When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Some people have got very very rich from this - crazy money 

Not saying they are great, but the Innova lateral flow tests did correctly highlight a positive my wife when she was asymptomatic (later confirmed by a ‘proper’ test). Good job they did too as she had just started her shift in work like normal.

So whilst they are far from ideal, they can be useful in some instances. 

1 minute ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I don't understand this - surely catching 30% of asymptomatic and removing them from circulation is better than missing 100% of asymptomatic cases.

That assumes the 70% of missed positives continue to go about life as cautious as before. Whereas if people get a negative and then act with false reassurance it’s hard to say what is then more damaging.

11 minutes ago, st dan said:

Not saying they are great, but the Innova lateral flow tests did correctly highlight a positive my wife when she was asymptomatic (later confirmed by a ‘proper’ test). Good job they did too as she had just started her shift in work like normal.

So whilst they are far from ideal, they can be useful in some instances. 

2 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I don't understand this - surely catching 30% of asymptomatic and removing them from circulation is better than missing 100% of asymptomatic cases.

Exactly my thoughts. I guess  scientists are all or nothing 

3 minutes ago, mikegday said:

That assumes the 70% of missed positives continue to go about life as cautious as before. Whereas if people get a negative and then act with false reassurance it’s hard to say what is then more damaging.

But for me in a school they would be doing that anyway...with the extra 30% they would've caught in the room  

Edited by efcfanwirral

Just now, mikegday said:

True - but it's pretty hard to go about life as normal, and isn't the testing going to be regular e.g. weekly?

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Exactly my thoughts. I guess  scientists are all or nothing 

I think one of the main issues is the cost of the tests which then work 50% for as standard nasal swab. Plus if it gives kids/people a false assurance that they are COVID free then that could possibly cause more problems than not; especially as I would assume testing kids you are only likely to be able to get a standard nasal swab from most. 

I was kind of speaking more generally sorry about the argument of how worthwhile something less accurate is. Worth saying I live in Liverpool and have taken 3 lateral-flow tests so far. I think it is worth while, IMO (like you) 1 case found is better than none. However like with the lab tests, I’ve had people to say to me ‘it’s ok I’ve tested negative’... I could scream back ‘you got your results yesterday, off the back of a test done 4 days ago.’ Negative tests do result in some people being more lax I think.

Edited by mikegday

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Surely not sustainable? What happens when Newcastle get their inevitable rise in cases?

The hope will be that the rise in cases isnt as high as the SE because we up north locked down earlier (and didn't come out of of T3) in the rise than the SE.

So the strain shouldn't be as high. 

My little corner of South Yorkshire saw a decline per 100k over the last 7 days.

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

thats a damn sight quieter than the road into Taunton Town centre ... maybe more visible enforcement ? or has the hospitals being overwhelmed scared people 

Traffic at rush hour going into Exeter (I work out of town and travel out along one of the main commuter routes in) has been on a par with a half-term weekday. Really wouldn't think there's a lockdown on at all. 

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Eighth, I’ve spent far too long over the years explaining to idiots that the EU ‘interfering’ is more often than not a good thing for most people, compared to the Tories deciding the issue for them instead. 

Spot on. 

I said early it was human rights they were going after.

Looks like they'll start with eroding workers' rights and start to work on removing human rights later.

The UK has right royally fucked itself.

• Upvote 1