When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

If the Sunday papers are to be believed, the government are pivoting towards the Australia/NZ style pandemic plan. Not a fully pledged zero covid strategy so much, but they’re going to bring in hotel quarantines or tech solutions whereby arrivals need to prove they’re self isolating, all the while massively ramping up vaccine rollout. Telegraph reporting optimism that ALL adults could be jagged by June. 

5EB71C21-EBBB-4887-854B-0EF2B66292AA.png

Still feel that all adults being vaccinated by June seems overly optimistic - guess we will find out.

Does sound like the government are going to pivot towards a more aggressive elimination strategy though, which will be better for everyone domestically. 

28 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

All over 18’s could be jabbed by the end of June you say?

Eavis’s over to you...

there's that big could word. Plus, this is first dose, right?

Glastonbury's prospects of going ahead in some form must have increased with the early success of vaccine rollout and it's potential on how many will be vaccinated by spring/summer, but I still think more likely not on than on....just a bit too early in the year, and just too much incertainty.

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Glastonbury's prospects of going ahead in some form must have increased with the early success of vaccine rollout and it's potential on how many will be vaccinated by spring/summer, but I still think more likely not on than on....just a bit too early in the year, and just too much incertainty.

me, I wouldn't be too surprised if someone from govt is having a whisper in the Eavii's ears.

I appreciate that these "vaccinated by June" stories are just newspaper reports but I can't help but think that this is just smoke and mirrors to divert our attention from the fact that over 15,000 people have died in the UK in 2021 alone. 15,000. And we're only 16 days in. Not to mention the perilous situation our NHS finds itself in. We all want the vaccine desperately, of course, but there's something I find quite insidious about the apparent attempts to get the public to focus on, I would argue, less important matters.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Saying what? That it's on or that it's off?

that the chances of it happening look good as far as the govt is concerned, to encourage Glastonbury to push on with planning.

When we do open up as about-normal the govt are going to be very keen for the world to see that we have done, and the best way of getting the world's attention will be with major events - such as Wimbledon, footie (Euros) ... and Glastonbury.

7 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I appreciate that these "vaccinated by June" stories are just newspaper reports but I can't help but think that this is just smoke and mirrors to divert our attention from the fact that over 15,000 people have died in the UK in 2021 alone. 15,000. And we're only 16 days in. Not to mention the perilous situation our NHS finds itself in. We all want the vaccine desperately, of course, but there's something I find quite insidious about the apparent attempts to get the public to focus on, I would argue, less important matters.

It’s the dead cat theory again isn’t it, as seen so often through the pandemic. The thing is, sadly, it’s working though. 

51 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The sheer amount of people on site working on the build from April onwards is the reason I'm not expecting 2021 to go ahead, regardless of how far along the vaccination process is by then. Having every adult vaccinated by the end of June will be too late for something the size of Glastonbury. Throw in the uncertainty around international acts and the fact that Emily said 'we haven't cancelled yet' and that's the writing on the wall for me.

8 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Its not really a big conspiracy.  The Govt are doing one thing very well at the moment and so are emphasising the good thing they are doing.  Obviously the deaths are horrible but I think its fine to concentrate on the hopeful stuff rather than the horrible stuff.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

It’s the dead cat theory again isn’t it, as seen so often through the pandemic. The thing is, sadly, it’s working though. 

the tories are masters of the dead cat, but I'm not so sure people expressing their best hopes for the vaccine roll-out is that.  We're all looking for the end-point, and are all hoping it comes around as soon as possible.

Are these stories even coming directly from the government though? We’re they not annoyed when Scotland published the data showing 3.8m a week because it could undermine stocks? Or was that just a double bluff? Pretend to be annoyed, withdraw the information and then leak information with even more impressive figures? I don’t really get it.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Its not really a big conspiracy.  The Govt are doing one thing very well at the moment and so are emphasising the good thing they are doing.  Obviously the deaths are horrible but I think its fine to concentrate on the hopeful stuff rather than the horrible stuff.

Credit where it's due, the initial vaccine rollout appears to have got off to a positive start and I absolutely agree that it's important for us to focus on an end point. You clearly have a grasp on political gamesmanship but unfortunately there are millions of people out there who are blissfully unaware of the government and the media's ability to manipulate them into focussing on more, quote, "positive" matters. 

Personally I believe those same tactics will be used to portray the current government in a better light at the end of all this. Little mention of the horrific number of deaths and the damage caused and all the focus on how quickly their UK-made vaccine rescued us.

And I fear, amongst the euphoria of a semblance of normality returning, the facts will be conveniently swept under the carpet and Boris and Co will be lauded as heroes. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the tories are masters of the dead cat, but I'm not so sure people expressing their best hopes for the vaccine roll-out is that.  We're all looking for the end-point, and are all hoping it comes around as soon as possible.

Oh yeah for sure, we are all hoping this works and so far it is (touch wood). Maybe it’s just a Sunday newspaper thing but as a country we don’t seem to be focussing much on the loss of life. 

List of prominent UK members of now shut-down Parler app:

Michael Gove, James Cleverly, Steve Baker, Ben Bradley, Katie Hopkins, Nadine Dorries, Darren Grimes. 

Coincidence how there's near perfect overlap between the biggest fascist twats and those who feel so strongly about free speech.

16 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Personally I believe those same tactics will be used to portray the current government in a better light at the end of all this. Little mention of the horrific number of deaths and the damage caused and all the focus on how quickly their UK-made vaccine rescued us.

And I fear, amongst the euphoria of a semblance of normality returning, the facts will be conveniently swept under the carpet and Boris and Co will be lauded as heroes. 

that's certainly how they'll try to play it. Any party would do.

But when so many people will have been affected by covid, tho, it's not necessarily going to work for them. Most people will know or know of one or more people who've died, and are likely to know one or more who've had it even if they've not had it themselves.

The more personal it is to people the harder it'll be for the govt to shake off responsibility for their mistakes.