadband for those who didn't have it (although it would have done that too), but was instead designed to give better and FREE broadband to those who already had it and could afford it.

That's true, but equally if you're going to offer free broadband to people, you're better off owning the infrastructure, given it's all based on same stuff (well, two different networks - phone and cable) rather than just paying an existing provider to do it. Especially as realistically, I think Corbyn's plan would have ended up as free broadband for everyone but pay extra if you want and get fibre.

3 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Mark Drakeford is an idiot. He went on the radio and openly admitted that in Wales they’re deliberately on a go-slow with the vaccines so that they don’t run out of supply and leave the vaccinators standing around with nothing to do before the next batch comes in. This is a horrendous decision. 

This sounds awful but I do wonder if actually, if you space the vaccinations out more, you can have people come into contact with fewer other people, so it's a bit safer?

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

depends where they have to be used. I can't see me going to a masked gig.

I'd do it for a theatre gig. And there'd be little to no point doing it for a standing gig when you're actually in bodily contact with people anyway.

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

My view is that if you have anything serious enough to merit wearing a mask (post covid) then you shouldn't be out and about on public transport anyway.

It'd be nice not to have back to back colds all winter from picking them up on public transport. I'm hoping even if masks are not a thing, that this whole thing will make people more cogent of hygiene and how stuff spreads. I think we all know a lot more now about how you pick something up. No-one likes having a cold. We've now been given tools that will mostly avoid us getting a cold. I can see people choose to start using these.

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

155k jabs done yesterday in England. Sundays will be the low day it seems! Though the extra Scotland/Wales figures may increase the UK figures to a decent figure overall

Scotland is up to just shy of 265k now so about 40k extra from the days missed.

Edited by fraybentos1

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

155k jabs done yesterday in England. Sundays will be the low day it seems! Though the extra Scotland/Wales figures may increase the UK figures to a decent figure overall

our mass vaccination centre .... 1 of 8 opening today .... they said they will be open from 8 - 8 7 days per week .... so these will give a decent bump to the figures ... as they drop down the categories they will also be able to pick up the rate I would say ... people are more mobile so can be done in large numbers 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

our mass vaccination centre .... 1 of 8 opening today .... they said they will be open from 8 - 8 7 days per week .... so these will give a decent bump to the figures ... as they drop down the categories they will also be able to pick up the rate I would say ... people are more mobile so can be done in large numbers 

ok cool. Im guessing it will be the GPs who are closed on Sundays which will leave some reductions for a Sunday

Targets for Scotland:

• By start of February: All priority groups one and two - that's residents in a care home for older adults and their carers; all those over 80 years of age; and frontline health and social care workers.
  • By middle of February: Priority groups three and four - that's people aged over 75 and then those aged over 70.
  • By beginning of March: Priority group five - that's people aged over 65.
  • By early May- priority groups six to nine - that's people aged over 50.

Fauci said yesterday that the US was weeks away from approving both the AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines.

Which implies that the J&J mass trial data is good. (And presumably also that AZ has done a reasonable job of getting the required data to the FDA.)

22 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

This sounds awful but I do wonder if actually, if you space the vaccinations out more, you can have people come into contact with fewer other people, so it's a bit safer?

I'd do it for a theatre gig. And there'd be little to no point doing it for a standing gig when you're actually in bodily contact with people anyway.

It'd be nice not to have back to back colds all winter from picking them up on public transport. I'm hoping even if masks are not a thing, that this whole thing will make people more cogent of hygiene and how stuff spreads. I think we all know a lot more now about how you pick something up. No-one likes having a cold. We've now been given tools that will mostly avoid us getting a cold. I can see people choose to start using these.

Plus wearing a mask is such a small but valuable part in the grand scheme of things that there’s really no major downside in not wearing them if you are ill. I don’t really see any major reason to stop mask usage in that area. 

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Fauci said yesterday that the US was weeks away from approving both the AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines.

Which implies that the J&J mass trial data is good. (And presumably also that AZ has done a reasonable job of getting the required data to the FDA.)

The J&J one is a one shot one too is it not? Be interesting to see how that gets implemented here..

8 minutes ago, zahidf said:

J&J seems like it could be the real game changer here. If that becomes available say by start of March and we have a decent amount on order (any idea on that?), could mean the under 50s end up with the one dose shot and we get rattled through even quicker?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

The J&J one is a one shot one too is it not? Be interesting to see how that gets implemented here..

They're trialling it in both 1 shot and 2 shot regiments.

It's likely to be initially approved as a 1 shot version, because that data is likely to come in the next 2 weeks, but when the data comes back from the 2 shot trial around Easter then it could easily change the recommendation.

I don’t think Fauci is necessarily privy to any data that’s not in the public domain regarding J&J (not even J&J themselves will be until they unblind) but I guess they’re pretty confident given the immune response generated in the earlier phases and the fact that the technology is very similar (identical?) to the Oxford/AZ effort. Am I right @Toilet Duck?

Saw a tweet over the weekend (can't find it now) saying how it is absolutely mental how in the UK everyone used to be expected to go to work with a nasty cold or cough, and then it would be become a rolling joke/'office banter' (sure you all know the type) and perfectly normal how the person had then passed it on and infected their colleagues. So true and hopefully a massive thing of the past now!

On 1/15/2021 at 2:15 PM, northernringo said:

Smaller drop but still moving in the right direction. 1,052 new cases so the 7-day rate is down from 412.9 to 403.4.

ICU and Death numbers still scarily high. ICU beds and general hospital beds occupied by covid patients hit a new peak (which includes wave 1) every day

Haven't been on since Friday but the drop in the rate per 100k in NI continues to fall thankfully.

Down to 353.2/100k now which is the lowest since Dec 29th.

This is however similar to our peak level in the October spike, so still need it to come down a long way from here.

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

There's rumours is may be one shot for younger recipients but that over 55s might need the booster (though their pre-clinical data suggests that one dose completely protects from infection in the lung and almost completely in the nose...will have to see how their phase 3 looks when they unblind shortly!). Having another one to add to the mix this early in the year would be another massive step forward (and yet another genetic vaccine, really impressed with how they have worked out so far!). 

18 minutes ago, zahidf said:

How many J&J vaccines did we order (if any)?