When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

On 12/29/2020 at 11:17 AM, rivalschools.price said:

Excuse my ignorance on this as the answer is probably to do with politics and I do my best to keep away from the political squabbling and point scoring but why does everyone say ‘instead of clapping we should do this’ or ‘instead of clapping we should have done that’?

Surely we don’t have to choose one or the other?

We can clap for the workers to show our appreciation for them but still want them to have better working conditions. We can clap for the staff to thank them and still want them to have a pay rise. We can clap for the NHS but still want them to have more funding.

Who decided it must be one or the other? Who decided that anyone who claps doesn’t want things to improve for the NHS?

Looking at the quote today from the person who Instigated the clap in the first place, she seems to agree with my points that it doesn’t have to be political or as a replacement for a pay rise/whatever.

Seems a shame that something she started with good intentions has been hijacked for political reasons.

Does anyone else on here get fatigued by the constant point scoring and squabbling between politicians and supporters of each party? 

Between lasts nights Trump fiasco, the sight of Boris and his cronies and Starmer tediously but predictably going against absolutely everything, I think I need a few weeks without watching the news.

4 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Any target set should be specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time limited.

It hits one of those criteria.

This massive target thing is what they did with tests back in the spring, right? And they kind of fudged it at the end, but they really did ramp up the number of tests they were doing each day and having that tough target maybe helped...at all levels?

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

This massive target thing is what they did with tests back in the spring, right? And they kind of fudged it at the end, but they really did ramp up the number of tests they were doing each day and having that tough target maybe helped...at all levels?

I think spending £22bn on it (more than the whole UK policing budget!!) may have helped to grow the test numbers...

Does a football team do better if at the start of every season they set a target of winning all their games?

My wife’s hospital have had to have a full scale reshuffle of staff across all areas of therapy coming together - essentially a more cross functional approach to deal with the crisis. Basically all nurses, dieticians, physiotherapists and occupational therapists will now be working as one team on each ward, combining skills and delegating accordingly.
She’s worried as she will be dealing with things way out of her comfort zone, but it’s the only realistic way they can deal with it given the number of patients vs number of staff available. 

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:
5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Isn't that what they do?

Does a football team do better if at the start of every season they set a target of winning all their games?

The Government are essentially Sheffield United.

1 hour ago, chuckles07 said:

Yep had mine this morning. Interesting process in Manchester Uni research facility that was staffed by NHS nurses and doctors. I can’t say I feel any different to yesterday -;feel I like I am living in a bit of a fog and undecided what time I can start drinking 😊. Will see what tomorrow brings..... hope you and I got the active one 👍

Yes all the paperwork and advice I got says that it is two shots, second one in 8 weeks or so.  Have the appointment already.  

edit - meant to quote your post about the two shots for J&J vaccine candidate 

Signed up for this after you said you were doing it - Leicester is my nearest centre. I never heard anything back though. I hope it's because they have enough people in my demographic (old, overweight, no underlying health conditions).

Well done to you and everybody else doing these trials.

How did we get COVID vaccines so quickly? Oxford have done a little video to kind of explain it, but this piece delves a bit into the years of research that preceded what happened in January...interesting read!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/12/these-scientists-spent-twelve-years-solving-puzzle-yielded-coronavirus-vaccines/

1 minute ago, Toilet Duck said:

How did we get COVID vaccines so quickly? Oxford have done a little video to kind of explain it, but this piece delves a bit into the years of research that preceded what happened in January...interesting read!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/12/these-scientists-spent-twelve-years-solving-puzzle-yielded-coronavirus-vaccines/

If we had another pandemic in, say 5 years, how fast do you think we could turn around vaccines then?