When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Those numbers are bad but we expected them to be bad. It probably won’t peak either for another week or so. However after every peak there’s a fall and then it’s downhill all the way!

I’m afraid the peak deaths will still be in another 3-4 weeks. Hospitalisations are still rising, over 30k in hospital now. Unfortunately vaccines don’t help people who have already been admitted to hospital.

Edited by FestivalJamie

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

Those numbers are bad but we expected them to be bad. It probably won’t peak either for another week or so. However after every peak there’s a fall and then it’s downhill all the way!

True but the higher the peak, the longer it takes to take to return to normality. 

Without the vaccine we'd have been looking at over 6 months of lockdown to get back to last Summer's figures.

Thank god for scientists and vaccines.

There were 11 England mass vaccination centres listed and announced in November.

They have now designated only seven.

Robertson House, Stevenage

Excel Centre, London

Centre for Life, Newcastle

Etihad Tennis Centre, Manchester

Epsom Race Course, Surrey

Ashton Gate Stadium, Bristol

Millennium Point, Birmingham

They appear to have dropped:

St Helens, Totally Wicked Stadium

Derby Arena

Leicester Racecourse

Exeter, Sandy Park rugby stadium

Any guesses why?

I can only think that because they are still appealing for staff to work at the 7 that they are struggling to staff and organise them and that then a decision has been made to concentrate efforts over fewer bases.

20 hours ago, eFestivals said:

85 years old.

Admitted to hospital with non-covid a week ago.

No vaccination offered.

Tested 3 times since admission.

Positive test today.

Currently asymptomatic.

20% of deaths are from hospital acquired covid.

Fingers firmly crossed.😞

Sorry to hear this. Very similar to my mother (see my post in the How Do You Feel? thread). And now they want to send her home and she's in a worse condition than she was when she went in. Go figure? If she ends up needing long term care...? Well I've been joking that we're facing what is arguably a 95% Inheritence Tax before anybody's even died 😉 😭.

36 minutes ago, incident said:

So I don't think this has been mentioned (though I only skimmed through the last few pages to catch up).

The Public Assessment Report for the Oxford/AZ vaccine has been published today. Is anyone (most likely meaning @Toilet Duck) able to identify if there's any new data of significance in there? I scanned through but all that data makes my eyes glaze over..

There's tons of stuff in there! Much of it has already been described, but there's really detailed preclinical data describing how they got to their trials in humans in the first place (and signs in there about how the vaccine might perform in terms of reducing viral loads). There's also some good details on what AZ have to do (which is much closer to the EU CMA than some emergency authorisations, they are jointly responsible for much of the deployment of the vaccine). It also allows for the extended gap between doses. Probably the most interesting thing is that the LD:SD regimen that had the 90%+ efficacy had the longer gap. When they looked a bit deeper at the immune response in participants that received SD:SD, they saw that the response was better with the longer gap (this bit was included in previous data supporting the authorisation). Putting two and two together, rather than vector-targeted immune destruction accounting for the decreased efficacy of the SD:SD regimen, they conclude from this that it is the interval between doses that improves efficacy rather than the starting dose (so LD:SD was better because the gap was longer, not because of the half dose...this information wasn't released before so we all speculated as to what might be behind it!). This explains why the SD:SD regimen has been approved and why the gap between doses has been pushed out to 12 weeks. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Copperface said:

There were 11 England mass vaccination centres listed and announced in November.

Excel Centre, London

Derby Arena

Leicester Racecourse

Any guesses why?

I can only think that because they are still appealing for staff to work at the 7 that they are struggling to staff and organise them and that then a decision has been made to concentrate efforts over fewer bases.

This is indeed a guess, but I think, though am not certain, that it might be as simple as the word "mass" and that those sites are still being used but have been defined lower for whatever reason.

There's at least one more newly created dedicated vaccination centre / hub that I'm aware of, in the old Central/Carlton TV studios in Nottingham now occupied by UoN. I don't think that location has been officially publicly announced yet but given the conversion work is now just about complete and the first appointments are scheduled for Monday it shouldn't be a problem to say it.

40 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Interested in @Toilet Ducktake on it when he has a chance!

