When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Pinch of salt required i'd say.

You could arguably come up with a running calculator according to the headline "140 people a minute being vaccinated" however that doesn't include any minor issues etc.

Just stick with the daily official figures is probably the answer.

Fair enough - official numbers are still very impressive though, and hopefully only going to get better.

Feels far more uplifting tracking the vaccine numbers as opposed to the other numbers which have been hard to watch recently.  Really gives you a feeling we are moving in the right direction and will get out of this soon.

2 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I don't get this big triumphalism over '140 jabs per minute' .....even jabbing 24 hours/day would only give 201,600/day and we're already way over that.

Did Priti Patel do the math? 

It’s the only thing they’ve done well in so are shouting as loudly as possible over it.

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It’s the only thing they’ve done well in so are shouting as loudly as possible over it.

It’s almost like someone punching through your front door window, grabbing the keys to unlock the door, coming in, trashing your house, stealing your tele and taking a dump on your bed, to then say it’s alright because they locked the door again on the way out. And took their shoes off. 

Vaccinations minister this morning

• Gradual easing of lockdown restrictions will not begin before early March. “If we take the mid-February target, two weeks after that you get your protection, pretty much, for the Pfizer/BioNTech, three weeks for the Oxford/AstraZeneca, you are protected, he told BBC Breakfast. “One of the things we don’t know yet... is the impact of the vaccine on transmission rates ie on infecting people.So there are a number of caveats that stand in the way of us reopening the economy. It will be gradually, it will be probably through the tiered system but you’re looking at that sort of period, two to three weeks after the middle of February, after we’ve protected the top four cohorts.”

20 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I don't get this big triumphalism over '140 jabs per minute' .....even jabbing 24 hours/day would only give 201,600/day and we're already way over that.

Did Priti Patel do the math? 

It's the usual danger of numbers being taken out of context. The guy was talking specifically about NHS England, and so likely doesn't include some of the routes to vaccination and certainly doesn't include Scotland or NI.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

aren't pfizer vaccinations stalling for a week whilst they alter their manufacturing to increase capacity?

yup, and deliveries to the UK stall as part of that.

I think it's more-than covered for that week (this week?) by an increase in supplies of the AZ vaccine, so there shouldn't be a reduction in vaccination rates.

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Vaccinations minister this morning

• Gradual easing of lockdown restrictions will not begin before early March. “If we take the mid-February target, two weeks after that you get your protection, pretty much, for the Pfizer/BioNTech, three weeks for the Oxford/AstraZeneca, you are protected, he told BBC Breakfast. “One of the things we don’t know yet... is the impact of the vaccine on transmission rates ie on infecting people.So there are a number of caveats that stand in the way of us reopening the economy. It will be gradually, it will be probably through the tiered system but you’re looking at that sort of period, two to three weeks after the middle of February, after we’ve protected the top four cohorts.”

Reckon we’ll be down to about 10,000 cases a day by then (Cases roughly halving every 3 weeks). Possibly even less given the impact of Jags. 

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yup, and deliveries to the UK stall as part of that.

I think it's more-than covered for that week (this week?) by an increase in supplies of the AZ vaccine, so there shouldn't be a reduction in vaccination rates.

not for us, but across europe. Anyway, hopefully they will start to increase vaccinations across europe over the coming weeks and months....they will have the AZ vaccine soon too...and I read that support for vaccines is rising in France.

Mark Drakeford is an idiot. He went on the radio and openly admitted that in Wales they’re deliberately on a go-slow with the vaccines so that they don’t run out of supply and leave the vaccinators standing around with nothing to do before the next batch comes in. This is a horrendous decision. 

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

When does everyone foresee us being back to all of the freedoms we enjoyed prior to covid?

How low does everything have to go to achieve this?

If you're talking about there being no interventions such as masks, social distancing, screens in supermarkets etc then I don't see that happening before Spring 2022.

My assumption here is that there is a high chance of a "3rd wave" in winter 21 similar to how the 1918 flu pandemic went. However that wave was much less severe so I'm hoping if it appears we won't be back in lockdown but maybe a tiered system next winter.

Having international travel "back to normal" might even take until 2023 given some of the worldwide projections on vaccination rates.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I definitely saw something where the UK got no deliveries of the Pfizer vaccine for somewhen in the next few weeks (might be this week), and which coincided with the pause for EU deliveries.

yes, sorry...I agree that we're not getting pfizer vaccines for a week too...and also agree that we have enough AZ ones anyway....but I was just saying that at moment the pfizer vaccine is all europe has got (I think).

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yes, sorry...I agree that we're not getting pfizer vaccines for a week too...and also agree that we have enough AZ ones anyway....but I was just saying that at moment the pfizer vaccine is all europe has got (I think).

They've got Moderna as well.

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

If you're talking about there being no interventions such as masks, social distancing, screens in supermarkets etc then I don't see that happening before Spring 2022.

stuff like screens in supermarkets is a no-brainer to continue for a while. It's no trouble to anyone.

Masks and social distancing is very different, and while it might continue same as now there's a cost both personally and to the economy. So there's good reasons for the govt (and particularly this govt) to try and remove them sooner if possible.

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

My assumption here is that there is a high chance of a "3rd wave" in winter 21 similar to how the 1918 flu pandemic went. However that wave was much less severe so I'm hoping if it appears we won't be back in lockdown but maybe a tiered system next winter.

Having international travel "back to normal" might even take until 2023 given some of the worldwide projections on vaccination rates.

Whitty talked about restrictions being "reintroduced" for next winter, so it seems safe to assume he thinks restrictions will end before then. And that's probably not him guessing.

Restrictions for next winter seem likely as a safeguard, but hopefully the vaccine will lessen worries about any high impact from a possible 3rd wave next winter.

You're quite possibly right about restrictions for international travel, although there's no huge impact onto festivals because of that (unless the rules change again) as musicians are on the exemption list for the worst of those.

8 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Mark Drakeford is an idiot. He went on the radio and openly admitted that in Wales they’re deliberately on a go-slow with the vaccines so that they don’t run out of supply and leave the vaccinators standing around with nothing to do before the next batch comes in. This is a horrendous decision. 

Yeah, that’s up there with the most stupid thing I’ve heard any politician say during this whole pandemic - and there is some very stiff competition for that title. 
Absolute madness and nonsense decision, which will mean needless lives will be lost due to political decisions.