When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, gordong said:

This approach would be political suicide. As soon as the vulnerable have been vaccinated, I can see compliance to any further restrictions dropping through the floor. 

It's been political suicide not listening to the scientists so far, do you think a new approach is potentially needed?

12 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I find it odd that some people find it surprising that some parts of the general public aren’t following the rules / guidance to the letter anymore.

Lockdown fatigue was warned of months ago. It shouldn’t come as a surprise.

As much as we had posters on here warn a January lockdown was inevitable we also had folk saying similar about the public getting tired of enforced lockdowns.

Throw in the vaccine and the progress we will make with that over the next few weeks you’ve got compliance reducing further as people look for the light which is a way out of this.

I think the public has been more compliant than many people expected, but I think there probably is some lockdown fatigue, I'm certainly sick of it...but then you just have to switch on the news and see what a state we are in and why this needs to be done. Also, this lockdown isn't as strict as the first one, and more businesses have suddenly decided they're essential workers which is why seeing more kids in school.

2 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

Just read about the first case of the South African mutation being found here and with that report there was a comment that that one has mutated a lot and that there is a lot more doubt about the existing vacinnes being affective. Not good news.

Not sure this is correct. Most scientists seem to be saying they think the vaccine still works on both variants, although they are not sure.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Also, this lockdown isn't as strict as the first one, and more businesses have suddenly decided they're essential workers which is why seeing more kids in school.

But if you’re a small/medium sized company, then continuing to work during this could certainly be classed as ‘essential’ - after a year of livelihoods being decimated. And if they are legally allowed to operate, then given the decision many of them are simply not going to choose to close. 

Edited by st dan

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Loads of people aren’t following the rules ‘behind the scenes’. For example, I know somebody who broke up with their boyfriend a couple of months back and they’ve been here there and everywhere if you get my drift.

I mean, what do you think this article suggests is happening:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/newsbeat-53736087

Would they say in a poll if asked that we should have a stricter lockdown in place?

Eventually, it will get to the stage where once the vulnerable are vaccinated, people will want to meet up. If the govt keeps the pubs closed, they'll find somewhere else. 

6 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

Hancock confirms UK now vaccinating 200,000 a day. Given we have a huge amount of expansion still due, you’d hope this could eventually hit 300/400,000 a day or so. 

From tomorrow onwards we’ll see if this is bearing out in the figures. 

Over a third of over-80s have now received first jab. 

That’s incredibly good news if true ... maybe the govt went for a minimum figure that could be achieved rather that a stretch target .....and will say look we smashed all targets for vaccine rollout aren’t we good 

1 minute ago, st dan said:

But if you’re a small/medium sized company, then continuing to work during this cod certainly be classed as ‘essential’ - after a year of livelihoods being decimated. And if they are legally allowed to operate, then given the decision many of them are simply not going to choose to close. 

I dont think anyone is blaming the companies or confused as to why they are doing it. Its just a factual issue that more Businesses are open and more kids are in school

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

That’s incredibly good news if true ... maybe the govt went for a minimum figure that could be achieved rather that a stretch target .....and will say look we smashed all targets for vaccine rollout aren’t we good 

I thought it was an unrealistic target and that the govt are idiots for even trying to go for it?

10 hours ago, kalifire said:

Really don’t see how they can “pencil in” any date whatsoever when it’s obvious their plan is having minimal impact on lowering transmission. They have to be guided by the data, not some arbitrary calendar. 

Yep, also worryingly that makes it seem like they still (after almost a year!)  have zero long term strategy and don't seem to even want to start to think about one- absolutely mental! There plan seems to be, lets just hope we can get a handle on this then just open things up again and hope for the best!:

“I can understand the short-term panic that is going on at presentas hospital cases rise so quickly but I am amazed at the sheer lack of long-term strategy there has been for dealing with Covid,” he told the Observer. “I can see no signs of any thinking about it.”

