When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

A friend of mine has just landed at UK's main airport, Heathrow. Was empty but no one asked to see any paperwork and he waltzed through unchecked.

And the hand sanitiser machines were still not re-filled!

Always carry your own!

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

No, that's you failing to join up the dots. I'm clearly not confident within those words, as well as it being a restated view from last April.

My view changes when the data changes. Everything changes with covid and you're spouting the same old shite like it's more meaningful than anyone else's take.

I have more if you want?

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

A friend of mine has just landed at UK's main airport, Heathrow. Was empty but no one asked to see any paperwork and he waltzed through unchecked.

And the hand sanitiser machines were still not re-filled!

2m distancing, face coverings and ventilation far more important than sanitiser imo 

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

2m distancing, face coverings and ventilation far more important than sanitiser imo 

The point wasn't about the sanitiser itself, it was about how simple it would be to fill it, showing how totally incompetent they must be not to do so.

In other parts of the world, it's a highly sophisticated quarantine operation and we can't even be organised to fill the dispensers.

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Schools are a weird one as there's little economic cost to closing them, but there's kid's futures instead. I've said this a few times, but my solution is to close schools fully for the next month. No remote learning, they're just shut. Then extend the school year to mid-August and reduce the summer holidays to two weeks. Yes, it's not great for teachers and families who will want a summer holiday, but you still get two weeks, and international travel will probably still be dicey in August anyway. 

There is a huge economic cost.  It's not easy to earn money when you're doing childcare, especially as a freelancer.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

There is a huge economic cost.  It's not easy to earn money when you're doing childcare, especially as a freelancer.

Good point and one I meant to raise earlier.

@DeanoLthe economic cost of closing schools is the millions of parents who now need to take time off work to stay at home with their kids. Obviously many are working from home anyway so it’s a non-issue for them because they can stick the kids channel on TV and crack on with emails. But for those who can’t WFH, they would need to take weeks and months off.

Playing devils advocate here because I support closures, but it’s short term gain but long term pain. Sure we might see less deaths in the next 2-3 months by closing the schools, but it also means that we will suffer due to an uneducated population in future decades. 

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Good point and one I meant to raise earlier.

@DeanoLthe economic cost of closing schools is the millions of parents who now need to take time off work to stay at home with their kids. Obviously many are working from home anyway so it’s a non-issue for them because they can stick the kids channel on TV and crack on with emails. But for those who can’t WFH, they would need to take weeks and months off.

Playing devils advocate here because I support closures, but it’s short term gain but long term pain. Sure we might see less deaths in the next 2-3 months by closing the schools, but it also means that we will suffer due to an uneducated population in future decades. 

The idea of the population getting even thicker is truly terrifying.

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

No, that's you failing to join up the dots. I'm clearly not confident within those words, as well as it being a restated view from last April.

My view changes when the data changes. Everything changes with covid and you're spouting the same old shite like it's more meaningful than anyone else's take.

Don't need any type of spat or drama over this. The simple point is that you stating "I've not seen an single soul suggest that" re no restrictions by Easter, was wrong, as plenty have, consistently.

1 hour ago, topmarksbri said:

We're one of the most CCTV covered nations in the world and it barely gets a mention in most mainstream press. I'm not sure if we can find the data but my view is that most people are luddites when it comes to tech (especially those most at risk from Covid deaths/older people) and I would be surprised if more than 10% turned off location services etc. Obviously difficult to prove! 

Sadly most people aren't luddites, the luddites understood the implications of the new technology and that is why they were against it, it's not the new technology that is the problem but the people in charge of it, the use to which it is put and the additional power it gives them, most people are happy to get a new toy without considering the long term costs to their lives, 5G is a great current example, look at the way it is being marketed, "network envy" smart tech for dumb people.

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Right got a phone call this morning to take part in the Johnson and Johnson vaccine trial. Booked in for next week!

Guess I should double check that it's not going to give me 2 heads now. 

@Toilet Duckthis is a promising candidate right?

I had my first dose (or placebo) a month ago. Can confirm still have one head 🙂