When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Aren't Moderna locked into only supplying the US until Spring?

Moderna are from their production facility in the US,  Lonza in Switzerland will be making doses for Europe and elsewhere. No reason why other manufacturers can’t be found to increase production (Moderna themselves are aiming for 100m doses in 2021, which isn’t much, but they’re not vaccine manufacturers, they’ve never made anything at scale before this). 

10 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Moderna are from their production facility in the US,  Lonza in Switzerland will be making doses for Europe and elsewhere. No reason why other manufacturers can’t be found to increase production (Moderna themselves are aiming for 100m doses in 2021, which isn’t much, but they’re not vaccine manufacturers, they’ve never made anything at scale before this). 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/17/rishi-sunak-refuses-to-say-if-he-will-profit-from-moderna-covid-vaccine

Rishi will be happy. The Moderna vaccine will also be the most expensive one approved to date, at an estimated $25 a pop.

9 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Teachers unions are having a meeting at this moment with regards to going back, if the teachers decide to not go in then the schools will probably be closed because the staffing simply wouldn't be there 

Good on them, it's about time people started taking the power back - we are not simply economic drones. The teachers feel unsafe and I totally support this.

It's about time wider society took a page out of this book with regards to work and pay.

28 minutes ago, charlierc said:

That's something I've never got. Just because you can use long words and abstract similes doesn't make you a good communicator, and I should know given I've been criticised for doing both in chats with friends in the past. It might work for dinner parties or writing long-winded opinion columns but it doesn't work when faced with a massive crisis, and well, this is one and its just not working.

But its a variation on a theme - it amazes me that we have a government featuring former journalists in prominent positions, have expensive PR teams and spin doctors at their beck & call and have spent most of the last year being the only real organisation buying advertising space on TV/online/radio/print/billboards, and yet the communication is so consistently terrible. Its just bizarre.

and yet he'll still win the next election...

2 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

It is for now. 

I wasnt being 100% serious re tier 5, but I suspect that further tightening of restrictions, akin to March, are going to be announced

Ah, gotcha. Yes, when I think about how this has been handled so far, it makes complete sense that in this shitshow, there would be a higher level of restrictions, above and beyond the highest level, should the need arise.

And then the politicians and media bleat and scream when the public fail to adhere to their incomprehensible and inconsistent rules and advice. FFS.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

It’s like they don’t want to use the words national lockdown because it’s a bad image to portray ... Tier 5 is going to be schools isn’t it? Anything else ?  .... but they will leave the odd area out just so they can say it’s not a national lockdown 

Mandatory masks indoors? Restriction on distance you can be from home? Curfews at night?

39 minutes ago, zahidf said:

That's the closest I've got so far to understanding the science behind Tenet.

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

and yet he'll still win the next election...

I was under the assumption the Tories would change leader in 2023. But that means predicting the future, and we've all just had a decade-long crash course in how shit we can be at predicting anything.

I took 2 things from that programme.

1. Confirmation that Andrew Marr is a poor interviewer which is why Johnson agrees to appear on the show knowing that he won't be seriously challenged in contrast to his refusal to appear on Andrew Neil and the government avoiding Newsnight like the plague. Marr also twice pushed the misinformation that people will only get a single jab until somebody had a word in his ear - unprepared and unprofessional.

2.  More interesting was a Murdoch journalist twice criticising the government for a lack of forward planning, could Johnson be losing support from the Murdoch press? Even Marr managed to ask him if he would be staying on as PM, unfortunately but not unsurprisingly he said that he would.

Everything from the Johnson interview was guff.

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Mandatory masks indoors? Restriction on distance you can be from home? Curfews at night?

Yep .... all of those needed now for definate .... the thing is the ones that will comply with the masks  will be the ones who will likely be the ones that are taking the most precautions to avoid it and be the less risk .... compliance indoors would be a better thing to sort for me than the outdoor thing .... although that might be a factor with the new strain 

1 hour ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Absolutely. They don't even need foresight in this case - they have nearly 12 months of hindsight to work with, and even that isn't enough.

I was discussing this the other day but was told by someone on here that no government will have got this correct and it doesn’t really matter that they don’t learn from their mistakes and don’t act fast enough (I’m paraphrasing). This is the thing though they don’t learn from any of their mistakes and as a result lives are going to be effected.

Johnson is the worst possible Prime Minister to have to in place at the worst possible time.

Edited by Ozanne

At least we're over the most dangerous periods, Christmas and New Year. We'll soon see what damage they did, but now it's just winter months with no reason to congregate (apart from vaccination stations of course), and people are more likely to stay indoors.