When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

does anyone know the difference between an offer letter and how quickly people get the jabs ? id imagine it is only 2 weeks tops .... in that scenario ... I think they will have done a good job to have offered it ..... If people received offers and the jabs were in 6 months time ... they wouldn't !!

For the 80+ all vaccine offers/bookings I am aware of have been verbal over the phone. Literally "We have a vaccination slot for you at  x time on y day, do you want to come?" Bookings made ca. 3-6 days prior.

For NHS staff here it's chaos. Wide circulation NHS internal email sent 18hrs prior to opening of 2 day vaccination clinic inviting you to make an appointment. Sets off a scramble worthy of a Glasto ticket sale day 2019!  And your options are limited because you can only have them on your day off. No leave, even for 30 minutes, to get jabbed...grr.

The vaccine target is 14.9mil by 15th feb, not 12mil isn’t it?

If they hit 2 mil a week from this point onwards they could make 12-13mil, just short of the target of 14.9mil. Also depends how many people choose not to take it.

Also, 2 people I know were booked in today, were phoned up last night and had their appointments cancelled as no vaccine turned up. So there’s definitely supply issues.

3 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

If they hit 2 mil a week from this point onwards they could make 12-13mil, just short of the target of 14.9mil. Also depends how many people choose not to take it.

Also, 2 people I know were booked in today, were phoned up last night and had their appointments cancelled as no vaccine turned up. So there’s definitely supply issues.

Matt Hancock clarified it on the radio the other day as 13.9m.

Edited by Ozanne

1 minute ago, FestivalJamie said:

Oh, i said i reckoned they'd fall a little short of the target at around 12 million. But that its better to have a large target and just miss it, than have a target of around 10 million and meet it

37 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

does anyone know the difference between an offer letter and how quickly people get the jabs ? id imagine it is only 2 weeks tops .... in that scenario ... I think they will have done a good job to have offered it ..... If people received offers and the jabs were in 6 months time ... they wouldn't !!

It's probably going to vary a lot by area.

I'm aware that around here, people booking appointments are often able to get a jab same or following day as the places currently offering the vaccine are nowhere near full capacity - the only reason they're not offering more appointments so far is because if they did run to capacity they'll quickly run out of doses to give.

6 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Thanks. Well they could get close, but will most likely fall a little bit short.

Oh yes I’ve forgot to say the SA strain has now been detected in germany. I can’t see how it’s not spreading here too...

Yeah it’ll be there or thereabouts with the the target.

I think the new variant from Brazil will be the one to look out for. 

1 minute ago, incident said:

It's probably going to vary a lot by area.

I'm aware that around here, people booking appointments are often able to get a jab same or following day as the places currently offering the vaccine are nowhere near full capacity - the only reason they're not offering more appointments so far is because if they did run to capacity they'll quickly run out of doses to give.

yep that makes sense ... ive a couple of friends today been told yesterday they  can have jabs over the next few days if they want them .... social care ...Im still loving the discussion around vaccines .. who would have thought we might be at a stage of jabs being rolled out 10 months ago 

11 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Yeah, place set up for vaccines in my Mum's town which was supposed to be starting last Monday has had to postpone as they didn't receive any vaccines....hopefully next week...

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah it’ll be there or thereabouts with the the target.

I think the new variant from Brazil will be the one to look out for. 

What’s scary about the SA variant is that it’s summer over there and it’s spreading like wildfire. Whichever variant we had in Europe over summer seemed like it didn’t spread that fast in the hot weather and was more of a seasonal variant.

So if the SA variant has ability to spread quick all year round then we’re a little in trouble.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, place set up for vaccines in my Mum's town which was supposed to be starting last Monday has had to postpone as they didn't receive any vaccines....hopefully next week...

so still plenty of capacity to ramp up the numbers given .... just need the doses 

16 hours ago, JoeyT said:

But if the current restrictions are working (appears they are?) why do we need more shit forced on us?

The hospital admissions and deaths are already going to decrease albeit on a lag if you see what I mean? 

Because people admitted today will still be in hospital in two weeks' time. So numbers need to be even lower I guess.

13 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:
Is there a bit of lack of understanding of this from him? I get what he's saying for the medium term (10 days or so onwards) but if they're going to run out of beds in London in a few days surely that's happening whatever regardless of case numbers? 

I think we're obsessed with the 2-week thing on this forum, looking for patterns two-weeks after whatever restrictions or loosening happen. 2 weeks is the *maximum* time from infection to symptoms. The median time is 4-5 days. People will contract COVID today and get symptoms and need hospitalising at the weekend. 2 weeks is the outer limit. It's the point where we can say for sure that any new cases are from after that new restriction came in, it's the first point at which you can get "pure" data on the efficacy of any given measure. But the measures take effect much sooner than that. It's just hard to see how much because the reduction they have is competing with an unknown increase from elsewhere.

13 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

Thing is I need to keep the job as can't lose it in this climate.. So not even rock that boat tbh

It's still shit though 😞

Yeah a 20% paycut across the board may well be better than losing 20% headcount

On the subject of vaccinations, here’s the latest update.

Italy still making good progress however Denmark has massively slowed over the last few days. They’ve practically not done any over the last 3-4 days. I imagine they have run out of supply and are waiting for their next delivery of Pfizer/Moderna. Will be a real boost for the Eu and we should see vaccination ramp up massively over there once AZ gets approved.

1EEB12DC-3970-4B96-ABC4-86ECD6B773DA.thumb.png.286311c6400dc4bd7fee40e0c52ee83c.png

• Upvote 1

Just now, FestivalJamie said:

On the subject of vaccinations, here’s the latest update.

Italy still making good progress however Denmark has massively slowed over the last few days. They’ve practically not done any over the last 3-4 days. I imagine they have run out of supply and are waiting for their next delivery of Pfizer/Moderna.

Remember that these are vaccinations reported, not necessarily vaccinations done.

As such, it's not strictly reliable as a nation to nation comparison - it could just be in Denmark for example that each site is only submitting their numbers once or twice a week and at some point there's a massive jump.

2 hours ago, Radiochicken said:

Surely it’s an area with one of the clearest business cases. My guess is it’s in the pile of “too difficult do in practice” so they just haven’t bothered. Anyone know how other counties do it? Is it by default their sick pay is adequate?

Ugh. I'm going to defend the government a bit here. The furlough scheme is far from perfect, and people who are self-employed, which is loads of people, all fall through the cracks. But where it works, it works. It's been there since the start in some form or another, requiring various levels of contributions from employers but it's been there.

The idea is that if you need to isolate, your employer should furlough you. So you get 80% of your wages at least. Even with employers still having to cover the cost of national insurance, or at some points towards the end of the old scheme having to chip in 10-30%, those numbers were generally less or not materially more than the £400 in statutory sick pay they have to give you anyway.

If employers are just signing people off sick rather than furloughing if they have to isolate, they're doing it wrong.

4 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

My 90 year old Grandad has now had both of his doses of the vaccine. He lives in Halton in the northwest, which is currently just about the worst place to be in the country in terms of infection rate. Massive relief! 

ah cool glad to hear it