When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

30 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This is what Richard Burgon and co were calling for last summer...instead of the "eat out to help out learn to live with it go back to work you lazy bastards" government policies.

I do seem to recall Burgon as an outlier calling for a "zero covid" strategy before the mass reopening of things in July, the Eat Out to Help Out thing or the rush to send everyone back to uni and offices in September. But I feel like it'll just hit a brick wall - these kind of measures aren't political, and yet are viewed through a relentlessly political narrative that needs confrontation. Which is part of the barriers to overcome if pushing for such an approach now.

29 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Every single scientist/doctor/med expert everywhere that I have seen states that the virus will never be eradicated. We will have to learn to coexist and control the spread through both therapeutic and non therapeutic measures. China and NZ will be doing the same. They cannot exist in isolation.

Ah what a shame that is. Maybe there was a point where that could've happened, but perhaps both the nature of the virus and the fact its on every continent makes such a goal far too ambitious.

It feels like this is a virus that, whenever any attempt is made to loosen things up, it just explodes again. So in the long run, what would coexisting with it plausibly look like?

20 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

No they eliminated it, didn’t eradicate. NZ is only ever a day away from importing new cases and having to start all over again.

Fine. And in fairness, I do seem to recall this has happened at least once, when NZ had a period of no community transmission on its islands then non-NZ people brought the virus in after slipping through the cracks and areas had to be locked down again. Australia has seemed to have had the same issues, given Melbourne and Sydney have been subject to periodic lockdowns.

32 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Brexit Party are becoming Reform UK, looking at getting voting reform. 

... I seem to recall that being mentioned a little while ago, now I think about it. Though it does feel like, post-Brexit, Farage is someone in search of a new niche that he just can't seem to find. Well unless he pisses off to America to join the right wing media machine as he has previously threatened to do.

14 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Actually I got it wrong.

They have a picture of him eating a pie slightly awkwardly.

Johnson's honest mistakes of the last 12 months you can forgive but for this, Starmer's political career is over.

Quite something that the US system means all their candidates seemingly have to be seen stuffing their faces with junk food but in the UK, you're apparently toast if you do that.

29 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

‘Vote for Keir and get Nicola and the break up of Britain’. 

I have posted this previously, this is what the tories wanted to portray in 2015, the reality in 2017 was quite different. Not saying they won’t use the same scare tactics.

5DEC4A81-DF2D-47DD-838C-B0CC4E8D2A18.jpeg

CB9632CB-34B4-42C9-B57E-ED1803410BF5.jpeg

Edited by Cherry Tree

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

so do we think Tier 4 is going to help ? no drop off noticeable in London yet ... although Christmas will be hitting now ?

There shouldn't be any Xmas surge in the areas that were Tier 4 pre Christmas. 

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

It’s either that or another Tory government? 

There is no scenario where this doesn't happen - they have the media, social media, big business and no conscience on side. If somehow people are convinced one time to vote labour, those entites will make life in England very unpleasant until the Tories are back in. That's the power they have

Edited by efcfanwirral

55 minutes ago, charlierc said:

It feels like this is a virus that, whenever any attempt is made to loosen things up, it just explodes again. So in the long run, what would coexisting with it plausibly look like?

Mass vaccination completely changes everything. It finally makes reality the idea that we'll "live with COVID". It won't go away entirely, but it will be less deadly than influenza and we'll get on with life again.

13 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Dutch bike export company.

They must want us to be forced to only buy British everything - surely thats the only reason to impose rules like this?

No wonder they're letting the virus spread and keeping this schools thing going - they need the distraction over the next few weeks for all of this coming out! 

Edited by efcfanwirral