When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Losing my hair said:

Is this because of his serial incompetence or because they are anti-lockdown? 

serial incompetence.

They're new MPs too, so in-theory politically wedded to Spaffer.

It's likely there's more than just those two who've sent in letters, but likely to be a long way off from being meaningful.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just to add that I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to go the shop when you want (before I inevitably get jumped on!). But with supermarkets being an obvious place where people come together I still think it's worth minimising your trips as much as possible.

I know we're in the minority with this now though!

I only go as rarely as possible and in the evenings when it's much quieter

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

If you are able to get to the shops yourself then you should. This will free up delivery slots for those who can’t get to the shops themselves. Just minimise the trips you make and try to avoid peak times. 

Pretty much spot on. Minimise the risk etc. 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

serial incompetence.

They're new MPs too, so in-theory politically wedded to Spaffer.

It's likely there's more than just those two who've sent in letters, but likely to be a long way off from being meaningful.

As per Tory rules they need 15% of MP to submit letters of no confidence which would be 55, so a way off at the moment but still important. 

Edited by Ozanne

1 minute ago, Losing my hair said:

I only go as rarely as possible and in the evenings when it's much quieter

Interesting - evenings are busiest round here so we tend to go lunch time/afternoon if we can. Which would be another issue with a curfew actually, in that it would limit shopping hours (although that does seem off the table now anyway).

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

If you are able to get to the shops yourself then you should. This will free up delivery slots for those who can’t get to the shops themselves. Just minimise the trips you make and try to avoid peak times. 

I agree. We've always gone ourselves since this started, although we do get a few bulky things off Amazon due to lack of car. But have left the supermarket delivery slots for those who need them more.

36 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think that was actually me that asked the question, I was told no! 

I would only go to the garage down the road to get a snack, but always made sure i'd get essentials to cover it. So I'd really be craving a choccy bar and come back with loo roll cat food, soap etc aswell

15 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Younger people are the biggest vectors so inoculating older people may do less to drive down the R than is hoped for.

If other countries start soon with a higher vaccination rate, I can see them overtaking us and driving down the R more quickly (and from a lower base).

A high R also risks more mutations.

If the question is should we vaccinate other professions over old people, i agree!

I dont really see anything from the other countries in Europe which would indicate they can overtake us. We've got more doses of oxford line up for one, they haven't even started looking at authorising it. They don't have more Pfizer doses than us and they can't get moderna until the spring.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I do actually think popping to the corner shop is a bit different as you don't come into contact with so many people. I rarely go to ours but on the times I have it would often just be me in there, maybe one other, as opposed to all the people you come into contact with in a bigger shop.

And they're usually better ventilated.

24 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I also don’t know how comfortable I am when people say or imply this version of life isn’t worth living. It might be tough right now but live is always worth living, you might need to look deeper to find those things that make it fulfilling but it is definitely worth living even in lockdown. 

Agreed. I just listened to Oliver Stone on the Louis Theroux podcast, talking about being in the Vietnam War and the battles he was in. It did make me think that things really aren't that bad!

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Agreed. I just listened to Oliver Stone on the Louis Theroux podcast, talking about being in the Vietnam War and the battles he was in. It did make me think that things really aren't that bad!

Definitely. Or even if you compare it to other countries round the world too especially some African countries.

Thats not to belittle anyone’s struggles here as it is all relative.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's one of those where they keep telling the press it's the final season, but then decide to do another one and it just drags on and on, like The Walking Dead.

I still watch TWD for my sins, I’m in too deep with it to stop. 

17 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I dont really see anything from the other countries in Europe which would indicate they can overtake us. We've got more doses of oxford line up for one, they haven't even started looking at authorising it. They don't have more Pfizer doses than us and they can't get moderna until the spring.

EMA are looking to approve and start rolling out Moderna from 6th January. A lot of EU countries have already received their first delivery. There’s also J&J, which could potentially be a one dose vaccination which the EU and USA have placed significant bets on.

In terms of rollout speed, germany is moving slow at the moment but have sufficient supplies to speed up (but as we know Pfizer is logistically challenging) but if EU can approve AZ by Feb it could speed things up a lot. Denmark are moving really quick and I expect them to overtake the UK. Outside of the EU, I also know Iceland are moving at faster speeds and have larger proportion of their (albeit small) population vaccinated.

4 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

EMA are looking to approve and start rolling out Moderna from 6th January. A lot of EU countries have already received their first delivery. There’s also J&J, which could potentially be a one dose vaccination which the EU and USA have placed significant bets on.

In terms of rollout speed, germany is moving slow at the moment but have sufficient supplies to speed up (but as we know Pfizer is logistically challenging) but if EU can approve AZ by Feb it could speed things up a lot. Denmark are moving really quick and I expect them to overtake the UK. Outside of the EU, I also know Iceland are moving at faster speeds and have larger proportion of their (albeit small) population vaccinated.

Moderna are exclusively locked into US aren't they? We have J and J as well, but that probably won't be ready until mid Feb for getting to the regulators.

I'm hoping they do get it right ASAP. I just think they won't be going past us any time soon

Edited by zahidf