When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Homer said:

I hilariously spent the first six months of 2019 whinging on here about how I didn't have a Glastonbury ticket (got one in the end end).

Think I might spend the first six months of this year whinging about how I do have a ticket to the Euro 2020 final.

I’ve got one for Wales and Italy in Rome(being Welsh, I don’t need one for the final, haha) and I can’t see that happening either.

I’ve also got a voucher for a flight to Rome and a hotel in the centre of Rome so I’ll be off to Rome some time when this is all over no matter what. Haha.

On that note, has anyone got a good website for finding gigs in Rome? If I’m using my vouchers up I’d rather catch a few gigs when I’m out there.

Ive been checking tour dates as they get announced and I think Opeth and Biffy are playing at some stage but it would be good to see a full list of bands playing so I can choose dates.

34 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's not so much the tweet that was being quoted, as the question being posed - what does he stand for? Because I'm fucked if I know and I'm a member of the Labour party.

Me neither, and he needs to be careful, because he's looking increasingly vapid and opportunistic. It's a hard job, and it takes a long time to settle into (and it's a nightmare with the Tory press, though at least he has the BBC and centrist pundits going easy on him), but I do think he needs to get rid of some of his strategists/advisers, they seem like a bunch of inept sociopaths. This whole 'wait til you know what Boris is going to announce and then demand it, just before he does' tactic is just weird in the middle of pandemic- stop playing such stupid games! 

Still there is a wider issue, and I've said it before- there seems to be a complete lack of any policy ideas coming out of centrists, and it's been that was for years, that's why they keep pivoting back to 'attack the left', because they have nothing else. Hopefully Biden will show some leadership in that regard (never thought I'd say that!). 

I'm genuinely looking forward to the day when we can start discussing policy again, there are a shed load of huge problems now and on the horizon, demographically, environmentally, socially, economically- we can't have nothing substantial to say on any of them!

2 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

I’ve got one for Wales and Italy in Rome(being Welsh, I don’t need one for the final, haha) and I can’t see that happening either.

I’ve also got a voucher for a flight to Rome and a hotel in the centre of Rome so I’ll be off to Rome some time when this is all over no matter what. Haha.

On that note, has anyone got a good website for finding gigs in Rome? If I’m using my vouchers up I’d rather catch a few gigs when I’m out there.

Ive been checking tour dates as they get announced and I think Opeth and Biffy are playing at some stage but it would be good to see a full list of bands playing so I can choose dates.

I always found Songkick good for this sort of thing https://www.songkick.com/metro-areas/30366-italy-rome - usually covers most shows

2 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Nope. Antibodies may dwindle over time but that does not mean immunity is gone. Pretty common misconception I hear all the time which isn't helped by media reporting. 

Most new evidence suggests people are immune for a long time possibly years.

Can you share some of these sources? (genuine question) because everything I've read is that essentially they don't know- they hope we are at least resistant to re-infection (or at least get it milder second time round), but can't be sure, and there are indications that resistance may fade over time. Definitely haven't seen any stuff saying we'll be immune for years.

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

Me neither, and he needs to be careful, because he's looking increasingly vapid and opportunistic. It's a hard job, and it takes a long time to settle into (and it's a nightmare with the Tory press, though at least he has the BBC and centrist pundits going easy on him), but I do think he needs to get rid of some of his strategists/advisers, they seem like a bunch of inept sociopaths. This whole 'wait til you know what Boris is going to announce and then demand it, just before he does' tactic is just weird in the middle of pandemic- stop playing such stupid games! 

Still there is a wider issue, and I've said it before- there seems to be a complete lack of any policy ideas coming out of centrists, and it's been that was for years, that's why they keep pivoting back to 'attack the left', because they have nothing else. Hopefully Biden will show some leadership in that regard (never thought I'd say that!). 

I'm genuinely looking forward to the day when we can start discussing policy again, there are a shed load of huge problems now and on the horizon, demographically, environmentally, socially, economically- we can't have nothing substantial to say on any of them!

I thought the idea of Starmer was "Corbyn, but competent". That seemed to be what everyone in the hustings was saying when the Labour membership was the audience. 

I'm all for realistic, achievable left wing politics. I'm still not convinced that pragmatic and right wing are the same thing, but it seems to be the only axis the Labour party seems to understand, at least in my lifetime.

55 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's not so much the tweet that was being quoted, as the question being posed - what does he stand for? Because I'm fucked if I know and I'm a member of the Labour party.

yeah, well hopefully we'll find out before the next election! At moment he's just trying to look like someone you could imagine as PM, competent etc. And then he somehow has to come up with a direction and manifesto that pleases everyone.

On Starmer, there’s still a lot we don’t know about him. 

