When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I've lost track of what the university policy is at the moment-- are they still pretending that they're going to re-open in a couple of weeks or have they said its distance learning for this term? 

Mrs stdan just got sent home from work in her hospital with a faint positive line on her lateral flow test - she’s since done a proper one so will find results tomorrow, but would suggest it’s looking likely. Both of us completely asymptomatic at this stage - fingers crossed it was a dud test. 

45 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I've lost track of what the university policy is at the moment-- are they still pretending that they're going to re-open in a couple of weeks or have they said its distance learning for this term? 

I thought it was online learning until mid Feb other than for a few key practical courses (Vets, medicine etc)

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I get that, but having to have some capacity to hold people for 15 mins makes quite a difference to the setup you need.  My local chemist with 3 seats in it couldn't inject people as fast as for the flu jab.  Those three (or even 4 or 5 if they ignored social distancing) would fill up pretty quickly.

It's a good argument for using mass vaccination centres then I guess. Aston Gate stadium (my 'local') can hold a fair few.

47 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

The university where I work is saying that for now it's in person teaching for clinical courses only, and everyone else should remain at home until guidance changes.

What their justification for keeping the library open (not to just collect books, but to sit in, and with no checks on where the visitors are coming from/what course) is, I can't quite fathom.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Quite, there are also elements that need to keep going as society will completely grind to a halt. Things like moving house need to happen, whether that’s buying or renting, then you have everything associated with doing that that needs to be able to happen as well. That’s just one party of society but there are many others. Remember the first lockdown when people were having teeth pulled out because they couldn’t see a dentist. So many things we take for granted, which can maybe stop once, but they can’t keep stopping indefinitely.

Yep, lost my tooth over that!!  Literally

50 minutes ago, bamber said:

Like my Dad she had the dementia, it is terminal. 

A cruel end.

Always My favourite relative

It's one of the worst conditions,  really heartbreaking and distressing to see someone succumb to it, especially when their one of your favourite people

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

todays numbers .... hoping the cases are at the top of the curve now .... horrible numbers of patients admitted and deaths again 😞 

Screenshot 2021-01-09 at 16.04.18.png

Those numbers are horrible, cases remain so high. I fear for our hospitals even more. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

Those numbers are horrible, cases remain so high. I fear for our hospitals even more. 

absolutely and the grim number  of 80,000 deaths passed today .... lets hope thats the top of the infections ... which will of course lead to some awful numbers further down the track 

47 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

The university where I work is saying that for now it's in person teaching for clinical courses only, and everyone else should remain at home until guidance changes.

What their justification for keeping the library open (not to just collect books, but to sit in, and with no checks on where the visitors are coming from/what course) is, I can't quite fathom.

Thanks!- it would be nice if they explained their logic once in a while. Maybe it's to give students stuck in halls somewhere else inside to go to- I'm presuming they have to sit certain distances apart? Though even then I'm dubious as to the safety for both students and staff

Just now, Ozanne said:

There is no right minded reason for me to reply, such, here.

Yet here it is.

Mr. Bojangles

13 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

My mum (care home worker) has had her first vaccine today. Was called up at 3.15 to go to another local care home and get jabbed at 3.30. A friend’s grandparents were both done locally yesterday... How does it go? It’s HAPPENING!

I know the NHS has got social and agency workers to do the phoning ups regarding cancelling the second jabs and informing them they'll be rescheduled tot he 3 month gap thing, so seems like they've also fathomed out how to free up capacity for GP's etc and maybe speed things up more (a lot of GPs were worried how much time and work it would take to phone all the people already booked for their second jabs to let them know it had been cancelled)- not a very enjoyable job, I imagine!

18 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

todays numbers .... hoping the cases are at the top of the curve now .... horrible numbers of patients admitted and deaths again 😞 

Screenshot 2021-01-09 at 16.04.18.png

Uck, horrific. Must be absolutely hellish for the NHS staff dealing with this. I know we've started offering them counselling support, and other third sector orgs are doing likewise, though I think most staff will somehow power on through and it will be afterwards it hits them and they'll need the support- hope the government provides the necessary funding and resources for that.