When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, stephos83 said:

Today's numbers:

41,346 cases

1,295 dead

329k vaccinated (1st and 2nd dose)

37.5k in hospital

Isn’t it awful when they publish the death rate and it has stopped really shocking or surprising you?  Horrible that we have come to expect 1k+ deaths every day recently. Over a thousand families in our land mourning the premature death of a loved one every single day. We have to all follow the safety protocols, one persons selfishness can lead to death for others. To put it in perspective, 10k folk live in my town,  it’s like the entire town population getting wiped out in less than ten days. 

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I haven't got a ticket for Glastonbury anyway...but if any other festivals are on this summer like Bluedot or Greenman I think I will try and get tickets for those...big if I know....

I have tickets for both Bearded and Bluedot as I didn't get Glastonbury tickets either... but I'm not confident about attending a festival this year and the fella definitely doesn't want too.. 😞

12 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Isn’t it awful when they publish the death rate and it has stopped really shocking or surprising you?  Horrible that we have come to expect 1k+ deaths every day recently. Over a thousand families in our land mourning the premature death of a loved one every single day. We have to all follow the safety protocols, one persons selfishness can lead to death for others. To put it in perspective, 10k folk live in my town,  it’s like the entire town population getting wiped out in less than ten days. 

Yes! I thought the same thing when it was around 300 deaths every day. It’s horrifying yet is a passing note now in the news. 

16 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I have tickets for both Bearded and Bluedot as I didn't get Glastonbury tickets either... but I'm not confident about attending a festival this year and the fella definitely doesn't want too.. 😞

We have bearded, Glastonbury, blue dot and Shambala. We think Bluedot is on the edge of happening/ not happening. If we meet our vaccine targets then bluedot will be on, Glastonbury is just a few weeks too soon. 

The apparent successes we are seeing so far, and the more successful handling of the initial outbreaks in the far east points to the value of experience.

As a nation were well versed and have more infrastructure elements in place for  large scale vaccination (granted not at this scale) and other nations were more prepared / experienced than us thanks to things like SARS. 

18 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Manchester looking like things might be getting under control:

Might not be a day on day decrease in every borough yet, but 50% showing a week on week decrease with the rest heading that way is ok by me.

0_JSR_MEN_160121covid_02JPG.jpg

As a St. Helenser living across the border in Wigan the green arrow cheers me greatly. 

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

AFEF0DDE-90DC-41C8-B684-EBF53F2AB0DF.png

This doesn't actually help anyone, voters don't need or want to feel guilty for something they did 12 months ago. If we are to see meaningful change, we need to open up a dialog as to how things would be better under a different government, not by criticising the current "albeit they are shite at their jobs" incumbent gov, but by pointing to some alternative positive policies constructed by Labour, Lib Dems or the Greens.

4 hours ago, duke88 said:

I was rotating between ticking people off as they arrived on an iPad, and showing them to one of the five rooms doing the vaccinations. Also had to go and bring things like the timers people are given while they wait 15 minutes back to the rooms. Other people were taking temperatures as people arrived, supervising and cleaning the post-vaccination room and marshalling the car park.

The shifts were 8am to 2pm, and 2pm to 8pm, and we did about 550 people at the practice yesterday. It’s worth following the local medical centres on Facebook, as that’s where I saw about it. I have applied through the NHS volunteers thing as well, but, like you, haven’t heard about any roles yet.

It’s a really fulfilling thing to do, wonderful seeing everyone getting the jabs, there was a great atmosphere there. And, as a bonus, I managed to get my parents jabbed a bit earlier. At the end of the day they counted up how many doses they had left, so asked us if we knew anyone aged 60+, vulnerable or worked in healthcare and could get there soon. They want to make sure nothing gets wasted, so it’s better to get someone in than throw some away. Literally used every last dose they had. Can stop worrying so much about my mum working on her till so much now!

Ah that's great. As I say I've got a virtual interview scheduled so will see what comes of that, but thanks for the info! I'm not on Facebook so will wait and see for now.

Sadly we don't know anyone local who fits the criteria, but great to know they are doing that. Thanks for all the info and well done you!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

As if I thought 2020/2021 couldn’t get any weirder I’ve just witness Glenn Hoddle dressed as a giant clock get eliminated from a singing competition but not before defeating actual singers including Sophie Ellis-Bextor and Mel-B 😂😂😂

I'm so glad someone else watches it, it's such a bonkers show and I love it 😂 fully believe Lenny Henry is Blob too

If the Sunday papers are to be believed, the government are pivoting towards the Australia/NZ style pandemic plan. Not a fully pledged zero covid strategy so much, but they’re going to bring in hotel quarantines or tech solutions whereby arrivals need to prove they’re self isolating, all the while massively ramping up vaccine rollout. Telegraph reporting optimism that ALL adults could be jagged by June. 

5EB71C21-EBBB-4887-854B-0EF2B66292AA.png

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

If the Sunday papers are to be believed, the government are pivoting towards the Australia/NZ style pandemic plan. Not a fully pledged zero covid strategy so much, but they’re going to bring in hotel quarantines or tech solutions whereby arrivals need to prove they’re self isolating, all the while massively ramping up vaccine rollout. Telegraph reporting optimism that ALL adults could be jagged by June. 

5EB71C21-EBBB-4887-854B-0EF2B66292AA.png

And lockdown easing in March