He’s a fantastic leader of the opposition, he’s the perfect person to hold the government to account and question their decisions. 

Don’t know if he’s a leader of the country yet, will he get enough support to win an election.

There are many who will vote for him simply because he’s not Corbyn but equally there are probably just as many who won’t vote for him because he’s not Corbyn

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Can’t get my head around the media gunning for people who head to beauty spots.

Generally have no proof that they aren’t from the local area.

If I lived near a sea front or similar I’d be doing a walk there.

They’ve literally stopped us doing anything else ffs give us a break.

Because they always punch down- it's why they loved laying into people on benefits following the 2008 financial crash. Or immigrants before that. Attacking the public for minor stuff, means they don't have to attack the government for major stuff (i.e. nearly their entire covid tactics). Plus sadly, it resonates more with the public, who are quite happy to focus their ire on other people rather than those in charge.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

I had tickets for the two games in Azerbaijan, haven’t had the money back for our cancelled flights back in June yet. Knocked it on the head for this year as I can’t be arsed with the hassle of it getting cancelled again.

41 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Can you share some of these sources? (genuine question) because everything I've read is that essentially they don't know- they hope we are at least resistant to re-infection (or at least get it milder second time round), but can't be sure, and there are indications that resistance may fade over time. Definitely haven't seen any stuff saying we'll be immune for years.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4257

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/01/06/1015822/covid-19-immunity-likely-lasts-for-years/

There are of course exceptions. Another thing to note is people in Asia that caught the coronavirus there in 2003 are still immune to this day.

36 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Because they always punch down- it's why they loved laying into people on benefits following the 2008 financial crash. Or immigrants before that. Attacking the public for minor stuff, means they don't have to attack the government for major stuff (i.e. nearly their entire covid tactics). Plus sadly, it resonates more with the public, who are quite happy to focus their ire on other people rather than those in charge.

100%. And the media are completely complicit in this: focusing on the very few people getting stopped, or making a big deal out of people travelling to 'beauty spots' or whatever and making this a thing, means the government don't have to be held accountable for sending thousands and thousands of people back into workplaces which is the largest point of transmission right now. That's the thing keeping infections high, not my neighbours driving to the park because their kids are going mad indoors. It's infuriating.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

1 hour ago, topmarksbri said:

It's a tricky one, think he does need to announce some policy soon-ish but during a pandemic feels slightly pointless, it'll get lost in the shuffle. 

58 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I was going to respond to 2hats with a 👍, me too. And I agree with both the responses. Starmer is in a very delicate position, he has got to have his eye on 4 years time, whilst currently showing he is a constructive critic trying to help the country through very tough times.  But he needs to start making it clearer what he does stand for. Tough. 

Edited by chuckles07
Spell check. Starmer was starker.....

For anyone in or around Sussex (or those interested) here's a couple of links to some vaccination information for the area:

https://www.sussexhealthandcare.uk/keepsussexsafe/sussex-covid-19-vaccination-programme/?fbclid=IwAR0QTvCFYYt92knZJm28wGIoQEy8pEx-UeCYBP-ejp9Sm9RF2d1n5VO5efo

https://www.timloughton.com/vaccinations-update-9-january

The update in the 2nd link from Tim Loughton is very useful.

38 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4257

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/01/06/1015822/covid-19-immunity-likely-lasts-for-years/

There are of course exceptions. Another thing to note is people in Asia that caught the coronavirus there in 2003 are still immune to this day.

I think you’re being a bit premature- the bmj only goes for 6 months resistance (though it may be longer). So far the MIT technology article is a rarity. It’s too soon to assume once you’ve had it, you’re immune for years. BMJ even goes as far as saying:

There has been concern that the cellular immune response following covid-19 infection may not be sustained. “This data is reassuring,” lead study author Paul Moss, from the University of Birmingham, told a Science Media Centre briefing on 2 November. “However, it does not mean that people cannot be re-infected. We need to have much larger population studies to show that.” Moss also added that the findings “can’t be taken as confirmation that an ‘immunity passport’ would be feasible.”

25 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I think you’re being a bit premature- the bmj only goes for 6 months resistance (though it may be longer). So far the MIT technology article is a rarity. It’s too soon to assume once you’ve had it, you’re immune for years. BMJ even goes as far as saying:

There has been concern that the cellular immune response following covid-19 infection may not be sustained. “This data is reassuring,” lead study author Paul Moss, from the University of Birmingham, told a Science Media Centre briefing on 2 November. “However, it does not mean that people cannot be re-infected. We need to have much larger population studies to show that.” Moss also added that the findings “can’t be taken as confirmation that an ‘immunity passport’ would be feasible.”

They can’t say definitively it’ll last years yet of course but signs point that way.

My real point was that not having antibodies doesn’t mean you’re not immune.