When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, waltere said:

I may not agree with Rory Stewart on everything, but he's at least a recognisably sane and fairly intelligent human being. Unfortunately in the modern Tory party that makes him an absolute non starter.

He is amazing. Eton educated secret agent type who smoked opium with Afghan tribe leaders. What's not to like?! Plus, he was saying that maybe MPs should vote for May's deal as that was good as it was going to get, and was saying back at start of March that we need to lockdown then because it was rapidly getting worse in other parts of europe.

5 minutes ago, Lycra said:

For what it's worth, Sturgeon now saying over 50s & vulnerable in Scotland will be vaccinated by early May.

That’s what my Covid vaccine brochure said. They are also looking to prioritise all teachers and school support staff. I reckon the army should be utilised to provide logistical support. Second to none when it comes to organisation and cutting through red tape. 

11 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Out of upvotes for today but that last bit made me genuinely giggle. Excellent form. 

Yeah, fairplay to him, it was a good gag.

Another one of my mates actually met Keith and told me he's a right twat. I said to him, how do you mean? He looked at me and replied 'put it this way, he's got a personalised number plate'. 

(Apologies to any Keiths reading this; my middle name is actually Homer so I'm on no position to judge!)

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

He is amazing. Eton educated secret agent type who smoked opium with Afghan tribe leaders. What's not to like?! Plus, he was saying that maybe MPs should vote for May's deal as that was good as it was going to get, and was saying back at start of March that we need to lockdown then because it was rapidly getting worse in other parts of europe.

Yeah he's a fascinating bloke, speaks very well and thoughtfully on a bunch of issues (I've seen him do a talk about Afghanistan and his experiences there - incredible). He was absolutely the best possible outcome from the conservatives as far as I'm concerned. Still a Tory though, so there's some things I disagree on by default.

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

Yeah, fairplay to him, it was a good gag.

Another one of my mates actually met Keith and told me he's a right twat. I said to him, how do you mean? He looked at me and replied 'put it this way, he's got a personalised number plate'. 

(Apologies to any Keiths reading this; my middle name is actually Homer so I'm on no position to judge!)

We enjoyed that story on the VM 🙂 

58 minutes ago, zahidf said:

😮

It's slightly skewed by the fact that asymptomatic contacts are now being asked not to present for testing, but to just restrict movements for 14 days and assume they are positive, so only symptomatic contacts being tested at the moment, but some testing centres are reporting a 50% positivity rate...plus we are doing more tests than we were 2 weeks ago!). What's even worse is that 3-4 weeks ago, we were at 2% positivity (at which point restrictions were loosened and hey presto). The speed that it spiralled out of control this time is truly frightening (and only 10% of cases are due to the UK variant, the other 90% at the moment are old school SARS-CoV-2, that may change as they analyse more data, but so far that's the picture). We are about to report about 6000+ cases today (per capita, that would be like the UK reporting >72,000) and 7000+ cases expected in the next day or two (>84,000 by UK comparison)...some of these were actually identified over the last week as with so many positive cases there's a delay between testing and tallying with existing cases to that they aren't reported twice, but it's still staggering. Everything is theoretically closed since December 30th (though I still see a lot of traffic on the road, nothing like back in April), so we'll have to see what impact it has over the next week to ten days. 

At 8pm these will be the main messages on the new Lockdown, set against almost 60,000 cases and hospitals on their knees (taken from elsewhere).

- We are world leaders in being the first to vaccinate people.
- We are the first to vaccinate people in the world.
- We are vaccinating more people than Europe
- We have on order 150m vials of the vaccines.
- We will produce a world beating programme to vaccinate everyone by Easter
- I have personally overseen the development of the vaccine
- Yes we will have a national lockdown but some schools will remain open.
- But we have a vaccine that is world beating and I promise we will have everyone vaccinated by Easter.

I asked my PHE buddy what he knows...he said ministers still discussing, but looks like Tier4 everywhere plus other restrictions on top. He reckons they will close secondaries but still try and keep primaries open, but he doesn't know. He reckons they will stop easy stuff like grassroots footy, places of worship etc, but he's not sure about the harder stuff like factories. He says it's real bad, all very doom and gloom, London something like 930 cases per 100k, hospitals going under partly because of rising cases but also because NHS staff catching the virus. He thinks there could be more on enforcement...and then after all that he jokingly says...but we've got a vaccine! (I don't think he's convinced vaccines will end this).

3 minutes ago, waltere said:

Yeah he's a fascinating bloke, speaks very well and thoughtfully on a bunch of issues (I've seen him do a talk about Afghanistan and his experiences there - incredible). He was absolutely the best possible outcome from the conservatives as far as I'm concerned. Still a Tory though, so there's some things I disagree on by default.

I think he lectures at a university in the US now.

11 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

That’s what my Covid vaccine brochure said. They are also looking to prioritise all teachers and school support staff. I reckon the army should be utilised to provide logistical support. Second to none when it comes to organisation and cutting through red tape. 

So who's telling the truth, Boris or Nicola?

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Based on one shot May should be pretty achievable given the numbers -2.5 million people, 125k per week.

4 minutes ago, Lycra said:

So who's telling the truth, Boris or Nicola?

Sadly, Neither. Both well behind the curve and in my opinion don’t listen to sage etc hoping their advice is worst case scenarios. ICT beds in Hospitals in my area are full, the Xmas and Hogmanay relaxation has backfired big time. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris