When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

My Mum has been getting on with the red tape and box-ticking online courses in order to be a vaccinator.

I really admire her for doing her part and pitching in, but obviously I'm also nervous about her potential exposure. I know she will be head to toe in PPE (hopefully!) but still a bit worried, as it is her putting herself out there when she otherwise wouldn't have to.

I just want to know that I'll get to see my Mum in a few months - hopefully her efforts and those of others like her, and everyone else already working on the front line, can make that a reality sooner rather than later.

Do they at least let “turn the gun on yourself” in the metaphorical sense? I’d want vaccinated on day 1 as a thank you for signing up to that

3 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

My Mum has been getting on with the red tape and box-ticking online courses in order to be a vaccinator.

I really admire her for doing her part and pitching in, but obviously I'm also nervous about her potential exposure. I know she will be head to toe in PPE (hopefully!) but still a bit worried, as it is her putting herself out there when she otherwise wouldn't have to.

I just want to know that I'll get to see my Mum in a few months - hopefully her efforts and those of others like her, and everyone else already working on the front line, can make that a reality sooner rather than later.

I'm sure she will be fine, especially given she won't be with each patient for long. Also, take it as a comfort that she is going to be enabling other children to be able to see their mums in a few months time, which without her providing vaccination they may not be able to do. Thanks to your mum for all her efforts in helping us turn the corner with this horrible disease!

Still, if you ever need cheering up, the BBC Pidgin page is always worth a look:

''I find it funny because nobody tell us say covid-19 dey attack people for night, nobody tell say corona virus be witch''

Daddy G.O also tell him members to follow all di covid-19 protocols wey goment put for ground.

''Obey goment, wash una hands and observe social distancing''

CAN president bin direct churches in Nigeria to hold cross over night and close early due to di second wave of corona virus in di kontri.

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/55523047

Edited by Copperface

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:
If anyone was wondering I just landed

- not one person looked at my locator form, no temperature checks, no hand sanitizer in several of the dispensers I tried. No mention of the track and trace app anywhere. In Bahrain even supermarkets had these basics set up.

Yep, absolute omnishambles...

we had all summer to sort this sort of shit out and all they did was fuck around with Cummings little whitehall projects and paying people to go out and sit in restaurants together.

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Don't read this one either.

If we manage to make that happen, which I'd say we're uniquely placed to do, I hope the rest of the world refuses to take anyone from this country and just cuts us off. With even a small chance it is shockingly irresponsible to pursue this 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

we had all summer to sort this sort of shit out and all they did was fuck around with Cummings little whitehall projects and paying people to go out and sit in restaurants together.

Yes. It just blows my mind how simple it would be to get this right and just how much they have failed in 9 months.

Even the Passenger Locater Form is a disgrace, repeats the same questions, has no logical flow and runs to about 10 pages with a tonne of mostly completely unnecessary information.

If you didn't know better, you would think they were deliberately messing it up.

9 minutes ago, xxialac said:
If anyone was wondering I just landed

- not one person looked at my locator form, no temperature checks, no hand sanitizer in several of the dispensers I tried. No mention of the track and trace app anywhere. In Bahrain even supermarkets had these basics set up.

Yep, absolute omnishambles...

Absolutely obscene really, having travelled from London to Australia back in November - the level of incompetence at Heathrow vs literally any airport outside of the UK is mental. Singapore, passengers let out in batches, temp checks through arrival, people in queues and the same in Australia.

It's beyond a joke how badly this has been managed.

12 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

If we manage to make that happen, which I'd say we're uniquely placed to do, I hope the rest of the world refuses to take anyone from this country and just cuts us off. With even a small chance it is shockingly irresponsible to pursue this 

I read that thread. Hes assuming that almost a third of people won't go back for a second dose? That's way too high. 

I'm... dubious because having more people with some protection will make the infections a lot less prevalent 

6 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Absolutely obscene really, having travelled from London to Australia back in November - the level of incompetence at Heathrow vs literally any airport outside of the UK is mental. Singapore, passengers let out in batches, temp checks through arrival, people in queues and the same in Australia.

I flew to Spain on Thursday and felt like I was being met by the Gestapo.

Shapps may be the hapless (shapless?) face of this but for me this falls squarely under Patel's brief.

For all her rhetoric, Patel is a disaster clusterfuck when it comes to her job of looking after home security. 

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

I flew to Spain on Thursday and felt like I was being met by the Gestapo.

Shapps may be the hapless (shapless?) face of this but for me this falls squarely under Patel's brief.

For all her rhetoric, Patel is a disaster clusterfuck when it comes to her job of looking after home security. 

They’re all freaking useless. 

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I read that thread. Hes assuming that almost a third of people won't go back for a second dose? That's way too high. 

I'm... dubious because having more people with some protection will make the infections a lot less prevalent 

But isnt that first dose more to prevent serious illness not stop it infecting you? My grandad had his first one and still caught it - that's the virus interacting with the vaccine right there, times that by millions and it could be a concern

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

But isnt that first dose more to prevent serious illness not stop it infecting you? My grandad had his first one and still caught it - that's the virus interacting with the vaccine right there, times that by millions and it could be a concern

How long after his first dose did he get infected?

Edit: sorry if you've already answered this question.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Its supposed to be both. Sorry to hear that he caught it still. It takes around 10 days to 'activated i read after dose 1

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

How long after his first dose did he get infected?

Edit: sorry if you've already answered this question.

