When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Very true. This is hospital admission data for NHS England:

Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 17.24.41.png

The geographic spread of those hospitalisatons is the really crucial dimension in understanding has London reached its peak of hospitalisations are other areas (with less hospital capacity) going to have the same pressures as London in the coming weeks etc... Etc... 

High hospitalisation with an even spread isn't as problematic as high hospitalisation numbers with a small geographic spread. 

57 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah it is especially with 4k hospital admissions. I think Johnson will be forced into more strict restrictions soon. 

But if the current restrictions are working (appears they are?) why do we need more shit forced on us?

The hospital admissions and deaths are already going to decrease albeit on a lag if you see what I mean? 

10 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

The geographic spread of those hospitalisatons is the really crucial dimension in understanding has London reached its peak of hospitalisations are other areas (with less hospital capacity) going to have the same pressures as London in the coming weeks etc... Etc... 

High hospitalisation with an even spread isn't as problematic as high hospitalisation numbers with a small geographic spread. 

it's all going to shift north, London/SE hospitals getting it now..but cases still climbing in the north, and hospitals already stretched.

Just now, JoeyT said:

But if the current restrictions are working (appears they are?) why do we need more shit forced on us?

The hospital admissions and deaths are already going to decrease albeit on a lag if you see what I mean? 

I think the question is, are they working quick enough to prevent hospitals being overwhelmed? Case numbers have dropped but if they are still around the 40k mark then it shows transmission is high and that possibly won’t be enough. To get cases down further and quicker we might need more action. 

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I'm guessing if case numbers continue to come  down then may stick with restrictions that we have...but maybe they are worried about parts of the country that are already struggling and where new variant is only starting to have an effect.

25 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

True....but with little sign of figures for patients in hospital and on ventilation plateauing it's probably safe to assume admissions are still on the upward slope.

Very true. We’re 45% up on last March for number of inpatients. Going to take a couple of weeks to plateau I think. 

4 minutes ago, hillwalker said:

Very true. We’re 45% up on last March for number of inpatients. Going to take a couple of weeks to plateau I think. 

An element of that is that people are staying in hospital longer because people are surviving that previously wouldn't as a result that is slowing the throughput of the hospital. 

2 hours ago, Chef said:

There is also some evidence the new variant may not be quite as fast-spreading as first feared - a Public Health England study suggested rather than being 70% more transmissible, it may actually be somewhere between 30% to 50%.

From here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55649426 

It's almost like the massive rise was (at least in part) down to the way the government fucked up December and not just the scary new variant....

Imagine my shock 🙄

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Taiwan: pop 27m, 7 deaths
Vietnam: pop 90m, 35 deaths
Thailand: pop 70m, 67 deaths
Australia: pop 26m, 909 deaths

UK: pop 66m, 100,000 deaths

Our massive number is horrible but it can be hard to even comprehend or think about it in a real world situ. Today it dawned on me that for us in the North West it’s 1 in every 540 people that have died so far to COVID. Horrifying!!

So been a bit shit today on the job front as after 6 months full furlough and 2 months part time furlough last year... I was put on secondment doing customer services of all things in December and finally got a full month's wage for the 1st time since March 

Obviously with new lockdown in Jan I was happy to find out last week I was being kept on full time in customer services. But today get the boss contacting me saying cos my salary is over X amount they expect me to still work but on 80% pay until end of March from 1st Jan.  This will include 80% on hols too

Will get money back eventually but saying expect this by end June 2022!!

Whilst I know I'm lucky to be in a job 80% really is a struggle and it's made me proper miserable tbh 😞

17 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

So been a bit shit today on the job front as after 6 months full furlough and 2 months part time furlough last year... I was put on secondment doing customer services of all things in December and finally got a full month's wage for the 1st time since March 

Obviously with new lockdown in Jan I was happy to find out last week I was being kept on full time in customer services. But today get the boss contacting me saying cos my salary is over X amount they expect me to still work but on 80% pay until end of March from 1st Jan.  This will include 80% on hols too

Will get money back eventually but saying expect this by end June 2022!!

Whilst I know I'm lucky to be in a job 80% really is a struggle and it's made me proper miserable tbh 😞

Is that even allowed? 

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

He’s so far out of his depth here it’s laughable. Several times he was asked what are the measures and he has no real answer. No wonder he tries to get out of going to these meetings.

He also looks very uncomfortable talking to Yvette Cooper there.