When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, phimill said:

Could moving the expected approval time for the OX/AZ vaccine effect UK supply? As we are currently the only country in Europe to have approved it we obviously are 100% supply from AZ. 

I don't think so as there are other EU-based manufacturers that AZ have for it (it's not all coming from the UK). I know Halix in the Netherlands are making it, Catalent will actually manufacture as well as their fill & finish contract and AZ sites across Europe are also manufacturing (I think they have 20 different sites in 15 different countries making it). So, most of the UK doses come from UK manufacturers (80m out of the 100m order I seem to recall), but elsewhere will get it from other sites (SII in India for examples are making tons of it for the Indian market and will make the Covax supply). 

Up to date figures

More than 2.5m people in UK have now had one dose of vaccine, MPs told

The public accounts committee has just started taking evidence from Sir Simon Stevens, the NHS England chief executive, Kate Bingham, head of the vaccine taskforce, and five other senior officials about vaccines.

Stevens has just told the MPs that 2.3m people in England, more than 2.5m people in the UK, have now had one dose of the vaccine.

3 minutes ago, mcshed said:

The pandemic that has hospitals at capacity so they expanded the number of people who get the flu vaccine to help relieve some of that pressure.

Or it's a secret plan to get YOU.

Hospitals are not at capacity, many parts of hospitals are empty as some of the videos have shown, the ICU's are busy as they are every winter, December is the worse month so things should slowly improve now. The point of the "empty hospital" videos is not to show covid doesn't exist but that people are not getting treated for the stuff they would normally attend hospital for, if parts of the hospital are deserted (and some are, I've seen it for myself locally) then the people who would normally be getting treatment are having to wait or go without, this will have an effect on excess mortality.

• Downvote 8

3 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

it's hard not to be paranoid when every thing you fear comes to pass, I warned of this earlier in the thread but was told only healthcare professionals could administer the jab, well that's no longer the case, the restrictions on our civil liberties continue to be increased and the majority go along with them or beg for more, we are heading into totalitarianism and few seem to care.

you are Anti lockdown too arent you ? which would you prefer .... never ending lockdowns or some non nursing staff giving out the vaccine ? i stick a needle in myself 4 x a day by the way .... dont remember signing any training .... and quite wonderfully it keeps me alive ... and that is down to the wonders of Science ..... I believe its 99 years to the day since the first insulin injection .... I digress .... that is what the vaccine will do for many others 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Up to date figures

More than 2.5m people in UK have now had one dose of vaccine, MPs told

The public accounts committee has just started taking evidence from Sir Simon Stevens, the NHS England chief executive, Kate Bingham, head of the vaccine taskforce, and five other senior officials about vaccines.

Stevens has just told the MPs that 2.3m people in England, more than 2.5m people in the UK, have now had one dose of the vaccine.

bloody hell thats 100,000 in half an hour ......... what odds them finishing it this week ? 🙂 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Most people recognise we are in the midst of a deadly pandemic, if you think these restrictions will remain once it is over you are quite frankly not worth listening to. 

I’m not one of those people who believes there’s some big conspiracy theory to restrict our freedom (when I have questioned lockdown in the past, it’s always been purely on the basis of the cure being worse than the disease, which for me isn’t the case during the vaccine rollout) but the problem is at what point do we declare it “over”?

Patrick Vallance for example has said since day 1 that the virus will eventually become endemic in society and we’ll find an equilibrium that society is willing to accept. Perhaps this would mean 10,000 deaths or so per year.

But then you’ve got other scientists, for example Devi Sridhar, screaming about how one death is too many and we should lock down until covid is completely eliminated from the UK, and even then we could only open up by making the UK an isolated bubble with no foreign travel. Is it reasonable to expect us to never go on holiday again? Consider that third world countries will NEVER rid themselves of the virus due to not being able to afford the vaccines.

My money is on it ending up like flu. We’ll vaccinate the vulnerable every year and then live our lives. The higher IFR of covid-19 will be balanced out by the covid vaccines being significantly more effective than the flu jab. But I’m not sure exactly where you draw the line between endemic and epidemic. And that’s where I worry that certain interventions are here to stay.

