When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

That Rees-Mogg/Patel one was so tough but I went with Patel, too. She’s evil whereas I get the feeling Rees-Mogg plays up to the oddball persona a little. Did someone on here say he’s actually quite well liked in the Commons bar?

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

I saw a slightly perplexing report yesterday that apparently summer holidays sales are through the roof. Can't say it's even occurred to me to book anything, even in this country!

I think it’s to be expected, people are gonna be desperate for a holiday given the last year and possibly a lack of a holiday last year too. 

Yeah, my Mum's looking to book a house for us some time in the summer. As it's my 30th this year and Mum's 60th the plan was for the family to go to Italy (Mum & Dad, me and my partner, brother & sister-in-law and baby) but we felt that was no longer a likely prospect, so have turned out attention to somewhere closer to home. 

All those that were saying "just give up Christmas and wait *just a few more months*" ... well, that's what we're doing. Obviously we'll only be going in the end if it's permitted in the guidance, but we need something to look forward to. If I have to look ahead into this year with no date on the horizon as to when I might be reunited with my family, I'd honestly just not be getting out of bed.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Yeah, my Mum's looking to book a house for us some time in the summer. As it's my 30th this year and Mum's 60th the plan was for the family to go to Italy (Mum & Dad, me and my partner, brother & sister-in-law and baby) but we felt that was no longer a likely prospect, so have turned out attention to somewhere closer to home. 

All those that were saying "just give up Christmas and wait *just a few more months*" ... well, that's what we're doing. Obviously we'll only be going in the end if it's permitted in the guidance, but we need something to look forward to. If I have to look ahead into this year with no date on the horizon as to when I might be reunited with my family, I'd honestly just not be getting out of bed.

Yeah, this was a report on foreign travel. Said that Turkey, Greece and, I think Spain, were the most popular. Not sure what our chances of getting let in any time soon are!

6 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

That’s a great idea! There so many amazing places to go to for a long weekend away in this country. The cotswolds is a nice place for a long weekend. 

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yeah, this was a report on foreign travel. Said that Turkey, Greece and, I think Spain, were the most popular. Not sure what our chances of getting let in any time soon are!

Yeah that's my worry. I'd bloody love to get away and am thinking I might try for the back end of the year but couldn't be arsed with the hassle of cancelling/postponing etc if I book now. Will wait and see how things are in the summer. I expect we will be plague pariahs for some time to come.

I reckon holidays in the UK are much more likely, as we went on a little one in October even, but I'm only considering things that are super easy to cancel. I have something pencilled in for May with friends that I'm fully expecting not to happen but it's good to have something to aim for! 

26 minutes ago, Homer said:

I saw a slightly perplexing report yesterday that apparently summer holidays sales are through the roof. Can't say it's even occurred to me to book anything, even in this country!

That’s what I keep thinking. Maybe the rationale is that once things are back to normal there will be so much demand people want to get in now to ensure they’ve got one booked.

Personally the way things keep on changing I can’t even contemplate thinking about it. A friend suggested they wanted to go to Brazil the other day, great I said, I’m up for that. A couple of days later and travel is banned from there. It seems like whatever you plan on doing could be out of the window at any point.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I expect we will be plague pariahs for some time to come.

Been watching the cricket (in Sri Lanka) and the English commentary team were saying how it was decided at the last minute that they weren't allowed to travel to the country. Then at the end of play I noticed that had a kiwi doing the interviews in the ground for them. So then realised that they obvs just weren’t letting us in!

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Prices are summer low at the moment is my guess.

I think the prices will be low for a while TBH. MY and wife and I were looing at Turkey and Greece in October when are pre-pandemic booked Mykonos jaunt got cancelled and they were both insanely cheap (less than £200 for flights and accomm and half board generally).

In classic 2020 fashion, common sense prevailed and we ended up in Tenby instead (obvs).

17 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Can we all agree no more restrictions are currently required in this case?

The cases are still incredibly high - especially in the SE, so the faster we can reduce the infection rate the better.  If the cases didn't get so high, then there would be a much stronger case for not needing any additional restrictions.

Having said that, I don't think there will be any more restrictions due to the falling cases.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

so the report I read (The Independent, I think) said, because the 3 months exemption didn't fit with Pritti Hateful's new rules for working visas.

An EU spokesperson said "The UK "refused to include a chapter on mobility in the agreement" and "refused to include a commitment on visa-free short stays".

48 minutes ago, Homer said:

Even though there is no chance we are going to be open by then, and it's ridiculous we are even selling rooms for it, we have quite a few bookings coming in for Feb half term, never mind summer

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The cases are still incredibly high - especially in the SE, so the faster we can reduce the infection rate the better.  If the cases didn't get so high, then there would be a much stronger case for not needing any additional restrictions.

Having said that, I don't think there will be any more restrictions due to the falling cases.

It's a strange one isn't it because I don't think in reality any of the measures scotland have recently introduced are really going to have much of an impact if any at all?

Literally see stopping click and collect for instance as the most pointless thing i've heard in this pandemic!

53 minutes ago, Homer said:

We have something booked (Greece) but that was due to the fact that we had it booked last year and whilst we could have gone (the travel ban had been lifted) we didn't want to.  So we transferred it over to this year instead. If that wasn't the case I am not sure I would have booked anything outside of the UK.  

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

It's a strange one isn't it because I don't think in reality any of the measures scotland have recently introduced are really going to have much of an impact if any at all?

Literally see stopping click and collect for instance as the most pointless thing i've heard in this pandemic!

Its all about mobility though .... more people out and about .... so where people might not catch anything just doing click and collect it means that they just might do something else like just nip in to greggs or get petrol  .... and people seeing more people out and about encourages others out .... so its not quite as simple as the one thing. On an empty street you become obvious if a lot of people are out and about you blend in .... 

Edited by crazyfool1

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Its all about mobility though .... more people out and about .... so where people might not catch anything just doing click and collect it means that they just might do something else like just nip in to greggs or get petrol  .... and people seeing more people out and about encourages others out .... so its not quite as simple as the one thing on an empty street you become obvious if a lot of people are out and about you blend in .... 

Are we honestly begrudging people getting a pastie or a cake now?

In regards to getting petrol this is a bit of a mute point because if you need petrol you need it, whether you get it on your way to work or collecting something from a click and collect you're still visiting the petrol station?

Just now, JoeyT said:

Are we honestly begrudging people getting a pastie or a cake now?

It's not begrudging, but one of the key things is reducing the number of unnecessary or extra visits into shops. It's just about the number of potential transmission points.