When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

WOuld assume around 50k for the other nations- so about 320k overall which is amazing. Considering the snowfall in places too!

Genuinely quite gobsmacking - given we still have a lot of ability to ramp up a lot higher - 40 more mass vaccination centres, many more pharmacies and GP centres still to come online also.

Very impressive.

Edited by Mellotr0n

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

WOuld assume around 50k for the other nations- so about 320k overall which is amazing. Considering the snowfall in places too!

Are we expecting a slight lull over the weekend or will we continue this growth?

500k by the end of next week?!

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

350516B7-3A2E-4E53-84AC-5916790D12E2.png

SAGE estimates of R are becoming about as useful as a chocolate teapot in this ever changing situation. They estimate it based on case numbers which were known about days ago, and they themselves lag the actual infections by 7-10 days at least.

Following the 7DRA case numbers in all 4 UK nations this week, as well as looking at ZOE data, gives me moderate-to-high confidence that the R number is below 1. Not far below it though. 

1 minute ago, Mellotr0n said:

Genuinely quite gobsmacking - given we still have a lot of ability to still ramp up further - 40 more mass vaccination centres, many more pharmacies and GP centres still to come online also.

Very impressive.

Yeah, the half million a day might actually be feasible. Plus I know Scotland is still to ramp up as we have mainly focussed on care homes thus far. Several mass centres to open up here too!

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

Not complaining at all - but it’s a shame a working single dose vaccine hasn’t been found yet (but we’ll let you off Science people!!). Otherwise at this rate we genuinely could have vaccinated everybody by the Spring!  

Johnson & Johnson may have something to say about this within the next week!

1 minute ago, st dan said:

Not complaining at all - but it’s a shame a working single dose vaccine hasn’t been found yet (but we’ll let you off Science people!!). Otherwise at this rate we genuinely could have vaccinated everybody by the Spring!  

Mate of mine works for one of the pharmas. He's in sales rather than development, but we still take the opportunity to blame his laziness for this at poker every Friday night regular as clockwork.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, northernringo said:

Another day, another drop. Restrictions certainly having an impact over here it seems, hopefully approaching the peak of hospitalisations soon too before it begins to drop.

7 day rate down from 442.4 to 412.9, the lowest since Dec 30th. Still nearly 1,000 positives today though so still way higher than pre-Christmas.

Smaller drop but still moving in the right direction. 1,052 new cases so the 7-day rate is down from 412.9 to 403.4.

ICU and Death numbers still scarily high. ICU beds and general hospital beds occupied by covid patients hit a new peak (which includes wave 1) every day

7 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Keep going like this and the mid-Feb target will be met and hopefully some of the doom-mongers who said it was impossible will perk up a bit!

Wouldn't call it doom-mongering, more that we've been watching what Johnson and his mates have been doing for the past 12 months!  If my dog shits on the carpet every time he goes instead of going into the garden, it's reasonable to expect that's what he'll do this time 😁

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Wouldn't call it doom-mongering, more that we've been watching what Johnson and his mates have been doing for the past 12 months!  If my dog shits on the carpet every time he goes instead of going into the garden, it's reasonable to expect that's what he'll do this time 😁

Some of it defo was. Repeated insistence that there was no way it would be met even though the numbers were clearly ramping up and we are generally pretty good at dishing out the flu vaccine every year. 

I do understand why people have no faith in the government of course, but there must be some pretty capable people who are in charge of these operations that aren't Matt Hancock or a Tory MP.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

I do understand why people have no faith in the government of course, but there must be some pretty capable people who are in charge of these operations that aren't Matt Hancock or a Tory MP.

Exactly why my optimism took a boost when I saw they Brigadier General Sir Bufton-Tufton-Smythe involved. Someone who might actually know what they're doing and not leave it to the Fuckle Brothers

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

That video I posted from Aaron Bastani summed it up for me quite nicely that ‘the Tories are playing politics on easy mode’. By that he means after 100k deaths and everything else they still poll around 40% due to various structural issues in our system which means they get it easy. You can see it with the vaccination program, people seemingly get angry when the program gets questioned. I’m not having a go at anyone on here it just sums up for me how they do have it easy, they can make fuck up after fuck up and still get the benefit of the doubt. 

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It does sound lovely, but I'm guessing it's not super accessible without a car? We are always a bit limited when it comes to rural destinations. I am tempted, though! 

We probably won't book a proper holiday until early autumn anyway, if at all, as avoids the summer price hike and we don't have kids.

Doesn't stop me looking and dreaming, though! There's some amazing deals out there for long haul too.

Train station is about a half hour walk but a couple of minutes to ours in a taxi. But for you my lovely I'd come and pick you up. 

Plenty of walks around without the need for a car. We get plenty of guests with no car. Can get one of the lake cruises up to Ambleside for more walks and bimbling. 

We're also adult only so don't hike prices in the kids holidays. 😉

• Upvote 1