When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, Homer said:

For those who were asking about schools, re Scotland, I happened to ask my mate this morning who is a teacher up there and he said their return has been delayed to the 18th.

This was a decision made before the holidays, start date was the 6th and has been moved to the 11th with remote learning until the 18th. I wouldn't be surprised if remote learning lasts longer than a week in reality.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

F61B39FF-C1E3-425F-8144-C801BE052848.png

Yea I think all school unions are now calling for teachers/education staff NOT to go into school on Monday due to health and safety. 
I have no idea what I’m going to do, on one hand I completely agree with what unions are saying, and think schools aren’t safe to be open given the resigning numbers and ability for the virus to spread fast in schools, but also I’ve heard nothing from my school so I don’t know

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

This is an INCREDIBLE read.

By way of comparison flew into the UK 7 times last year post covid.

Not once did anyone ask to see my passenger locator form (let alone the rest).

We have dropped the ball so hard on general airport restrictions, quarantining, testing, tracing and I wish more people would talk about it because it's been such a huge part of why as a country we've been completely fucked.

I've honestly no idea why they've never bothered to fix it. It's been this way right since the start of the pandemic when they let in thousands of foreign football fans. We let infected people stroll in unchecked and not properly traced every single day.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jack.194 said:

Yea I think all school unions are now calling for teachers/education staff NOT to go into school on Monday due to health and safety. 
I have no idea what I’m going to do, on one hand I completely agree with what unions are saying, and think schools aren’t safe to be open given the resigning numbers and ability for the virus to spread fast in schools, but also I’ve heard nothing from my school so I don’t know

hold out ... im sure you will soon , there needs to be massive solidarity behind teachers on this .... much respect to you guys ...

3 minutes ago, Jack.194 said:

are they going to make this a teachers vs the people thing?

7 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

We have dropped the ball so hard on general airport restrictions, quarantining, testing, tracing and I wish more people would talk about it because it's been such a huge part of why as a country we've been completely fucked.

I've honestly no idea why they've never bothered to fix it. It's been this way right since the start of the pandemic when they let in thousands of foreign football fans. We let infected people stroll in unchecked and not properly traced every single day.

Another aspect where the government refused to learn from other countries. So many of these issues we could have mitigated. 

18 minutes ago, mcshed said:

This was a decision made before the holidays, start date was the 6th and has been moved to the 11th with remote learning until the 18th. I wouldn't be surprised if remote learning lasts longer than a week in reality.

Not even sure if anyone cares or even reads the posts I’ve been making over the last few days with regard to returning to school (secondary) this week but I have an update: 

Remote learning at my school consists of all teaching staff being in all this coming week and streaming from within school because, from what I’ve been told by someone who’s partner is on SMT, SMT collectively can’t be bothered to sort all of the key worker / vulnerable children into pods as they did back in the summer, so all of those students are following their normal timetable, in normal classrooms, so all staff need to be in their usual rooms all week in case there are any children in there, and then teach/stream the lesson from in school. So we will likely be looking at a minimum of zero and a maximum of 2 students in class and then the rest at home. 

150+ teaching staff coming in all week, along with the 100+ key worker/vulnerable children, when the whole point of pushing back the start of term was to reduce the amount of people in school. It is maddening. We have the technology at our fingertips at home; 150+ staff should not all coming in this week. 

I wondered earlier in the week if this was a compulsory thing for all schools moving into this coming week, however, it is not (the school one of my mate’s teaches at aren't, my collegue’s sister’s school aren’t and another colleague’s children’s school aren’t). 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Until you read the article which says - seems ok at moment. We don't know etc etc. 

This constant stream of sensationalist headlines is of benefit to no one to be honest and just seems to reinforce what people want to believe by finding relevant attention grabbing headlines.

NHS where i work has started vaccination programme starting with over 50s (staff) so all good.

10 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

It's totally bizarre.

You have a completely captive audience, you can control them perfectly and...

...zero controls. 

Also not once was I phoned or checked at my address.

2 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Until you read the article which says - seems ok at moment. We don't know etc etc. 

This constant stream of sensationalist headlines is of benefit to no one to be honest and just seems to reinforce what people want to believe by finding relevant attention grabbing headlines.

NHS where i work has started vaccination programme starting with over 50s (staff) so all good.

Keep Calm and Carry On.

2 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

If it's not safe for teachers what industries is it not safe for? Becomes a very slippery slope. 

Exactly. I’d say my 62-year-old mum sat on a checkout at a till in Tesco all day is at very high risk. No one seems to be bothered about people in her situation.

2 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Too true! You can predict much of what the media has as headlines which is the worst possible scenario without fail. If one so called expert predicts disaster and 50 others don’t, guess what they run with...

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Not even sure if anyone cares or even reads the posts I’ve been making over the last few days with regard to returning to school (secondary) this week but I have an update: 

Remote learning at my school consists of all teaching staff being in all this coming week and streaming from within school because, from what I’ve been told by someone who’s partner is on SMT, SMT collectively can’t be bothered to sort all of the key worker / vulnerable children into pods as they did back in the summer, so all of those students are following their normal timetable, in normal classrooms, so all staff need to be in their usual rooms all week in case there are any children in there, and then teach/stream the lesson from in school. So we will likely be looking at a minimum of zero and a maximum of 2 students in class and then the rest at home. 

150+ teaching staff coming in all week, along with the 100+ key worker/vulnerable children, when the whole point of pushing back the start of term was to reduce the amount of people in school. It is maddening. We have the technology at our fingertips at home; 150+ staff should not all coming in this week. 

I wondered earlier in the week if this was a compulsory thing for all schools moving into this coming week, however, it is not (the school one of my mate’s teaches at aren't, my collegue’s sister’s school aren’t and another colleague’s children’s school aren’t). 

I believe that up here(Scotland) because the decision to start the new term remotely was taken before the end of last term teachers aren't being asked to physically attend school unless they are teaching key workers' and vulnerable kids.

3 minutes ago, duke88 said:

Exactly. I’d say my 62-year-old mum sat on a checkout at a till in Tesco all day is at very high risk. No one seems to be bothered about people in her situation.

no one ? is that because she has no union representation ? or nothing decent ? 

3 minutes ago, duke88 said:

supermarket checkout workers can have a shield between them and customers...teachers can't really, especially with little kids.

Just now, steviewevie said:

supermarket checkout workers can have a shield between them and customers...teachers can't really, especially with little kids.

Yep and teachers spend more time in close proximity to the children.

That said, I think supermarkets have done a poor job protecting their staff.

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

no one ? is that because she has no union representation ? or nothing decent ? 

I just meant supermarket workers in general - not her specifically. They meet more of the public than anyone, and there’s never any mention of them getting priority for vaccines etc.