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

you are Anti lockdown too arent you ? which would you prefer .... never ending lockdowns or some non nursing staff giving out the vaccine ? i stick a needle in myself 4 x a day by the way .... dont remember signing any training .... and quite wonderfully it keeps me alive ... and that is down to the wonders of Science ..... I believe its 99 years to the day since the first insulin injection .... I digress .... that is what the vaccine will do for many others 

Well we've got both at the moment, and the promise of lockdowns well into this year despite the vaccine.

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

..... I believe its 99 years to the day since the first insulin injection .... I digress .... that is what the vaccine will do for many others 

I've got 99 problems but a vaccine insulin one of them... 

Edited by oneeye

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

Well we've got both at the moment, and the promise of lockdowns well into this year despite the vaccine.

yes ... but with a way out with the vaccine .... the lockdowns would be continuous until we hit herd immunity with many more deaths .... so I will ask again .... which would you prefer ? 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

My money is on it ending up like flu. We’ll vaccinate the vulnerable every year and then live our lives. The higher IFR of covid-19 will be balanced out by the covid vaccines being significantly more effective than the flu jab. But I’m not sure exactly where you draw the line between endemic and epidemic. And that’s where I worry that certain interventions are here to stay.

I guess the only concern is long covid in younger people...but maybe they'll try and get most vaccinated to avoid this....

11 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

It's unfortunate that it lies twice in the first few lines just in order to try and falsely boast..

image.png.9b4e79388c05c32adb1b6d0b158d79ad.png

We're not the first (or even the amongst the first 3), and technically China approved a 4th before we approved 3.

You can certainly argue that we followed a better process than those Chinese/Russian vaccines, and so their achievements don't matter, but that's my point. It's not about being first, it's about doing it right.

''From 11 January, daily data for England will be published showing the total number vaccinated to date, including first and second doses. On 14 January and then on a weekly basis, NHSEI will publish a more detailed breakdown of vaccinations in England, including by region.''

So as of Thursday there will be a region by region breakdown of stats in England.

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

...  I worry that certain interventions are here to stay.

Out of curiosity, which interventions do you feel they will keep?  It seems to me that the government has enough trouble trying to get us all to do the minimum ("wear a mask in the shop" being a prime example of "a bridge too far" for many people!)

4 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

It all depends on hospitalisation and death rates, if both drop so hospitals are not overstretched then restrictions will be gradually be eased. We don't know how quickly this will be, but hopefully the summer will feel pretty normal. We may or may not need more restrictions next winter. The lockdown is a short term fix, the warmer weather will help in the spring and summer, and vaccines are hopefully the long term fix. Meanwhile, we have an emergency health crisis on our hands, so you might just have to put up with being paranoid for a while longer.

14 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Hospitals are not at capacity, many parts of hospitals are empty as some of the videos have shown, the ICU's are busy as they are every winter, December is the worse month so things should slowly improve now. The point of the "empty hospital" videos is not to show covid doesn't exist but that people are not getting treated for the stuff they would normally attend hospital for, if parts of the hospital are deserted (and some are, I've seen it for myself locally) then the people who would normally be getting treatment are having to wait or go without, this will have an effect on excess mortality.

which bit of limited NHS capacity are you failing to understand covid and other services are not mutually exclusive ..... please tell me where these likely extra NHS staff will magically appear from , with the massive numbers of NHS staff ill or isolating .... look at those videos and photos carefully and see what parts of the hospitals are empty .... corridors , basements etc .... you are being frankly very disrespectful to those on here doing heroic work on our behalf ... 

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

which bit of limited NHS capacity are you failing to understand covid and other services are not mutually exclusive ..... please tell me where these likely extra NHS staff will magically appear from , with the massive numbers of NHS staff ill or isolating .... look at those videos and photos carefully and see what parts of the hospitals are empty .... corridors , basements etc .... you are being frankly very disrespectful to those on here doing heroic work on our behalf ... 

Wonder if this is specifically targetted?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55560714

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Johnson’s been caught going for a cycle ride 7 miles from No 10. Whilst not the end of the world this morning Downing Street were saying the advice was to stay in the part of the city you are in. 

Have a day off mate.