When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

perhaps a little further, but not much.

What do you think all of those 70s strikes were about, if it wasn't "more for me"?

Thatcher tapped into what was already there, that's all.

It was "more for us" technically. Why do you think it worked then? Is it a one-way street or could we actually move to a more Japan-like culture, given the right messaging?

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just to add that I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to go the shop when you want (before I inevitably get jumped on!). But with supermarkets being an obvious place where people come together I still think it's worth minimising your trips as much as possible.

I know we're in the minority with this now though!

I felt that way about supermarkets before lockdown! I was thinking though, one big thinking approach would be to restrict Amazon to selling essential goods and re-purpose all pickers and delivery drivers to supermarkets, encourage everyone to use delivery instead. Hell, if you have a loyalty card your supermarket could probably send you your weekly shop without you even needing to tell it what you want!

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Not saying anyone in this thread but this has reminded me of something -  I've had to say this many times the past few days on whatsapp etc - people hear the word "vaccine" and think it means that. As it does with other vaccines they've known. 

But it's not a vaccine in the way we know the word to mean - and I still seriously question how it will be used to get us out of lockdown/self isolation etc within at least the next year. 

Well there are promising signs that it reduces transmission but it's not known for sure yet if it does. So it may behave more like the vaccines we're used to. I think it's being done on purpose though. They need people to feel comfortable going out after they've had it.

41 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

what are peoples perceptions on how this lockdown is compared with other restrictions we have had previously ....? it sees like it is quieter than tier 4 ..... but nothing like as quiet as the National lockdown in March .... hopefully Boris has some very strong words in tonights press conference  and people take notice .... a few police pull overs of essential journeys would definately help too ..... from a perception point of view ... its amazing how word of mouth and social media talk get a message out ......

Seems loads quieter today in this part of the Lakes than it was in Tier 4 yesterday, even though nothing has really changed.

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

a near vertical line for patients admitted...on the 28th. I hate to think what numbers have happened since then

The shocking thing about these numbers is that the true numbers will be much, much worse and these are showing better than the reality because of holiday lag.

3 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

The only way the EU overtakes the UK in terms of vaccination is when the high risk population is vaccinated in the UK. EUA allows for the vaccine to be administered in an emergency situation, and technically, if what we all hope the vaccines will do actually happens (morbidity and mortality nose dive when over 50s are done), then it's no longer an emergency and the vaccine needs full approval before it can be used in the wider population (this is a bit of a grey area as what constitutes an emergency becomes the question, it's a risk vs reward debate).

I didn't know this, and thought it worth flagging up as it's actually pretty concerning and puts huge questions marks over the "everyone vaccinated by September-ish" idea we've been kicking about here.

36 minutes ago, zahidf said:

One rule for us...

That is certainly true and it has a knock on effect which is why I will shout abut how inept this government are no matter who complains. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/02/follow-covid-restrictions-break-rules-compliance?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR2v3aRh0IuJ9pBpibLsKZv90J2emveGsaxnE8_y98LfIDiM-q8SDJrBSdM 

This certainly rings true looking at my local area. The posher areas seem to be worst affected. 

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I didn't know this, and thought it worth flagging up as it's actually pretty concerning and puts huge questions marks over the "everyone vaccinated by September-ish" idea we've been kicking about here.

I really don't think you need to vaccinate everybody. Once it's 50s down I dare say they will just offer it if you want it.

Considering the vaccine is not a vaccine in the conventional sense this seems much safer than opening it open to everyone.

What annoying is we could have been using all the time in the summer for the fit and healthy to mix as normal to raise community immunity, whilst protecting vunerable and elderly and essentially sperating the two groups. In this was a vaccine would not really be needed.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, 5co77ie said:

All staff being told to come in AGAIN tomorrow. This is absolutely unforgivable negligence. 

We had no word on anything at all until 3:30pm and then it was just an email to say that all staff are expected in once again tomorrow because they haven’t finalised a rota to supervise the key worker/vulnerable children. How has a rota to oversee a maximum of 60 children not been finalised in two days!? It’s unbelievable. 

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

So turns out relaxing the rules arbitrarily for Christmas was a bad idea and means we will be in lockdown for much longer.

Who knew?

Yeah I know, it’s very frustrating that the government didn’t see (or care) that this would happen. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah I know, it’s very frustrating that the government didn’t see (or care) that this would happen. 

This is the really annoying thing. We’re not experts in this field and we all could see this coming a mile off. I find it very hard to believe that the government didn’t know this would happen.

They knew the likely consequences of allowing a lot of social mixing on the run up to and during Christmas. Instead of putting a hold on it they valued £££ over lives again. It’s criminal negligence on a national scale. 

10 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It really is a bit of a grey area as we've never had to do this with a vaccine on this scale before! With drugs, it's different and only people that are sick have to take them (unless they are being used prophylactically, in which case, it's closer to how vaccines are used), but for vaccines, most people that get them are healthy. EUA is unlicensed use of a vaccine in an emergency situation, but the EMA's CMA route is full market authorisation with a time span for submitting the supporting data to convert it from a yearly authorisation to a 5 yearly one. Under a CMA, the company has to do all the normal post-use surveillance that they would do for an approved product (and they themselves are on the hook if something goes wrong, whereas under an EUA, they get a waiver and the government is on the hook). That makes the decision to vaccinate low risk individuals with an unlicensed vaccine one that needs serious consideration (though exactly the same vaccine will be used for these people in other jurisdictions, which offers some comfort). The phase 3 trials from both Pfizer and Oxford are due to be completed by June though, so it's possible they submit their full market approval application when that is done and by the time low risk individuals are due to be vaccinated, it will actually be licensed vaccines that are used rather than those being administered under emergency use authorisation. EUA Vs CMA is basically another balancing decision that needed to be made (EUA is quicker and gets vaccinations happening sooner and while supplies are limited, this might be a good idea). On the surface, they look similar, but there are subtle differences in the processes, the responsibilities that go along with each and the liability that accompanies something going wrong. 

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

This is the really annoying thing. We’re not experts in this field and we all could see this coming a mile off. I find it very hard to believe that the government didn’t know this would happen.

They knew the likely consequences of allowing a lot of social mixing on the run up to and during Christmas. Instead of putting a hold on it they valued £££ over lives again. It’s criminal negligence on a national scale. 

It’s exactly that. Johnson hasn’t sacked his medical advisors which indicates he trusts their advice. That shows he knows exactly what he’s doing here. 

18 minutes ago, chestwig said:

What annoying is we could have been using all the time in the summer for the fit and healthy to mix as normal to raise community immunity, whilst protecting vunerable and elderly and essentially sperating the two groups. In this was a vaccine would not really be needed.

Sorry this is a terrible strategy.

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

he really didn't want to go back on his christmas promise...even though they knew about this new variant, and could see what was happening in London and SE...and then it was all too late. Policy seems to be just about stopping NHS being overwhelmed, not about minimising illness and death, and looks like they have even screwed that up. In his defense Johnson is slightly hamstrung by his dumbarse libertarian backbenchers, but they are very quiet now.