This view was backed by Mark Woolhouse, professor of infectious disease epidemiology at Edinburgh University. “This epidemic would have unfolded very differently and in a much happier way if we had accepted, back in February, that we were in this for the long term,” he said. “However, the view that it was a short-term problem prevailed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/10/plan-for-the-future-now-or-covid-will-last-for-years-uk-scientists-warn

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

I’d love to see in to the future to find out what the vibe would be in a months time...!

Would be very interesting to see the reaction and response if we are seeing around 75k cases per day, but under 100 deaths and falling hospital admissions. 

1 hour ago, The Dawg said:

I am angler (but not in this weather!) and don't see what the problem is? Sat on your own socially distant is what it's all about. I am in a number of clubs and some of the waters I fish are so relaxing/stunning that I don't mind if I don't catch.

For me, it's about getting out in amongst nature and just generally getting away from the rat race and shit news.

Well people shouldn’t be travelling in an ideal world.  Also, I love Golf, why can’t I hit the course alone? It just contradicts things as always.  Where do you get your bait? 

Honestly, FairPlay to the fishermen about, lucky them!

13 minutes ago, st dan said:

Would be very interesting to see the reaction and response if we are seeing around 75k cases per day, but under 100 deaths and falling hospital admissions. 

I think it would bascially lead to the anti-lockdowners telling Boris to open up everything, although judging by what's happening and how quickly it's happening too I could see this being a very real possibility, perhaps not as low on the deaths but certainly reduced 

Just now, eFestivals said:

more importantly, people shouldn't be saying "the thing I want should be open" in an ideal world. 😉 

1.  We’ve all done that the last year regarding Glastonbury including you....

2. Of course I agree, requests shouldn’t be made but it’s another one of those things, of well that’s open because it’s exercise, can be done alone, it’s outside.... why isn’t my one too?  Makes no sense

4 minutes ago, sisco said:

1.  We’ve all done that the last year regarding Glastonbury including you....

i've quite possibly done it - tho not about Glastonbury as far as I can recall - but it doesn't mean it's right to do. It's a very me-me-me thing for anyone to be doing.

(do remember: I did say "in an ideal world")

4 minutes ago, sisco said:

2. Of course I agree, requests shouldn’t be made but it’s another one of those things, of well that’s open because it’s exercise, can be done alone, it’s outside.... why isn’t my one too?  Makes no sense

The problem with that argument is it ignores the reason why stuff is closed in the first place. You might as well be saying "supermarkets are open where people have close-ish contact so why shouldn't pubs be".

The reason stuff is closed is nothing to do with what equivalences you might be able to make, but to reduce the possibilities for close contact and so the spread of covid.

Meanwhile, for the equivalence you give, why are you ignoring the equivalence of everyone being able to access the standard exercise rules, but not everyone being able to access a golf club? 

The very reason lockdown is having a more-limited effect this time is because of people trying to find ways to access what they want, rather than putting the reason for lockdown as the highest priority.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i've quite possibly done it - tho not about Glastonbury as far as I can recall - but it doesn't mean it's right to do. It's a very me-me-me thing for anyone to be doing.

(do remember: I did say "in an ideal world")

The problem with that argument is it ignores the reason why stuff is closed in the first place. You might as well be saying "supermarkets are open where people have close-ish contact so why shouldn't pubs be".

The reason stuff is closed is nothing to do with what equivalences you might be able to make, but to reduce the possibilities for close contact and so the spread of covid.

Meanwhile, for the equivalence you give, why are you ignoring the equivalence of everyone being able to access the standard exercise rules, but not everyone being able to access a golf club? 

The very reason lockdown is having a more-limited effect this time is because of people trying to find ways to access what they want, rather than putting the reason for lockdown as the highest priority.

Well people can’t access the Normal exercise routines can they?  Can go to a local part and run/walk but after that I didn’t think their was much else.  (Also don’t think playgrounds being open is sensible but hey ho)

Like I say, it’s nothing about people being able to fish, it’s about the contradiction in the rules.... again!! I’m just glad so many have lakes at the bottom of their gardens so they don’t have to travel anyway.