When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, PolygonWindow said:

I cannot imagine how bleak it would be rn if there was no vaccine. I mean, it’s bleak anyway but oh my god, unimaginable.

It'd be worse because you'd be asking people to endure an open ended lockdown. At the moment, you can have limited lockdown until the vaccine roll out. 

3 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I’m presuming the lifting of the lockdown (pre-ordained to appease Tory backbencher)  is when it it switched from going down, to suddenly going vertical?

Yes, I mean the cases were raising in London anyway but were being hidden by decreases in other parts of the country. 

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

It'd be worse because you'd be asking people to endure an open ended lockdown. At the moment, you can have limited lockdown until the vaccine roll out. 

Is the general consensus that daily figures will begin to (slightly) look better end of jan/ early Feb due to imminent rollout? You’ll have to excuse me as I haven’t been monitoring this thread as much as I should have. 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep  it  doesn’t help an overall compliance picture with the lockdown breaches from footballers all over the news of late ... fixtures off left right and centre ... I’d guess that it will stop with any national lockdown ... they won’t be able to justify sport as essential travel 

Yeah. Can't see much organised mass sport continuing a meaningful format for much longer. And the enormous international events which need to planned many months in advance are really shaky at the moment. I'm resigned to the Lions not going ahead (especially with the problems SA is having currently), I could possibly see the Euros going ahead in fewer countries with no spectators due to TV money (which they have already planned for), and the Olympics similarly. Not sure that the Olympics will happen, would be a really weird setup. Nowt less interesting than watching someone run round  a track in an empty stadium.

5 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Yeah. Can't see much organised mass sport continuing a meaningful format for much longer. And the enormous international events which need to planned many months in advance are really shaky at the moment. I'm resigned to the Lions not going ahead (especially with the problems SA is having currently), I could possibly see the Euros going ahead in fewer countries with no spectators due to TV money (which they have already planned for), and the Olympics similarly. Not sure that the Olympics will happen, would be a really weird setup. Nowt less interesting than watching someone run round  a track in an empty stadium.

Japan have been having crowds for sports and music events for the last 6 months or so. They are probably going to have a strict lockdown for a couple of months from next week to prepare for the Olympics going ahead. 

Gonna be difficult but it won't be crowdless if it goes ahead 

53 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It doesn't seem to be on the news that much, maybe I'm missing it.

You're not. It won't make the news. For that to happen would be an admission of failure. Doesn't suit their narrative. 
Social media, while a cesspool, has been invaluable for finding out the reality of this whole situation.

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Japan have been having crowds for sports and music events for the last 6 months or so. They are probably going to have a strict lockdown for a couple of months from next week to prepare for the Olympics going ahead. 

Gonna be difficult but it won't be crowdless if it goes ahead 

The Olympics? I hope it doesn't clash with Glastonbury 😆😆😆😆😭😭😭😭😭

15 minutes ago, PolygonWindow said:

Is the general consensus that daily figures will begin to (slightly) look better end of jan/ early Feb due to imminent rollout? You’ll have to excuse me as I haven’t been monitoring this thread as much as I should have. 

Hopefully due to lockdown/restrictions then case numbers should start coming down in a week or two, and then that plus vaccines will bring the hospitalisations and deaths down a week or two after that. So yeah, end of Jan and early Feb things should hopefully start looking better. But, not sure when they will lift restrictions.

8 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

You're not. It won't make the news. For that to happen would be an admission of failure. Doesn't suit their narrative. 
Social media, while a cesspool, has been invaluable for finding out the reality of this whole situation.

I’d have thought Sky News would want to show or give air time to hospitals struggling like that. To me this is the biggest news. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Hopefully due to lockdown/restrictions then case numbers should start coming down in a week or two, and then that plus vaccines will bring the hospitalisations and deaths down a week or two after that. So yeah, end of Jan and early Feb things should hopefully start looking better. But, not sure when they will lift restrictions.

Fingers crossed we go into a strict lockdown immediately, then back into the current tiers around early Feb when hospitalisations/deaths (again fingers crossed) start to come down.

My Mum has been getting on with the red tape and box-ticking online courses in order to be a vaccinator.

I really admire her for doing her part and pitching in, but obviously I'm also nervous about her potential exposure. I know she will be head to toe in PPE (hopefully!) but still a bit worried, as it is her putting herself out there when she otherwise wouldn't have to.

I just want to know that I'll get to see my Mum in a few months - hopefully her efforts and those of others like her, and everyone else already working on the front line, can make that a reality sooner rather than later.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

My Mum has been getting on with the red tape and box-ticking online courses in order to be a vaccinator.

I really admire her for doing her part and pitching in, but obviously I'm also nervous about her potential exposure. I know she will be head to toe in PPE (hopefully!) but still a bit worried, as it is her putting herself out there when she otherwise wouldn't have to.

I just want to know that I'll get to see my Mum in a few months - hopefully her efforts and those of others like her, and everyone else already working on the front line, can make that a reality sooner rather than later.

she's a hero

2 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Full kudous and thanks to your mum ... I’ve been thinking of doing one of the helping roles but unfortunately have wimped out because I don’t want to increase my exposure