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Its supposed to be both. Sorry to hear that he caught it still. It takes around 10 days to 'activated i read after dose 1

He managed to catch it in hospital - he was admitted for something  unrelated on 24th, but only tested positive on 2nd Jan, which was 17 days after the vaccine. We presume there were regular tests in the meantime and he definitely will have been tested on admission (my mum got every 3 days in summer when things weren't so bad so presumably no less now) so he must've caught it in between those dates. 

He seems fine, when my money would have been on him not being considering he has autoimmune issues. 

They're still giving him his second dose this week - which is an interesting one! 

Edited by efcfanwirral

11 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They’re all freaking useless. 

Braverman is one of the worst. A stooge of a 'lawyer' who is willing to openly break the law.

She also writes complete tosh, such as yesterday:

"We begin the next chapter in our story of democracy which, like our history, will lead to a fairer and more prosperous society.

Free to make our own laws now, we will tailor them to British needs. It also reflects the reverence that our political leaders hold for the British electorate. The British people made their wishes clear in 2016 and 2019. The British were brave and never flinched in the face of crisis, opposition, and attempts to subvert. Their request was bold and it has been granted by this government.

There is now a huge opportunity for us to emphatically embrace this new freedom and sovereignty as we write the next chapter about the British genius for democracy."

I feel sick...

12 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

He managed to catch it in hospital - he was admitted for something  unrelated on 24th, but only tested positive on 2nd Jan, which was 17 days after the vaccine. We presume there were regular tests in the meantime and he definitely will have been tested on admission (my mum got every 3 days in summer when things weren't so bad so presumably no less now) so he must've caught it in between those dates. 

He seems fine, when my money would have been on him not being considering he has autoimmune issues. 

They're still giving him his second dose this week - which is an interesting one! 

Hmm, that's right on the edge of the vaccine having kicked in if you assume he was infected a few days before the test.  With a covid infection AND two doses of vaccine, he'll probably be invulnerable to the thing soon!

Edited by stuartbert two hats

41 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

We flew back from the Philippines in February to Lisbon via Heathrow, just as it was all kicking off..

Full checks in the Philippines, Kuala Lumpur and Lisbon... Not a thing at Heathrow! 

FT: UK economy set to be one of the last to recover from pandemic

Annual FT survey of the leading economists warns of ‘groaning twenties’, with soaring unemployment and a return to austerity likely .The vast majority of those responding to the FT’s annual survey said UK GDP would not regain its previous level until the second half of 2022, or later. Many said that political mismanagement of both the Covid-19 crisis and of Brexit had ensured the UK would underperform other richer countries — and that the biggest risk to the economy in 2021 was that an over-thrifty chancellor would damage the recovery by tightening fiscal policy too early. “The UK will be among the last, if not the last, of the high-income economies to regain its pre-pandemic size,” said Adam Posen, president of the Peterson Institute for International Economics and a former member of the Bank of England’s monetary policy committee.

“We'll have the groaning twenties, not the roaring twenties,” said Nick Bosquanet, professor of health policy at Imperial College. Britain has a bigger hill to climb than others because its economy suffered more in the early stages of the pandemic — a fact that Diane Coyle, professor at Cambridge university, ascribed partly to “indecisive or inadequate policy responses”, while Vicky Pryce, at the Centre for Economics and Business Research, blamed “the lateness of the lockdown measures and an appalling communications strategy”.

AT WHAT POINT DO WE SAY 'ENOUGH' TO THIS SHAMBOLIC GOVERNMENT?

10 minutes ago, xxialac said:

FT: UK economy set to be one of the last to recover from pandemic

Annual FT survey of the leading economists warns of ‘groaning twenties’, with soaring unemployment and a return to austerity likely .The vast majority of those responding to the FT’s annual survey said UK GDP would not regain its previous level until the second half of 2022, or later. Many said that political mismanagement of both the Covid-19 crisis and of Brexit had ensured the UK would underperform other richer countries — and that the biggest risk to the economy in 2021 was that an over-thrifty chancellor would damage the recovery by tightening fiscal policy too early. “The UK will be among the last, if not the last, of the high-income economies to regain its pre-pandemic size,” said Adam Posen, president of the Peterson Institute for International Economics and a former member of the Bank of England’s monetary policy committee.

“We'll have the groaning twenties, not the roaring twenties,” said Nick Bosquanet, professor of health policy at Imperial College. Britain has a bigger hill to climb than others because its economy suffered more in the early stages of the pandemic — a fact that Diane Coyle, professor at Cambridge university, ascribed partly to “indecisive or inadequate policy responses”, while Vicky Pryce, at the Centre for Economics and Business Research, blamed “the lateness of the lockdown measures and an appalling communications strategy”.

AT WHAT POINT DO WE SAY 'ENOUGH' TO THIS SHAMBOLIC GOVERNMENT?

We’ve sadly had the worst of both worlds, one of the worst death rates and worst recessions in the world. Yet they say they’ve been ahead of the curve 😞

''There are 730 vaccination centres at the moment, with a further 180 and 100 more hospital sites scheduled to open this week.''

This is from the Guardian and I think it just refers to England. That makes just over 1000 vaccination centres soon.

If each site does 500 doses a day, that is 500,000 doses given out per day and well over 2 million a week. With the right supply that seems do able surely? Oxford say that production will be 2 million doses a week by mid January and then there is still Pfizer too!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1