I remember reading the preprint (we discussed it on it here as it happens...Shane Crotty's group have done some of the best immunology on SARS-CoV-2 so far). Interest in pre-prints has spiked massively during this pandemic as we want to find out the latest data asap. As previously noted, normally much of this early data is communicated at conferences and the pre-prints get very little attention as they aren't peer reviewed yet (at a conference, experts on the floor will grill you if you try to draw unfounded conclusions from what you have shown). However, just because it's a pre-print doesn't change good science from bad science (you just need experts who would be qualified to peer review them to comment on them...in fact, the open discussion that can accompany them is a useful form of community review and some journals actually leave papers up for discussion after the peer review process). Many bad pre-prints have been picked up by some with agendas to overhype certain things, others are simply misunderstood by non-experts and used to support whatever position they themselves believe. But, good papers that appear as pre-prints will end up in reputable journals after peer review. So, when we discussed this one a month or two ago, I think I commented that it was the most comprehensive evaluation of the duration and nature of immunity after infection to date and showed quite clearly that we have an enduring immune response after exposure (antibody levels wane, even T-cells wane but the memory B cells that will crank back up antibody production upon re-exposure were stable across the board (in fact they increased at later times compared to within a month of infection)). Good to see it in press!

Edited by Toilet Duck
typos!

And still right now/today there is nothing to stop someone from flying for a holiday from South Africa via transit into the UK.

Checks will be minimal, if any. The airport arrivals process will feel the same as it did pre-Covid.

No tests required, 3% chance of being followed up with a phone call to ask if you are quarantining.

Edited by xxialac

14 minutes ago, xxialac said:

If it goes up at the same rate we'll be at almost 100,000 within two weeks.

Doubt it will quite get to that level but there's much more pain to come and the government has completely failed us all.

I think we can now safely say that allowing the Christmas relaxation was a massive mistake. Johnson and his government will have to answer for that eventually, that mistake was solely of their making due to massive levels of incompetence and a chasm of leadership. 

Edited by Ozanne

10 minutes ago, incident said:

This is indeed a guess, but I think, though am not certain, that it might be as simple as the word "mass" and that those sites are still being used but have been defined lower for whatever reason.

There's at least one more newly created dedicated vaccination centre / hub that I'm aware of, in the old Central/Carlton TV studios in Nottingham now occupied by UoN. I don't think that location has been officially publicly announced yet but given the conversion work is now just about complete and the first appointments are scheduled for Monday it shouldn't be a problem to say it.

Yeah, that would come under the Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust hub so they have a few sites within their hub.

I know we have had some back and forth about prospective numbers and people expecting to do 110,000 per week at Ashton Gate etc

However the Etihad Tennis Centre is predicting being able to do 'up to' 1000 per day, which surprised me.

I had been looking at about 5000 per day through these hubs. Admittedly numbers may be different at the various sites, but they won't differ that much. But 1000 per day means we won't be rushing through all those who need doing, whether that's one dose or two.

Edited by Copperface

14 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Excel Centre, London

Derby Arena

Leicester Racecourse

Any guesses why?

None in the East Mids or Yorkshire, but three in the southeast? I'd like to think there is a good reason for this but there probably isn't. 

Johnson is a big fan of Greek studies and he even has a Greek first name.

Well this is your classic Greek tragedy where the whole of the audience can see the disastrous fate of the protagonist ahead as he arrogantly charges towards it...but his hubris is just too great.

Dunno what the modern equivalent would be. A joyrider in a slow motion car crash maybe. 

Just now, Copperface said:

Yeah, that would come under the Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust hub so they have a few sites within their hub.

I know we have had some back and forth about prospective numbers and people expecting to do 110,000 per week at Ashton Gate etc

However the Etihad Tennis Centre is predicting being able to do 'up to' 1000 per day, which surprised me.

I had been looking at about 5000 per day through these hubs. Admittedly numbers may be different a the various sites, but they won't differ that much. But 1000 per day means we won't be rushing through all those who need doing, whether that's one dose orr two.

Technically this one is being operated by NHT rather than NUH. Haven't seen a number quoted for the site but from what they've put in place so far, somewhere between 500 and 1,000 per day would sound about right in the short term and so it wouldn't come under the "mass" designation.

3 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I was thinking compliance would be way down from last year. From talking to some buddies of mine it seems like most aren’t planning to clap. 

I will be clapping - and it will be heartfelt - the NHS almost certainly saved my life 3 months ago.

Just 'cos some w*nker politicians clap & then refuse to give pay rises, doesn't mean everyone who claps agree with that decision.