When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

We have fucked up very badly but we’re two very different islands. 

UK is a major international hub, Australia is far more isolated. 

The climates are vastly different as well as massively different population densities. 

It doesn’t mean the government isn’t to blame though for completely going about this the wrong way but it’s certainly not fair to compare us to Australia. 

I think it is fair to compare on the basis that they took decisive and early action, went into proper, full on lockdowns, no half-measures, properly policed and supported by brilliant testing.

Yes, other differences but this clearly was an effective strategy and strong leadership to go with the unpopular option.

The results are 100,000 dead in UK by next week...and rising.

Australia under 1,000.

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I think it is fair to compare on the basis that they took decisive and early action, went into proper, full on lockdowns, no half-measures, properly policed and supported by brilliant testing.

Yes, other differences but this clearly was an effective strategy and strong leadership to go with the unpopular option.

The results are 100,000 dead in UK by next week...and rising.

Australia under 1,000.

A better country for comparison would be Japan. Similar climate, both with dense population centres and a large dependence on public transport. 

You would definitely see what difference having a compliant population and effective virus control can do. Although they do have more experience in pandemics. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

A better country for comparison would be Japan. Similar climate, both with dense population centres and a large dependence on public transport. 

You would definitely see what difference having a compliant population and effective virus control can do. Although they do have more experience in pandemics. 

Japanese society so different, they're like really nice to each other. Maybe we should really compare ourselves to France...very similar, apart from the island thing.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Japanese society so different, they're like really nice to each other. Maybe we should really compare ourselves to France...very similar, apart from the island thing.

Maybe we just need to be nicer to each other. Or spend more time indoors looking at Hentai

10 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Sort of though a higher number of Australians live in urban areas than the UK, albeit obviously can be bigger distances between them. 

And Japan a bit of an outlier in that the population is so damn respectful of authority and rules, as you say. If the government announced everyone to wear their trousers back to front, they no doubt would.

Edited by xxialac

I don’t get the population density thing. If you’re in the middle of Sydney city centre - it’s no less dense than being a UK city. If you’re living in Australian student halls, you don’t suddenly get a palace to yourself. Australia has 909 deaths total, we’ve had 1,041 in 24 hours. That isn’t down to how much bushland Australia has. That’s down to Australia’s public services, governance and population compliance. 

46 minutes ago, northernringo said:

What was the highest number of daily deaths recorded in the first wave?

By actual date of death rather than date reported.....April 8th - 1,072

28 minutes ago, xxialac said:

A tale of two island masses:

Australia deaths in 300 days - 909

UK deaths in 1 day - 1041 

1041 is deaths registered today.  Highest daily deaths by date of death has not yet exceeded 600 since 28th April.

Thankfully we have some way to go to match the appalling 1,072 deaths actually occurring on April 8th.  

Just now, parsonjack said:

1041 is deaths registered today.  Highest daily deaths by date of death has not yet exceeded 600 since 28th April.

Thankfully we have some way to go to match the appalling 1,072 deaths actually occurring on April 8th.  

This ^ crazy that in the first wave date of registration saved them from announcing 1000+ in a day, despite date of death being so. This time the opposite; registration is above 1,000 but not date of death. This will be down to the holiday period and registrations being more concentrated to these first working days. 

40 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Christmas was always going to have an impact, because people were always going to ignore the rules and mix. If you think the one day of mixing on Christmas day that most people couldn't even do is the driver behind this then I don't agree.

The mistake was the point you made before: giving people hope, rather than prepping them for something different well in advance. I don't think the numbers today would be much different if mixing hadn't been allowed in some areas in some circumstances on Xmas day.

Well yes that was also a big mistake, he should’ve made it clear to the nation months before we wouldn’t be allowed to mix households at Christmas. But Johnson couldn’t possibly give out that message and show leadership.

Just now, mikegday said:

I don’t get the population density thing. If you’re in the middle of Sydney city centre - it’s no less dense than being a UK city. If you’re living in Australian student halls, you don’t suddenly get a palace to yourself. Australia has 909 deaths total, we’ve had 1,041 in 24 hours. That isn’t down to how much bushland Australia has. That’s down to Australia’s public services, governance and population compliance. 

That's true in itself, but it does ignore certain aspects - specifically that it means cities tend to be a bit more spread out and so there's less necessity for people to travel between them on a daily basis.

For example in the UK it's perfectly plausible that someone lives in Milton Keynes and works in London, while their partner or flat mate works in Birmingham. Likewise some poor sod could live in Stoke and work in any of Birmingham, Manchester, or Liverpool. I don't think that applies with Australia to anywhere near the same degree - they can almost treat the Melbourne area as a different country to the Sydney area.

Just now, incident said:

I don't think that applies with Australia to anywhere near the same degree - they can almost treat the Melbourne area as a different country to the Sydney area.

This is true. Australia is so vast, cities are hours on the plane apart.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean, what the fuck is Andrea Leadsom?

Responding to allegations she had grossly exaggerated her experience working in finance, Leadsom said she was “running enormous teams, small teams,” running a start up business and being part of a huge bank. But Reuters spoke to five former Invesco colleagues, including four in senior management positions, who said Leadsom did not have a prominent role or manage client money.

Fellow Leave campaigner and former London Mayor Boris Johnson, who is backing Leadsom after deciding not to run himself as the party’s leader, said she has a “better understanding of finance than almost anyone in parliament”.

Well if Johnson endorsed her, it must be true...

3 minutes ago, incident said:

That's true in itself, but it does ignore certain aspects - specifically that it means cities tend to be a bit more spread out and so there's less necessity for people to travel between them on a daily basis.

For example in the UK it's perfectly plausible that someone lives in Milton Keynes and works in London, while their partner or flat mate works in Birmingham. Likewise some poor sod could live in Stoke and work in any of Birmingham, Manchester, or Liverpool. I don't think that applies with Australia to anywhere near the same degree - they can almost treat the Melbourne area as a different country to the Sydney area.

And the UK is inextricably linked to Europe (yes I know but it is) with thousands of people passing each way every day. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Not correct.  He's again quoting deaths by date registered. There are 27 days with higher death figures between 31st March and 26th April than the highest daily deaths by date of death since then at 600 on 28th December....although that figure is likely to rise as further deaths on that day are registered.

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

Not correct.  He's again quoting deaths by date registered. There are 27 days with higher death figures between 31st March and 26th April than the highest daily deaths by date of death since then at 600 on 28th December....although that figure is likely to rise as further deaths on that day are registered.

I know I'm guilty of that. But absent of so much data, it still serves as a proxy of the severity of things.