When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

which bit of limited NHS capacity are you failing to understand covid and other services are not mutually exclusive ..... please tell me where these likely extra NHS staff will magically appear from , with the massive numbers of NHS staff ill or isolating .... look at those videos and photos carefully and see what parts of the hospitals are empty .... corridors , basements etc .... you are being frankly very disrespectful to those on here doing heroic work on our behalf ... 

Completely agree. The fact that anybody to believe it’s overwhelmed needs to see busy corridors is frankly ridiculous. No one should need to be treated in hospital corridors. If the wards are full as we are being told by many that they are then by definition we are at risk of being overwhelmed, the definition of overwhelmed should refer to when the wards are full, not when we’re having to use hospital corridors to treat the sick. These are human beings we’re talking about here!

1 minute ago, Henrik said:

Have a day off mate.

I think he's making a fair point. Unfortunately people will see this and use it as justification to bend the rules themselves. Sadly not the Churchillian type of leading from the front we were told to expect!

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It all depends on hospitalisation and death rates, if both drop so hospitals are not overstretched then restrictions will be gradually be eased. We don't know how quickly this will be, but hopefully the summer will feel pretty normal. We may or may not need more restrictions next winter. The lockdown is a short term fix, the warmer weather will help in the spring and summer, and vaccines are hopefully the long term fix. Meanwhile, we have an emergency health crisis on our hands, so you might just have to put up with being paranoid for a while longer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-55582836

It's summer in Australia and Brisbane has just been locked down because of a single case, is that reasonable and proportionate? They can continue to justify lockdowns as long as they can find "cases".

16 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

Out of curiosity, which interventions do you feel they will keep?  It seems to me that the government has enough trouble trying to get us all to do the minimum ("wear a mask in the shop" being a prime example of "a bridge too far" for many people!)

Masks is the one I’m particularly worried about. I’m perfectly happy to wear one given that there’s a pandemic with asymptomatic transmission going on just now. But I have no intention of routinely wearing them in the long run. 

As someone who has made multiple hospital visits recently I can tell you that they are busy but they are also trying to reduce as many people on site as possible. 

The last time I went for a physical appointment for a scan I could have easily filmed an empty corridor as I walked down it. It doesn’t show the full picture though and doesn’t mean the hospital isn’t busy. 

If anything this pandemic has reduced the amount of people in hospital that don’t need to be there. Whole families taking a day out no longer happens, If possible they are doing appointments via video, I had one this afternoon while I was working. I’m hoping that continues as I didn’t have to take any time off. 

5 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

It's summer in Australia and Brisbane has just been locked down because of a single case, is that reasonable and proportionate? They can continue to justify lockdowns as long as they can find "cases".

It is completely reasonable because 1 case then transmits into 10 and then 100 and then 1000 and then 50,000 and then you end up like the uk with one of the highest death tolls in the world.

Edited by FestivalJamie

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

well, they have managed to get down to zero covid, or thereabouts, and want to keep it that way until they can roll out vaccines themselves? It's a 3 day lockdown which could save them from a much longer lockdown sometime in the future. Beijing is doing something similar. Probably not sustainable because endemic elsewhere, but I guess that's their strategy for now. We don't have that option here it seems.

Just now, steviewevie said:

well, they have managed to get down to zero covid, or thereabouts, and want to keep it that way until they can roll out vaccines themselves? It's a 3 day lockdown which could save them from a much longer lockdown sometime in the future. Beijing is doing something similar. Probably not sustainable because endemic elsewhere, but I guess that's their strategy for now. We don't have that option here it seems.

We did have that option. We chose not to take it.

51 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

it's hard not to be paranoid when every thing you fear comes to pass, I warned of this earlier in the thread but was told only healthcare professionals could administer the jab, well that's no longer the case, the restrictions on our civil liberties continue to be increased and the majority go along with them or beg for more, we are heading into totalitarianism and few seem to care.

I wouldn’t go that far but we will need to watch them. It’s truly astonishing to see how trusting people are of this Government. One that contains Priti Patel, Michael Gove and Dominic Raab. One that is demonstrably, even proudly untrustworthy. They’ll Wade in on their incompetence and the way they lie about their incompetence, but still think they can be relied on to give back powers they take for themselves. Cognitive Dissonance at its finest.

"It will likely take until Spring to offer the first dose of vaccination to the JCVI priority groups 1-9, with estimated cover of around 27 million people in England and 32 million people across the UK."

Astronomical Spring begins 20th March and ends on 21st June. Wonder which one they'll choose? Then they'll be into the second doses as well. 

47 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Hospitals are not at capacity, many parts of hospitals are empty as some of the videos have shown, the ICU's are busy as they are every winter, December is the worse month so things should slowly improve now. The point of the "empty hospital" videos is not to show covid doesn't exist but that people are not getting treated for the stuff they would normally attend hospital for, if parts of the hospital are deserted (and some are, I've seen it for myself locally) then the people who would normally be getting treatment are having to wait or go without, this will have an effect on excess mortality.

Oh for fuck's sake that's all utter bullshit. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

I just checked, they changed it back in October and not just for Covid but the Flu jab too, this is dangerous as it opens the way to compulsory vaccinations if they want, doctors and nurses wouldn't vaccinate someone against their will because of medical ethics, this rule means anyone can administer the vaccine as long as they follow the protocol without fear of any liabilty. They could order army personnel to vaccinate people and they couldn't refuse. I'm not saying this is going to happen but there is nothing to stop it, the legal framework is there.

Sounds like a good plan to me. We're "lucky" with this vaccine as it mostly just protects the person taking it, so if anti-vaxxers don't want it they can take their chances. If the next pandemic is something more akin to smallpox, where it matters that everyone takes the vaccine or it won't work, then we'll need compulsory vaccination. Too many anti-vax nutters that there's no other option now.

27 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

Out of curiosity, which interventions do you feel they will keep?  It seems to me that the government has enough trouble trying to get us all to do the minimum ("wear a mask in the shop" being a prime example of "a bridge too far" for many people!)

Masks in crowded spaces if you're ill. Not touching strangers.

12 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Masks is the one I’m particularly worried about. I’m perfectly happy to wear one given that there’s a pandemic with asymptomatic transmission going on just now. But I have no intention of routinely wearing them in the long run. 

opposite for me. Happy to keep masks as a thing for a while.

Just now, Copperface said:

"It will likely take until Spring to offer the first dose of vaccination to the JCVI priority groups 1-9, with estimated cover of around 27 million people in England and 32 million people across the UK."

Astronomical Spring begins 20th March and ends on 21st June. Wonder which one they'll choose? Then they'll be into the second doses as well. 

Ah I see you've moved on from saying there was no way that they will meet the mid-February target... had a change of heart?