When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Yep.

What numbers do people think in terms of vaccinations today? 350k?

At least 300k I would say. Be interesting to see if it slows down over the weekend or not.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Spot on x2.

The government's job is to protect its citizens and protect the economy.

To this point, they've done an absolutely godawful job of both and all thought a smokescreen of lies and looking after their chums.

Yeah no one is saying otherwise. Praising the vaccine rollout doesn't excuse the harm they have caused.

15 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Why is anyone working in an office rn? Also you can pack a lunch, im sure there's nearby shops and stuff if you really need to buy a lunch rather than bring your own, ,but this is what I'm talking about, people don't need to go to greggs, greggs might be the most convenient option for some, but the whole point of a pandemic response is you need limit stuff, if that means somewhere like greggs where the shops are incredibly small and create lines outside 

As soon as you start arguing for somewhere like greggs being essential the line becomes blurry enough for so many more businesses to remain open. Like WHSmith, thy have post offices in or office supplies, but so do post offices, both dont need to be open and 90 percent of WHsmith isn't essential. But yet it's there, 

That all being said, ideally these businesses and employees would get proper support throughout the pandemic so they dont have to make these decisions. 

Um except there is? It's just that the guidance on what can be classed as essential business is vague. 

Non essential retail is closed.

Takeaways are not a form of retail. 

29 minutes ago, Quark said:

No it doesn't, sorry.  I'm willing to say it and have said it to several people. I'll criticise the govt till the cows come home but I've said to them I'm absolutely pleased to see it going well. And it is.

But there is absolutely no way I'm going to praise them for doing this bit well and not keep at the front of my mind the absolute shitshower that has been (and I expect to continue to be) the hallmark of their term.

100%. Doing the bare fucking minimum required to a satisfactory degree shouldn't be seen as any kind of victory for this government.

All of a sudden germany have done 148k vaccinations in the last 24 hours which is a sudden jump from the 50-60k daily they were doing before. Be interesting to see if that is a sustained rate now or whether it will increase or decrease after today.

—-

As for us, I could see 300k today, 350k seems ambitious but I have no clue how much supply we are receiving, so I really can’t do any estimates. I don’t know if vaccinations will dip over the weekend however it’s possible deliveries and what not will get slowed down over the weekend meaning less could be administered.

—-

The deaths number also seemed a bit off yesterday. As tragic as it was, it seemed a bit too low given the current trend with the hospitals. I’m expecting a devastating number today 😞

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/the-governments-failure-over-covid-6897992

The government could have recognised and addressed this problem by now if it was alive to its own failings. It is not. Downing Street is an echo chamber. It does not listen to criticism. Indeed, Johnson purged the party of any moderate Conservatives early on in his tenure as prime minister. All criticism from outside the party is treated as evidence that someone is a political enemy.

This is why you see them making the same mistakes over and over again. The recent delay around shutting schools and imposing a new lockdown was a precise reconstruction of the delay last March over the first lockdown. But months after making the initial mistake, Johnson made it again, almost step-by-step, like a dramatic recreation. He has learned nothing, because he does not care to learn. He has insulated himself against the capacity for improvement. And the people on whose behalf he governs are forced to pay the price.

This is what government incompetence does. It costs lives. And we have the very great misfortune of living under the most incompetent government of our lifetime, right when we most needed leaders who knew what they were doing. The scale of this failure is beyond reasonable comprehension. And anyone involved in it should hang their heads in shame.

4 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

All of a sudden germany have done 148k vaccinations in the last 24 hours which is a sudden jump from the 50-60k daily they were doing before. Be interesting to see if that is a sustained rate now or whether it will increase or decrease after today.

—-

As for us, I could see 300k today, 350k seems ambitious but I have no clue how much supply we are receiving, so I really can’t do any estimates. I don’t know if vaccinations will dip over the weekend however it’s possible deliveries and what not will get slowed down over the weekend meaning less could be administered.

—-

The deaths number also seemed a bit off yesterday. As tragic as it was, it seemed a bit too low given the current trend with the hospitals. I’m expecting a devastating number today 😞

From the Times yesterday re supply :

''The figures, which have since been deleted, suggest that Scotland is due to receive 309,382 doses next week, equating to 3.8 million for the whole of the UK. By the end of February, production will have ramped up even further with Scotland receiving 443,531 doses a week, suggesting 5.4 million will be delivered to the UK.''

Just now, steviewevie said:

Yeah, but not sure we'd be able to hit the high numbers with the pfizer one....

Oh definitely, but I guess my point is that the development of the vaccine is outside of the control of govt, and they can only base their figures on what's available. They had put the target out based on an expected approval of the Oxford vaccine, so if it hadn't been approved and they had to revise downwards it wouldn't have been their fault per se.

I think this is one of those rare cases where they could have ended up damned either way.  If they hadn't planned in advance based on the Oxford one being approved then they would have been pilloried for not planning ahead. And if the Oxford one had been rejected (thankfully it wasn't) then they would have got it for being overly optimistic in their numbers.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Also I wasn't going to say anything, but I've seen it twice now so I have to: it's a moot point, lads, not a mute point.

Thanks for picking up on  that. I was determined not to be that guy but you've done it for me 😂

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

Oh definitely, but I guess my point is that the development of the vaccine is outside of the control of govt, and they can only base their figures on what's available. They had put the target out based on an expected approval of the Oxford vaccine, so if it hadn't been approved and they had to revise downwards it wouldn't have been their fault per se.

I think this is one of those rare cases where they could have ended up damned either way.  If they hadn't planned in advance based on the Oxford one being approved then they would have been pilloried for not planning ahead. And if the Oxford one had been rejected (thankfully it wasn't) then they would have got it for being overly optimistic in their numbers.

I'm not criticising their purchasing of vaccines, it was definitely a very good idea to purchase loads of different ones just in case,,,I'm just saying if Oxford one hadn't been approved we would be in a very different place now...but...it's a mute point 🙂

Just now, steviewevie said:

I'm not criticising their purchasing of vaccines, it was definitely a very good idea to purchase loads of different ones just in case,,,I'm just saying if Oxford one hadn't been approved we would be in a very different place now...but...it's a mute point 🙂

Ha!

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Obligatory plug for Dome House in the Lake District chez @fatyeti24 and @H.M.V.  It's proper lovely. As are they. And they keep a decent bar as well 🙂

It does sound lovely, but I'm guessing it's not super accessible without a car? We are always a bit limited when it comes to rural destinations. I am tempted, though! 

We probably won't book a proper holiday until early autumn anyway, if at all, as avoids the summer price hike and we don't have kids.

Doesn't stop me looking and dreaming, though! There's some amazing deals out there for long haul too.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

At this stage, as much at it sticks in my throat to say it, they're doing way better at this than I expected. My optimism did jump when I saw they'd brought in the brigadier logistics chappie instead of giving it to a mate who has his paper delivered so would normally be a perfect candidate.

Maybe they did learn something from the Dido Harding debacle. Maybe.

Was talking about this with the housemates. Have there been any reports of contracts involving the rollout of the vaccine being given to companies formed 25 minutes earlier by a former school chum of a member of the cabinet? I've not seen any. And does that explain why it seems to be going so well