When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

flippin'ec. How can they be so callous.

Insane, isn’t it. 

The plan mentioned (which still, shockingly, hasn’t been finalised) is that all staff will have to be on the rota to supervise the kids in school at some point each week, which wasn’t the case last year during lockdown as there were staff who either had to shield themselves or lived with someone who was shielding. I don’t see any reason why all staff should have to come in this time. I (and others in my position) will still be planning and delivering lessons every day from home, we aren’t sat about like lemons. 

We have a sister school a few miles down the road and they had their rota finished this morning, given out to staff and told that only the people on the rota need to come in for the duration. Why on Earth is it taking my superiors so long? 

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Insane, isn’t it. 

The plan mentioned (which still, shockingly, hasn’t been finalised) is that all staff will have to be on the rota to supervise the kids in school at some point each week, which wasn’t the case last year during lockdown as there were staff who either had to shield themselves or lived with someone who was shielding. I don’t see any reason why all staff should have to come in this time. I (and others in my position) will still be planning and delivering lessons every day from home, we aren’t sat about like lemons. 

We have a sister school a few miles down the road and they had their rota finished this morning, given out to staff and told that only the people on the rota need to come in for the duration. Why on Earth is it taking my superiors so long? 

Have you contacted your Union rep?

Passengers banned from boarding flights to UK without negative Covid test: Travellers will need test negative within 72 hours of departure – the move follows criticism of the Government's failure to close borders

Airlines flying into the UK will be required to bar passengers from boarding if they do not have a negative Covid test within 72 hours of departure. Every traveller coming into any UK port or airport will be expected to have a negative PCR test to enter the UK as part of a significant toughening of border controls.

It will cover all countries including those with travel corridors under which travellers are currently exempted from quarantine on arrival in the UK. Although the policy has yet to be finalised, it is expected travellers coming from "red list" countries with high rates of Covid will still have to quarantine on arrival even if their 72-hour test is negative. Those required to self-isolate will be able to leave quarantine if a second test which can be taken from the fifth day proves negative.

Horse/Door/Bolted (almost a year ago)...

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Passengers banned from boarding flights to UK without negative Covid test: Travellers will need test negative within 72 hours of departure – the move follows criticism of the Government's failure to close borders

Airlines flying into the UK will be required to bar passengers from boarding if they do not have a negative Covid test within 72 hours of departure. Every traveller coming into any UK port or airport will be expected to have a negative PCR test to enter the UK as part of a significant toughening of border controls.

It will cover all countries including those with travel corridors under which travellers are currently exempted from quarantine on arrival in the UK. Although the policy has yet to be finalised, it is expected travellers coming from "red list" countries with high rates of Covid will still have to quarantine on arrival even if their 72-hour test is negative. Those required to self-isolate will be able to leave quarantine if a second test which can be taken from the fifth day proves negative.

they should stop people leaving unless they have a negative test result too, right?

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

they should stop people leaving unless they have a negative test result too, right?

Right.

But they won't.

It also looks as though they (unlike every other country) are shifting the responsibility to check the PCR forms onto the airlines, not doing it themselves.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Cummings.

Sunak seemed to bring in the scientists who thought we'd achieved herd immunity back in summer and kept persuading Johnson against locking down again, yet somehow he's  done this without being held to account. Cummings seems to now insist he wanted a lockdown months ago

33 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Positive news. I hope the rolling total etc next week should get people’s spirits up a tiny bit. Everyone was feeling it at my work (remote) today.

I wonder why they’re not revealing the new site locations?

Until they are open there is no real benefit to people knowing where they are other than curiosity. 

Equally wherever they are they will not be on everyone's doorstep so why let that angst surface. 

The local authorities might not know yet etc.  Perhaps the just don't people to start hanging around them yet.

Equally if they are in branded venues there might still be conversations going on about so the government and media outlets don't have to keep saying the O2 Academy Sheffield for example. It could literally be any number of practical or political reasons. 

I wouldn't read too much into it the mass vaccination sites arent going to be convenient for everyone. 

23 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Fuck me, I mean better late than never....

35 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

In terms of covid are we currently worst in the world?

Yes, we have achieved the worst of both worlds-- huge economic hit, and now what will likely end up being huge death rates. While Vietnam and South Korea were closing borders and schools after just a few infections, we decided to run 'eat out to help out' and a 5 day Christmas jamboree. 

As an added bonus, we've managed to birth and spread a worse varient that will likely leave us as global pariah's for a long time. 

Edited by Mr.Tease

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yes, we have achieved the worst of both worlds-- huge economic hit, and now what will likely end up being huge death rates. While Vietnam and South Korea were closing boarders and schools after just a few infections, we decided to run 'eat out to help out' and a 5 day Christmas jamboree. 

As an added bonus, we've managed to birth and spread a worse varient that will likely leave us as global pariah's for a long time. 

I was saying the same thing a few days but was told ‘no country can get this right’ which lets the government off the hook. However as you say we have the worst of both worlds with a government that refuses to learn from their mistakes and acts too late every single time. It’s happened again now and with Christmas added on top I shudder to think of the damage they’ve inflicted upon the country. 

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If govt screw up this vaccine roll out and we end up with a longer than expected lockdown then surely that will be the end for Johnson.

I will cut them a tiny bit of slack on this one, the vaccines don't magically appear in peoples body's. It takes a huge amount of moving parts to keep this moving. I've maintained the rollout will take 12 months - but will start to see positive impact by May/June.

What I will drag them over the coals for is the decision to space the vaccine doses out, differently to what has been tested by manufacturers. If that proves to be a bad decision, then heads need to roll.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I was saying the same thing a few days but was told ‘no country can get this right’ which lets the government off the hook. However as you say we have the worst of both worlds with a government that refuses to learn from their mistakes and acts too late every single time. It’s happened again now and with Christmas added on top I shudder to think of the damage they’ve inflicted upon the country. 

Yep, the one area they got things right was vaccine procurement, but looks like they've stuffed that up by letting the virus get so out of control, they've had to gamble with the delayed dosage and even then will struggle to vaccinate before this new wave overwhelms everything. 

1 minute ago, MrBarry465 said:

I will cut them a tiny bit of slack on this one, the vaccines don't magically appear in peoples body's. It takes a huge amount of moving parts to keep this moving. I've maintained the rollout will take 12 months - but will start to see positive impact by May/June.

What I will drag them over the coals for is the decision to space the vaccine doses out, differently to what has been tested by manufacturers. If that proves to be a bad decision, then heads need to roll.

But why do they deserve 'slack' when they (without being forced to) are time and again committing to unrealistic timeframes.

They've said 14 million people in 7 weeks.

Overpromise, underdeliver...

3 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Those timescales if true would be disgraceful. What do you mean by "see positive impact"?

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

But why do they deserve 'slack' when they (without being forced to) are time and again committing to unrealistic timeframes.

They've said 14 million people in 7 weeks.

Overpromise, underdeliver...

True, some of the overpromising and soundbights has been cringe. They just need to start the rollout proper and update as time goes on.

It's likely to give people hope I guess.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Those timescales if true would be disgraceful. What do you mean by "see positive impact"?

Hospital rates and deaths coming down in a meaningul way. 

And vaccinating most of the population within a 12 month period, would not be disgradecul at all. It would be pretty remarkable really. See how far the US/France get in 12 months.

Edited by MrBarry465