When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

If it's not safe for teachers what industries is it not safe for? Becomes a very slippery slope. 

All of them where social distancing and masks aren't practical.

Anyway, it's not the start of a slippery slope, it's the bottom. There's not a lot left to close that's not involved in supporting life.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Not even sure if anyone cares or even reads the posts I’ve been making over the last few days with regard to returning to school (secondary) this week but I have an update: 

Remote learning at my school consists of all teaching staff being in all this coming week and streaming from within school because, from what I’ve been told by someone who’s partner is on SMT, SMT collectively can’t be bothered to sort all of the key worker / vulnerable children into pods as they did back in the summer, so all of those students are following their normal timetable, in normal classrooms, so all staff need to be in their usual rooms all week in case there are any children in there, and then teach/stream the lesson from in school. So we will likely be looking at a minimum of zero and a maximum of 2 students in class and then the rest at home. 

150+ teaching staff coming in all week, along with the 100+ key worker/vulnerable children, when the whole point of pushing back the start of term was to reduce the amount of people in school. It is maddening. We have the technology at our fingertips at home; 150+ staff should not all coming in this week. 

I wondered earlier in the week if this was a compulsory thing for all schools moving into this coming week, however, it is not (the school one of my mate’s teaches at aren't, my collegue’s sister’s school aren’t and another colleague’s children’s school aren’t). 

I very much care,  so thanks. My kid is year 11.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

This is an INCREDIBLE read.

By way of comparison flew into the UK 7 times last year post covid.

Not once did anyone ask to see my passenger locator form (let alone the rest).

Reading that, you realise why we're doomed- our governments would never think of doing any of that, and even if they did, are so hapless they could never pull it off. 

Instead we have stuff like 'eat out to help out'- it's beyond ridiculous, it's like we set out to see how bad we could make this.

Edited by Mr.Tease

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

All of them where social distancing and masks aren't practical.

Anyway, it's not the start of a slippery slope, it's the bottom. There's not a lot left to close that's not involved in supporting life.

all these click and collect services for starters .... the auction centre next door to me .... the firework shop ... all stops people making non essential journeys 

6 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Irrespective of her other views - she's not wrong though.

People like her went from "don't do anything" at the start of the disaster, and eventually pivoted to "nothing can be done"

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

That's an incredible and sobering table. Remind me, how much does a vaccine actually cost (ignoring availability of that vaccine)

Unless I am misreading the table, that cost of vaccine * 20 is the cost to us to save one persons life if they are in care home (assuming infinite availability of vaccine which I know we don't have)

Crumbs, that's frightening, we really need to focus on the availability, and administering, of the vaccine

Edited by dingbat2

1 minute ago, dingbat2 said:

That's an incredible and sobering table. Remind me, how much does a vaccine actually cost (ignoring availability of that vaccine)

Unless I am misreading the table, that cost of vaccine * 20 is the cost to us to save one persons life if they are in care home (assuming infinite availability of vaccine which I know we don't have)

Crumbs, that's frightening, we really need to focus on the availability of the vaccine

The cost of each vaccine varies wildly and isn't as simple as a defined price.

Off the top of my head (Google will get you exact numbers) the often quoted list prices have Oxford/AZ at the low end for around $4 a shot, Moderna is at the high end at around $35 a shot (so double those for 2 doses). But obviously list prices can be negotiated when you're talking about quantities in the millions.

Even the negotiated prices likely won't reflect what the UK Government ultimately ends up paying at least for some of them - for example in the case of the Oxford/AZ vaccine (and a couple others that are potentially on the horizon), the deal goes beyond a simple purchase agreement - the government have underwritten, guaranteed, or directly taken out contracts with commercial contract manufacturers to reserve significant capacity (Wockhardt and others for the Oxford/AZ vaccine, Fujifilm Diosynth for the Novavax vaccine) as a way of ensuring both that the manufacturing can take place in the UK theoretically unimpeded and also that any supplies manufactured go to the UK first before being offered for sale abroad. Contracts like those will significantly add to the cost and as best I can tell the way they're structured means the actual effective cost per dose likely won't be known until the dust settles.

42 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Irrespective of her other views - she's not wrong though.

The headline is "Trying to lock down until Covid is eradicated would be dangerous folly".

Nobody has suggested that.

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

My mates just got her email from the union advising her not to go into work. 

Schools have to be asked to close by the government though otherwise the teachers aren’t getting paid. They are effectively taking strike action by not going in. 

Legal minefield right there.

15 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

My mates just got her email from the union advising her not to go into work. 

Schools have to be asked to close by the government though otherwise the teachers aren’t getting paid. They are effectively taking strike action by not going in. 

People are saying it's  section 44 of the employment act that allows it.

https://labourlist.org/2020/05/returning-to-work-section-44-explained