When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

How did we cope before takeaways?

You can apply that to most things though.  When stuff's been around long enough that it's built into what's considered normal day to day life, the "how did we cope?" question kinda becomes a bit redundant. That's not to say that we can't survive without them, but it's another component of normality that gets removed.

EDIT: that's clearly an over-serious response to a tongue in cheek question 😁

Edited by Quark

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

World beating?

20210115_113353.jpg

At this stage, as much at it sticks in my throat to say it, they're doing way better at this than I expected. My optimism did jump when I saw they'd brought in the brigadier logistics chappie instead of giving it to a mate who has his paper delivered so would normally be a perfect candidate.

Maybe they did learn something from the Dido Harding debacle. Maybe.

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

World beating?

20210115_113353.jpg

That’s the kinda exponential growth you CAN support 

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

At this stage, as much at it sticks in my throat to say it, they're doing way better at this than I expected. My optimism did jump when I saw they'd brought in the brigadier logistics chappie instead of giving it to a mate who has his paper delivered so would normally be a perfect candidate.

Maybe they did learn something from the Dido Harding debacle. Maybe.

This sort of reverse exceptionalism has to stop. I know the government have a habit of fucking up, but this is going well. It shouldn’t “stick in your throat” to celebrate something that’s going to plan. 

As much as I like a fresh v*gan sausage roll. Greggs should not be classed as an essential business. It was at the beginning of the first lockdown. It could do deliveries or s/t if it wanted and you could argue that it's open because less people are working from home this lockdown. - Man businesses that have to argue that they are essential, probably aren't essential

1 minute ago, ace56blaa said:

As much as I like a fresh v*gan sausage roll. Greggs should not be classed as an essential business. It was at the beginning of the first lockdown. It could do deliveries or s/t if it wanted and you could argue that it's open because less people are working from home this lockdown. - Man businesses that have to argue that they are essential, probably aren't essential

Its feeding people in the offices who may not have other places to eat from though

1 minute ago, ace56blaa said:

It’s not an essential business. Absolutely no one is claiming that it is. There’s just no rule that says non-essential businesses have to close. 

2 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

- Man businesses that have to argue that they are essential, probably aren't essential

To be fair I've seen women go into Greggs and buy things too. Definitely being a bit sexist there mate.

Edited by Mellotr0n
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

That’s the kinda exponential growth you CAN support 

This sort of reverse exceptionalism has to stop. I know the government have a habit of fucking up, but this is going well. It shouldn’t “stick in your throat” to celebrate something that’s going to plan. 

No it doesn't, sorry.  I'm willing to say it and have said it to several people. I'll criticise the govt till the cows come home but I've said to them I'm absolutely pleased to see it going well. And it is.

But there is absolutely no way I'm going to praise them for doing this bit well and not keep at the front of my mind the absolute shitshower that has been (and I expect to continue to be) the hallmark of their term.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

No it doesn't, sorry.  I'm willing to say it and have said it to several people. I'll criticise the govt till the cows come home but I've said to them I'm absolutely pleased to see it going well. And it is.

But there is absolutely no way I'm going to praise them for doing this bit well and not keep at the front of my mind the absolute shitshower that has been (and I expect to continue to be) the hallmark of their term.

Exactly. We are doing really well with the vaccination programs so far and credit should be given for that. However it doesn’t excuse or gloss over the many mistakes/delays there have been under their watch which have to some degree lead to the shockingly bad death toll in this country. For those people and their families we shouldn’t forget that. 

Re holidays, at least we aren't in the States. My wife's otherwise lovely but still Trump voting aunty recently flew from California to DC for a wedding, promptly got Covid, clearly got a bit embarrassed and then made up a story about how she must have got it from her local supermarket on return.

Found out last night she's just flown to Hawaii for a holiday, on the basis that she's already had it so she's fine now.

They're really not trying over there at all are they?!

I don't think anyone is excusing this shambled of a government at all.

Just that separate to their shambolic handling of basically everything else they seem to be doing very well here. Procurement was very good and now the actual giving out of the vaccines is so promising too. All while other countries falter (except israel and a couple others).

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

yeah, they're doing ok with vaccines so far...but we still have over 100k deaths and a double dip recession...but let's see where we are by the summer. Plus, I know most are confident about this vaccine rollout...but we have had big promises before...all over omn 12 weeks, world beating test and trace, moonshot tests, over by christmas etc. And now because of government choices we have an overwhelmed health service. If it wasn't for that Oxford/AZ vaccine we would be fucked.

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Its feeding people in the offices who may not have other places to eat from though

Why is anyone working in an office rn? Also you can pack a lunch, im sure there's nearby shops and stuff if you really need to buy a lunch rather than bring your own, ,but this is what I'm talking about, people don't need to go to greggs, greggs might be the most convenient option for some, but the whole point of a pandemic response is you need limit stuff, if that means somewhere like greggs where the shops are incredibly small and create lines outside 

As soon as you start arguing for somewhere like greggs being essential the line becomes blurry enough for so many more businesses to remain open. Like WHSmith, thy have post offices in or office supplies, but so do post offices, both dont need to be open and 90 percent of WHsmith isn't essential. But yet it's there, 

That all being said, ideally these businesses and employees would get proper support throughout the pandemic so they dont have to make these decisions. 

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It’s not an essential business. Absolutely no one is claiming that it is. There’s just no rule that says non-essential businesses have to close. 

Um except there is? It's just that the guidance on what can be classed as essential business is vague. 

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, they're doing ok with vaccines so far...but we still have over 100k deaths and a double dip recession...but let's see where we are by the summer. Plus, I know most are confident about this vaccine rollout...but we have had big promises before...all over omn 12 weeks, world beating test and trace, moonshot tests, over by christmas etc. And now because of government choices we have an overwhelmed health service. If it wasn't for that Oxford/AZ vaccine we would be fucked.

Spot on.

Just now, steviewevie said:

I mean, you could say that about all the vaccines!  My point on the success is that as things currently stand and based on the vaccines available, they've implemented a vaccination process that is proving effective. Bringing in the army logistics, setting up the mass centres, all the rest of it.  When they said about the numbers they were aiming for my initial thought was "no chance, they'll fuck it up before it even starts". But as of yet they haven't, it's going well, and that is a very very good thing.

But my other point is that success here shouldn't be used to whitewash over the litany of fuckups that have led us here. And that goes for Brexit, school meals and all the rest of it. To quote from that classic and weighty period drama Pirates of the Caribbean, one good deed is not enough to redeem a man of a lifetime of wickedness.

13 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Spot on.

Spot on x2.

The government's job is to protect its citizens and protect the economy.

To this point, they've done an absolutely godawful job of both and all through a smokescreen of lies and looking after their chums.

Edited by xxialac